The Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships aims to build bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary master’s program in China Studies. This initiative brings together young people who have demonstrated a talent for leadership and innovation. At Yenching, they are immersed in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world—past, present, and future. The Academy’s goal is to shape new generations of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China.
The Yenching Academy provides full fellowships to its scholars, and offers them a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the humanities and social sciences. Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars create their own study paths by choosing courses from six research areas. They participate in a variety of extracurricular activities and field studies, organized by the Yenching Academy, and designed by scholars themselves. Studying at the Academy is an exceptional opportunity to take part in intercultural exchanges and interdisciplinary learning, developing both personally and professionally.
- Field of Study: A wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the humanities and social sciences.
- Number of awards: Approximately 125.
- Duration: Duration of the master’s program.
- Target group: Open to all.
The Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships is a fully funded program that provides successful applicants with the followings:
- Tuition fees
- Monthly stipend
- One round-trip travel fare
- Field study costs.
Applicants for the Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, awarded no later than August 31, 2020;
- An outstanding academic record;
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency.
The 2020 cohort recruitment for the Mainland Chinese candidates who were qualified to exempt from the National Postgraduate Entrance Examination is currently ongoing. For International, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Candidates, the program will start accepting application for the 2020 cohort of Yenching Scholars on August 15, 2019. Candidates may apply through Yenching Academy’s online application portal. Each applicant will create an account on the portal and submit the following materials in English:
- Completed online application form;
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- English requirements and minimum scores:
- IELTS (Academic): Overall 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall 100
- Cambridge English Scale (Advanced): Overall 185
- CEFR: C1 level
- CET 6: Overall 600
- TEM 4: Pass level of “良好” or above
Notes: For IELTS and TOEFL tests, the program only accept test score sent directly to them by the organization that manage the test. Therefore, candidate need to make sure to choose “Yenching Academy of Peking University” as the designated recipient of their tests scores. For TOEFL, use the institution code: C488. All students and alumni of Partner Universities must apply through both the university’s internal application process and the Yenching Academy admissions portal. For more info on the Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships, please visit the official page.