Applications for the Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship (QECS) is now open. The programme is aimed at students who are committed to creating change in their communities. This is a life-changing opportunity to experience a new country and culture, to broaden horizons, and to build a global network that will last a lifetime. It’s open for two-years Master’s degree in low or middle-income country of the Commonwealth.
Through cultural exchange and academic collaboration, Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholars help bring about positive change and find solutions to the shared challenges we face – both in their home countries and those that host them. As an active part of the Commonwealth network, scholars will help shape its future.
- Host Institutions: Sri Lanka (IBMBB, University of Colombo, University of Sri Jayewardenepura); South Pacific (The University of the South Pacific, Fiji National University); South Africa (University of Johannesburg, Rhodes University, University of Stellenbosch, University of Venda, University of Pretoria, Tshwane University of Technology, North-West University); Papua New Guinea (Papua New Guinea University of Technology); Namibia (University of Namibia).
- Field of Study: The subject areas available differ according to the Host University and/or Country. Please refer to the QECS homepage for further details.
- Number of Awards: varies.
- Duration: 2 years.
- Target group: Open to citizens of (or those who hold refugee status in) the following countries: Africa (Botswana, Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia), Asia (Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Singapore, Sri Lanka), Caribbean and Americas (Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and The Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago), Europe (Cyprus, Malta, United Kingdom), Pacific (Australia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu).
Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship Benefits
The Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship will provide selected candidates with the following benefits:
- Fully-funded tuition fees
- Living expenses allowance (stipend) for duration of award
- Return economy flights to their host country
- An arrival allowance
- Research support grant – on request only; subject to approval
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship for Undergraduate;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research);
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships;
- Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship;
- Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program;
- SUSTech Integrated Master-PhD and PhD Scholarships.
Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship Eligibility
Application for the Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship Program is open for candidates, who:
- are citizens of (or hold refugee status in) a Commonwealth country (check list above).
- have completed an undergraduate degree at a 2:1 equivalent level.
- meet their chosen university’s specific eligibility requirements for admissions.
Note: Applicants must apply for a QECS award in a country other than their home country/country of citizenship at the exception to Canada, the UK and Australia. Therefore, these awards will not be hosted in Canada, the UK or Australia.
Interested applicants need to complete a QECS at the chosen university application by using the corresponding link below. Furthermore, applicants need to submit a separate application to the university for admission to your chosen course.
- High school certificate
- Undergraduate transcript (and graduation certificate)
- Two references – preferably academic
- Scan of passport or national ID card
- Proof of English language ability if English is not your first language
QECS Application links
- IBMBB, University of Colombo
- University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- The University of the South Pacific
- Fiji National University
- University of Johannesburg
- Rhodes University
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of Venda
- North-West University
- Tshwane University of Technology
- University of Pretoria
- Papua New Guinea University of Technology
- University of Namibia
The application deadline is . For more details on the Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.