The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) was established in 2003 in order to support the development of advanced research at the university through the contribution of highly capable doctoral students. Through the 3-year curriculum, Kochi University of Technology (KUT) provides a comprehensive education in a multidisciplinary environment.
Each student pursues a doctoral course in English while at the same time assisting his/her host professor in his/her research projects and receiving monthly payment in return for his/her contribution to the projects. This is a great opportunity for those who would like to pursue their postgraduate studies in Asia.
This scholarship program to study in Japan has been designed to help diligent and talented students with limited financial resources, especially foreign students from emerging countries, who are ready to devote themselves to the expected research and related studies for the coming three years, to finally accomplish their academic goal.
- Host Institutions: Kochi University of Technology in Japan.
- Area: Available projects on the SSP Research Project List.
- Number of awards: up to numerous available positions.
- Duration: 3 years.
- Target group: Open to international students.
Special Scholarship Program Benefits
The Special Scholarship Program will offer selected candidates the following Benefits:
- Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee
- To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid as salary for research project work.
- 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs (given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan).
- English technical writing and research writing class will be given to first and second-year doctoral students by a native English professor.
- Japanese language class will be provided for daily conversation and grammar.
- Tutors assist new international students with academic and daily life matters.
- Many types of Japanese cultural activities will be offered seasonally.
- International students can receive assistance in finding single accommodation.
If you’re not eligible for this scholarship program, please check out the following lists that provide thousands of other scholarships: the Top Scholarships and Opportunities that are Currently open, and the the Fully Funded Scholarships for International Students list.
Special Scholarship Program Eligibility
Applicants who would like to apply for this scholarship Program to study in Japan must
- have permission from the leader of the applicant’s preferred SSP project to apply for that project
- hold a degree from an accredited institution comparable to the Master’s degree offered at KUT after 18 years of education, or to be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date
- be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
- have an excellent academic record and strong bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities
- have the intention, adequate knowledge, and research skill to work on the research project
- have high English proficiency
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme;
- Mohamed Bin Zayed University Scholarship in Artificial Intelligence;
- Singapore University of Technology and Design Scholarships.
How to Apply for the Special Scholarship Program
Interested applicants who would like to apply for this university scholarship program need to follow steps below:
- Choose one research project from the SSP Research Project List
- Send a completed Pre-Application Request to the leader of your preferred project by e-mail and obtain the leader’s permission to apply for that SSP project. The project leader’s email address is provided in the project’s description.
- When you obtain the permission of the project leader, complete all required documents and submit them to KUT by post. The documents must reach KUT by the deadline.
KUT Online Pre-Application Request Form is NOT available at the following date and time due to system maintenance. Please avoid sending your Online Pre-Application Request during this time.
- 2023 → October 4th 18:00-20:00
- November 1st 18:00-20:00
- December 6th 18:00-20:00
- December 27th 18:00-20:00
- 2024 → February 7th 18:00-20:00
- March 6th 18:00-20:00.
The October 2024 enrollment (The Second Deadline) application deadline is . For more detail on the Special Scholarship Program at the Kochi University of Technology, please visit the university’s website. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.