Application are now opened for the World Bank Group Young Professionals Program. The WBG YPP is a starting point for an exciting career at the World Bank Group. It is a unique opportunity for younger talent who have both a passion for international development and the leadership potential to grow in fascinating top technical and managerial roles in the World Bank Group (WBG).
Effective June 1, 2020, the World Bank and IFC (International Finance Corporation) will merge their respective Young Professionals Programs, and include MIGA (Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency), to create one World Bank Group Young Professionals Program (The WBG YPP). The new program will be accepting applications on behalf of the three institutions: the World Bank, IFC and MIGA.
The program is designed for highly qualified and motivated individuals skilled in areas relevant to WBG technical/operations such as economics, finance, education, public health, social sciences, engineering, urban planning, agriculture, natural resources and others.
Successful applicants are offered a five-year renewable term contract, with a 24 months in a structured development program at the beginning in Washington, DC, United States of America. They will also enjoy a variety of benefits and opportunities.
- Host institution: The World Bank Group (WBG).
- Areas of Work: Please check list below.
- Number of positions: Not specified.
- Contract Type: five-year employment contract.
- Target group: Open to all nationalities with preference to nationals of WBG member countries and countries of operations.
World Bank Group Young Professionals Program Benefits
The WBG YPP offers a competitive salary and benefits package as part of a 5-year term contract. Benefits include health, life and accident insurance, a pension plan and possible relocation and mobility benefits depending on WBG guidelines. Furthermore, successful candidates will benefit from:
- Professional Experience
- Leadership Development
- Training on WBG Policies, Products and Operations
- Global Rotations across WBG
- Coaching & Mentoring
- Networking Events
- Management-supported rotations & job placements
World Bank Group Young Professionals Program Eligibility
To apply for the WBG Young Professionals Program, candidates must:
- Be born on or after October 1, 1988
- Have a Master’s or doctoral degree
- For WB placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree by June 30, 2020 or a PhD before September 2021
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree before September 2021
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level
- For WB placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
- Be fluent in English
- The Banks Group recruitment policy is to hire staff of the highest caliber, on as wide a geographical basis as possible, with preference to nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
To be competitive, applicants should additionally:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement, communication and team leadership skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant sector trends
The following attributes are a plus:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Full proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
- CERN Junior Fellowship Programme for Graduate Students;
- UNICEF Internship Programme For All Nationalities;
- Internship Program At FAO (The Food And Agriculture Organization);
- United Nations Volunteers Programme For All Nationalities;
- OIST Internship in Japan for All (Fully funded);
- World Youth Alliance Regional and Headquarter Internship Program;
- OECD Internship Programme for Students of All Nationalities.
World Bank Group Young Professionals Program Business Areas
To be eligible for the WBG YPP, candidates must demonstrate experience in at least one of the topics listed below
World Bank Young Professionals Program
GLOBAL PRACTICES (Agriculture & Food, Digital Development, Education, Energy & Extractives, Environment, Natural Resources & Blue Economy, Environmental & Social Framework Support Unit, Finance, Competitiveness & Innovation, Governance, Health, Nutrition & Population, Jobs and Development, Macroeconomics, Trade & Investment, Poverty & Equity, Resilience & Land, Social Protection & Jobs, Social Development, Transport, Urban Disaster Risk Management, Water); GLOBAL THEMES (Climate Change, Fragility, Conflict & Violence, Gender, Infrastructure and Public Private Partnerships); OTHER UNITS (Development Economics, Independent Evaluation Group, Legal).
International Finance Corporation (IFC) Young Professionals Program
PRODUCTS (Advice, Asset Management, Blended Finance, Equity, Loans, Structured Finance); SECTORS (Agribusiness & Forestry, Energy, Financial Institutions, Health & Education, Manufacturing, Mining, Telecom, Media & Technology, Tourism, Retail & Property, Transport, Urban Development & Municipal Infrastructure, Water & Wastewater); AREAS OF EXPERTISE (Climate Finance, Disruptive Technologies, Private Equity Funds, Public Private Partnerships, Treasury, Upstream Market Creation, Venture Capital).
Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) Young Professionals Program
PRODUCTS (Credit Enhancement, Political Risk Insurance); AREAS OF EXPERTISE (Accounting/Finance, Economics, Environmental & Social Management, Export Credit, Legal, Project Finance); THEMES (Climate Change, Corporate Finance Services, Public-Private Partnerships, Risk Management, Sustainable Energy).
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the World Bank Group Young Professionals Program must click on the apply button below to create an account and submit their applications.
- Academic Transcripts
- 2 Short Essays
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates only)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations (Recommendations will be requested via email during the eligibility screening stage).
All qualified individuals from diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or disability are welcome to apply. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, women and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Applications for the inaugural WBG YPP cohort are open from June 1 – for all profiles (WB, IFC, and MIGA YPP) and will reopen from August 17 – for IFC and MIGA profiles only. For more details on the World Bank Group Young Professionals Program, please visit the official page.