Applications are now opened for the Japanese Government Scholarship at Tokyo Tech for Foreign Students. The Japanese Government Scholarship at Tokyo Tech (Tokyo Institute of Technology) is awarded to outstanding international students who are recommended by the Japanese Government Scholarship at Tokyo Tech. The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) provides the MEXT scholarship with the aim of enhancing the international competitiveness and promoting the active exchange of international students in Japanese universities.
Tokyo Tech launched its International Graduate Program in October 2007 as an opportunity for qualified international students, who may have little or no knowledge of the Japanese language, to enroll in Tokyo Tech’s Master’s or Doctoral Programs and pursue an advanced degree in Japan. With a diverse group of academic departments participating in this program, students should be able to find a department in which to further their research, acquire broader knowledge and understanding, and conduct advanced long-term research in a field that best matches their interests and background.
There is no Japanese language requirement for this program as lectures and seminars are held in English. However, students are given opportunities to attend Japanese language classes on a regular basis in order to better adapt to daily life in Japan. Furthermore, Overseas applicants who enroll at Tokyo Tech without other scholarships have the chance to apply for the “Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately Financed International Students” from the Japan Student Services Organization (“JASSO”).
- Host Institution: The Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech) in Japan.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Master’s Program (2 years) and Doctoral Program (3 years).
- Target group: Open to nationals of countries that have diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
- Eligible Programs:
- International Graduate Program in Science for Innovative Leaders (PSIL)
- Super Smart Society Engineering Program (SSSEP)
- Program for Highly-skilled Professionals for a Smart Society Supported by Advanced Materials and Chemical Technology (SSMCT)
- International Graduate Program on Applied Artificial Intelligence and Cyber-Security
- Graduate Program to Foster Global Ecosystems
- Postgraduate Program for Environmental Designers Contributing to Resilient Cities
- Global Engineering Program for Inclusive Society and Sustainable Enviroment (ISSEP)
Japanese Government Scholarship at Tokyo Tech Benefits
The Japanese Government Scholarship at Tokyo Tech provides successful applicants with:
- Exempt form Enrollment and Tuition fees
- 144,000 yen/month (for a student of a Master’s Program).
- 145,000 yen/month (for a student of a Doctoral Program).
- An additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen may be added to those students undertaking study or research in some designated regions of the country.
- Economy class air travel between the home country and APU at the beginning and end of the program.
Japanese Government Scholarship at Tokyo Tech Eligibility
International students with outstanding academic records who wish to enter Japan in April 2021 as a new student to study in the Master’s or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science. Applicants must:
- have university grade points* of 2.30 (out of 3.00) or above in their two most recent years of study and be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the course of the scholarship program.
- have the nationality of a country with diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Applicants who have Japanese nationality at the time of application are ineligible. However, Japanese nationals that reside outside of Japan at the time of application, having dual citizenship with another country, and plan on relinquishing their Japanese nationality before arrival, may apply.
- be born on or after April 2, 1986.
- have the necessary qualifications to be admitted to the Graduate School of Science, at the Tokyo Institute of Technology as a Master’s or a Doctoral Program student.
- meet one of the language requirements in either English or in Japanese.
- be physically and mentally healthy enough to pursue their studies.
- UTS Global Ambassador Scholarship Program;
- Université de Montréal International Student Scholarship;
- Special Scholarship Program at Kochi University of Technology;
- KAUST Scholarship 2020 for Master and PhD Students;
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
Applicants must send in the required documents for MEXT Scholarship as well as complete their admission application for entering the Master’s/Doctoral Program, following the “Instruction for Graduate School Application for International Students”.
- Mailing address & Contact information:
Admissions Division Student Service Department, TOKYO INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
West Bldg. 8E 212, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550 JAPAN, Tel: +81-3-5734-3990
- Applicants must pay the Application Fee (JPY 30,000) by credit card before the deadline
- Documents must be written in either Japanese or English. They must be created in A4 format. A document written in any other language must be accompanied by a Japanese translation.
- An application will not be considered unless all application forms and necessary documents are completed correctly and all accompanying documents are complete. Please read the International Graduate Program (A) Overseas Application page for more details.
The deadline is . For more detail on the Japanese Government Scholarship at Tokyo Tech, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.