The Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships aims to build bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary Master’s program in China Studies. This initiative brings together young people who have demonstrated a talent for leadership and innovation.
At Yenching, they are immersed in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world’s past, present, and future. The Academy’s goal is to shape new generations of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China.
This scholarship is a fully sponsored program that offers scholars, a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the humanities and social sciences. Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars create their own study paths by choosing courses from six research areas.
Selected candidates participate in a variety of extracurricular activities and field studies, organized by the Yenching Academy, and designed by scholars themselves. Studying at the Academy is an exceptional opportunity to take part in intercultural exchanges and interdisciplinary learning, developing both personally and professionally. The Yenching Academy annually enrolls approximately 120 students with 80% of the student body being international students.
- Host Institution: Peking University in China.
- Field of Study: A wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the humanities and social sciences.
- Number of awards: Approximately 120.
- Duration: Duration of the master’s program.
- Target group: Open to all nationalities.
Also Check : Science by Women Fellowship Programme in Spain
Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships Benefits
The Peking University Scholarships is a fully funded program that provides successful applicants with the followings:
- Tuition fees;
- Monthly stipend;
- One round-trip travel fare;
- Field study costs.
Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships Eligibility
Applicants for this Asia scholarships program must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any field, or be currently enrolled in a Bachelor degree program and be on track to graduate no later than August 31, 2024;
- An outstanding academic record;
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary study of China;
- A record of extracurricular achievement, community engagement, and social responsibility;
- Leadership potential;
- English proficiency.
Note : Peking University does not allow students to be enrolled in other degree programs whilst studying at the university.
- NTHU International Student Scholarship to study in Taiwan;
- The Gates Scholarship Program to Study in the USA;
- Government of the Czech Republic Scholarship.
How to Apply to the Yenching Academy
The 2024 cohort for the Chinese Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Candidates: All students and alumni of Partner Universities must apply through their home university’s internal pre-selection process before submitting their application to the Yenching Academy.
Candidates from the Chinese regions of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan must apply through the Yenching Academy application portal, as well as complete a supplementary application through the Peking University Graduate Admissions website. More information will be available here.
For International Candidates: All students and alumni of Partner Universities must apply through their home university’s internal pre-selection process before submitting their application to the Yenching Academy. For more information, please refer to the Peking University International Students Division website.
Each applicant will create an account on the Yenching Academy admissions portal and submit the following materials in English:
- Completed online application form;
- Personal statement (750 words or less);
- Statement of Research Interest (maximum 1500 words, excluding citations);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official transcript(s);
- Diploma(s) or Certificate(s) of Enrollment;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- English requirements and minimum scores:
- IELTS (Academic): Overall 7.0
- TOEFL (iBT): Overall 100
- Cambridge English Scale (Advanced): Overall 185
- CET 6: Overall 600
- TEM 4: Pass level of “良好” or above
Note : Native English speakers and alumni of an English taught degree program (undergraduate or above) are not required to provide English proficiency test scores. TOEFL and IELTS English proficiency tests must be taken after September 1, 2022. Currently, TOEFL MyBest Scores, TOEFL iBT Home Edition, IELTS Indicator test, or IELTS Online are not accepted.
Submission of English scores: For IELTS, TOEFL, and Cambridge tests, only scores sent directly from these organizations are valid. Make sure you choose “Yenching Academy of Peking University” as the designated recipient of your scores when you book the exam time. For TOEFL, use the institution code : C488.
The deadline to submit applications is (12:00 noon Beijing time). For more info on the Yenching Academy of Peking University Scholarships, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.