Applications are currently being received for the Québec Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students. The Scholarship is offered by the Québec’s Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur (MEES) and the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) to support international students willing to pursue doctoral studies, a Postdoctoral fellowship, or short-term research or professional development.
Administered by Fonds québécois de la recherche sur la nature et les technologies (FQRNT), the Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE) has been designed to foster international research activities in Québec universities by attracting top foreign students and researchers.
At Université Laval (Québec – Canada), there are three Québec Merit Scholarship categories: V1 (Doctoral Research Scholarships), V2 (Postdoctoral Fellowships), V3 (Short-term Research or Professional Development).
- Host institution: Université Laval, Québec – Canada.
- Fields of study: All available PhD and postdoc programmes at the Université Laval.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: up to three years, with the possibility to extend for up to 12 months.
- Eligible countries: Open to all nationalities.
Québec Merit Scholarship Benefits
Selected candidates for the scholarship will have the following benefits:
V1 – Doctoral Research Scholarships: $25,000 per year for up to three years, with the possibility to extend for up to 12 months ($1,000 per month)
V2 – Postdoctoral Fellowships: $35,000 per year, non-renewable
V3 – Short-term Research or Professional Development: $3,000 per month for a maximum period of four months, for students or researchers.
For the 2021–2022 competition, payments will start in May 2021 at the earliest and January 2022 at the latest.
Québec Merit Scholarship Eligibility
To be eligible for the Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE), you must first find a Université Laval supervisor who will agree to supervise your work. Visit the Université Laval website to begin your search. In addition, applicants must meet the following criteria:
Furthermore, candidates must have not submitted an application for permanent residency under Canadian immigration law as of the closing date of FRQNT’s final selection, November 1, 2020.
V1 – Doctoral Research Scholarships
- Candidates must have applied for admission to a doctoral program at Université Laval or already be registered at Université Laval.
- You must have had a minimum GPA of 4/4.33 in your last Master’s program (completed or not) to be eligible. Click here for equivalencies (French only).
- Students must have at least two (2) scientific articles accepted by or published in a peer-reviewed journal. For students in a research-creation program, artistic achievements will be also considered.
- Co-supervision programs are not eligible.
V2 and V3 – Postdoctoral Fellowships, Short-term Research or Professional Development
- V2 scholarships are intended for researchers in training who received their doctorate two years ago or less as of the competition closing date, or who will have submitted their dissertation no later than January 15, 2022.
- V3 applicants must have received their PhD within five years of the final closing date of the FRQNT competition, November 1, 2020.
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung scholarship for Master and PHD degrees in Germany;
- World Bank Group Young Professionals Program Benefits;
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research);
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship;
- Global PhD Scholarship in Computer Science For All;
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships.
Eligible applicants must click on the apply button below and follow instructions to submit their applications.
For any request, please send your questions to [email protected].
The deadline to submit your application at Université Laval is . For more detail on the Québec Merit Scholarship at Université Laval for Foreign Students, please visit the official page.