The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) was established in 2003 in order to support the development of advanced research at the university through the contribution of highly capable doctoral students. Through the 3-year curriculum, Kochi University of Technology (KUT) provides comprehensive education in the multidisciplinary environment.
Each student pursues a doctoral course in English while at the same time assisting his/her host professor in his/her research projects and receiving monthly payment in return for his/her contribution to the projects. It is designed to help diligent and talented students with limited financial resources, especially foreign students from emerging countries, who are ready to devote themselves to the expected research and related studies for the coming three years to finally accomplish their academic goal.
- Host Institutions: Kochi University of Tecnology in Japan.
- Area: Available projects on the SSP Research Project List.
- Number of awards: up to numerous available positions.
- Duration: 3 years.
- Target group: Open to international students.
Special Scholarship Program Benefits
The Special Scholarship Program will offer selected candidates the following Benefits:
- Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee
- To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid as salary for research project work.
- 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs (given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan).
- English technical writing and research writing class will be given to first and second year doctoral students by a native English professor.
- Japanese language class will be provided for daily conversation and grammar.
- Tutors assist new international students with academic and daily life matters.
- Many types of Japanese cultural activities will be offered seasonally.
- International students can receive assistance in finding single accommodation.
Special Scholarship Program Eligibility
Applicants for the Special Scholarship Program (SSP) must
- have permission from the leader of the applicant’s preferred SSP project to apply for that project
- hold a degree from an accredited institution comparable to the Master’s degree offered at KUT after 18 years of education, or to be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date
- be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
- have an excellent academic record and strong bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities
- have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work in the research project
- have high English proficiency
- Austrian Government Scholarships for International Students;
- KAUST Scholarship 2020 for Master and PhD Students;
- Friedrich Ebert Foundation Scholarship for International Students;
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships.
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research);
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship.
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the Special Scholarship Program need to follow steps below:
- Choose one research project from the SSP Research Project List
- Send a completed Pre-Application Request to the leader of your preferred project by e-mail and obtain the leader’s permission to apply for that SSP project. The project leader’s email address is provided in the project’s description.
- When you obtain the permission of the project leader, complete all required documents and submit them to KUT by post. The documents must reach KUT by the deadline.
The April 2021 Enrollment Application Deadline is and for October 2021 Enrollment. For more detail on the Special Scholarship Program at Kochi University of Technology, please visit the official page. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.