The University of Melbourne Scholarships are open for Australian and International students to pursue undergraduate or postgraduate research degree programs at the university. Approximately 1600 scholarships will be awarded in all subject areas to eligible students. About 1000 scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate students and around 600 to graduate students.
The Graduate Research Scholarships program is a fully funded program that will provide 100% fee remission and up to $110,000. The scholarship is awarded to eligible domestic and international students (based on academic merit) who are offered admission to Masters by Research or doctoral degree (Ph.D.) at the University of Melbourne. Eligible applicants are scored and ranked according to their academic achievement of their last completed degree and their research potential in their field of study
The Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarship program provides around one (1) thousand scholarships to international students undertaking undergraduate study at the University of Melbourne. The undergraduate scholarship award up to 100 percent fee remission. There are other scholarships offered to undergraduate students that you may also apply for, to offset other fees.
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is a public research university in Australia. It makes distinctive contributions to society in research, learning, teaching, and engagement.
- Host institution: University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Fields of study: Any eligible graduate research degree offered at the University of Melbourne.
- Number of awards: About 1600 (Approximately 1000 for undergraduate and 600 for graduate students).
- Duration: up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree and up to four years for students undertaking a PhD degree.
- Eligible countries: Open to all Nationalities.
University of Melbourne Scholarships Benefits
The University of Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarship is a fully funded program while the undergraduate program is partially funded.
The Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarship provides either a:
- $10,000 tuition fee remission in the first year of an undergraduate degree
- 50 per cent fee remission for the three-year duration of an undergraduate degree, or
- 100 per cent fee remission for the three-year duration of an undergraduate degree
Master and PhD students
The Melbourne Graduate Research Scholarship provides two types of scholarships namely: (i) stipend and fee offset scholarships (ii) fee offset scholarships:
A: Stipend and fee offset scholarships
- Full fee offset for up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree or up to four years for students undertaking a PhD degree.
- Living allowance of $34,400 per year pro rata (2023 full-time study rate) for up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree or up to 3.5 years for students undertaking a PhD degree. The living allowance may be indexed annually and includes limited paid sick maternity and parenting leave.
- Relocation grant of $2000 for students moving from States or Territories other than Victoria or $3000 for students moving from outside Australia.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Single Membership for international students who require a student visa to study in Australia.
B: Fee offset scholarships
- Full fee offset for up to two years for students undertaking a Masters by Research degree or
- up to four years for students undertaking a doctoral degree.
Available Fields of Study for the Scholarship
Available fields of study at Faculties and graduate schools of the University of Melbourne.
- Architecture, Building and Planning (Melbourne School of Design)
- Arts (Faculty of Arts, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Business and Economics (Faculty of Business and Economics, Melbourne Business School, Melbourne School of Professional and Continuing Education )
- Education (Melbourne Graduate School of Education)
- Engineering (Melbourne School of Engineering, School of Computing and Information Systems)
- Fine Arts and Music (Faculty of Fine Arts and Music, Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne Conservatorium of Music)
- Law (Melbourne Law School, Melbourne School of Government)
- Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences (Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, Melbourne Dental School, Melbourne Medical School, Melbourne School of Health Sciences, Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences, School of Biomedical Sciences)
- Science (Faculty of Science, School of Biosciences, School of Chemistry, School of Earth Sciences, School of Ecosystem and Forest Sciences, School of Geography, School of Mathematics and Statistics, School of Physics)
- Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences (Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences).
Please click here to see the full list of undergraduate and graduate programs at the university of Melbourne.
University of Melbourne Scholarships Eligibility
To apply for this university scholarship program, candidates must meet the following requirements:
To apply for a Graduate Research Scholarship, you must be someone who:
- have applied for and meet the entry requirements for a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne, or
- is currently enrolled in a graduate research degree at the University of Melbourne.
To be eligible for the Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarship, you must:
- be a citizen of a country other than Australia and New Zealand and not a permanent resident of Australia;
- have completed secondary school outside Australia or a foundation program in Australia
- have received an unconditional offer for an undergraduate course at the University of Melbourne;
- have a secondary school result that places you in the top 3%, such as:
- GCE A-levels: at least three A* grades with numerical grades and an average result of at least 93% in the best three subjects
- Most Australian Foundation Studies: an overall result at least 98%
- International Baccalaureate (IB): a score of at least 42 (must be completed at a secondary school outside of Australia)
- US High School: a GPA of at least 3.9 in combination with a SAT of at least 1500 or a ACT of at least 31
- Canada Secondary School: an overall score of at least 97%
- India Secondary School (CBSE, ISCE or State Board Exam); an overall score of at least 95%
- Vietnam High School an overall Year 12 GPA 9.0 or above
- not have previously undertaken any tertiary studies (excluding extension studies completed as part of a year 12 program)
- Australia Awards Scholarships for Development;
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University.
- Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships in Germany.
How to Apply for the University of Melbourne Scholarships
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for this Oceania scholarship must follow one of the options below to submit their application:
Graduate Research Scholarship
- If you are a new student and have applied for a graduate research course by the application closing date for that course, you will be automatically considered for the Graduate Research Scholarships.
- If you have accepted a graduate research course offer and deferred commencement in order to be reconsidered for a scholarship, you must submit an online application form by 31 October to be considered for a scholarship in the following year.
- If you are currently enrolled in a graduate research course for which you seek a scholarship, you must submit an online application form by 31 October to be considered for a scholarship in the following year.
Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarship
Students will be automatically considered for the Melbourne International Undergraduate Scholarship. Therefore, those who wish to be considered need to apply for admission to their chosen undergraduate program.
The application deadline is . Please visit the official page for more details on the University of Melbourne Scholarships. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
I would like to join phD program in Agribusiness Business & value chain management
I am shumye wubie. I have graduated in chemical engineering . I would like to get MS.c program in advanced chemical engineering from your institute. please help
I would like to enroll for a PhD in Economics kindly advise
My name is Kizzy Moonga and I am from the Republic of Zambia. I was enrolled at the University of Bolton UK to pursue a PhD by research about 6 years back. However, due to lack of a scholarship, I was forced to pull out of the study programme. Now that the university of Melbourne is offering scholarships I would like to enrol for the PhD program in the school of Business and Economics. I need your guidance on the way to go about.
I am Henok Abera, a BSc. degree holder in public health officer and I want to join any university in Australia which provide fully funded MSc/MPH programs so as improve my knowledge and hence, help the community in very problem of public health in Ethiopia. please help.
Is this website (scholarship) real? With all of the benefits in cash attached, how is it that there is still vacancy? I wished it was real.