Application for the MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University for the 2024-2025 academic year is now open. The Scholarship is awarded to international students who are recommended by Yokohama National University. The scholarship is available for master’s degree and PhD degree program at the Yokohama National University.
The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) provides the MEXT scholarship (Japanese Government Scholarship – Monbukagakusho) with the aim of enhancing the international competitiveness and promoting the active exchange of international students in Japanese universities.
Founded in 1874, the Yokohama National University (横浜国立大学, Yokohama Kokuritsu Daigaku) is one of Japan’s National Seven Universities and is located in Yokohama, Japan. The University has five Colleges, five graduate schools, about 7,500 Undergraduate Students, 2,500 Graduate Students, 1,000 International Students, 600 Full-time Faculty members, and 140 Partner Institutions.
- Host Institution: The Yokohama National University (YNU) in Japan.
- Types of Scholarships: The General and the Special Program.
- Field of study: Available programs at the university.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Master’s Program (2 years) and Doctoral Program (3 years).
- Target group: Open to nationals of countries that have diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
Also Check : Obama Foundation Scholars Program, 2024-2025
MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University Benefits
The Japanese Government Scholarship at Yokohama National University provides successful applicants with the following benefits:
- Students enrolled in Master’s or professional degree courses: 147,000 yen per month
- Students enrolled in doctoral courses: 148,000 yen per month
- Education fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT
- Transportation: MEXT will provide round trip economy-class flight ticket to and from Japan.
MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University Eligibility
An applicant willing to apply for this government scholarship program at Yokohama National University must meet the following requirements:
- have outstanding academic records in undergraduate as well as Master degree (for PhD candidates), and shows robust research potential
- normally possesses a four-year bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree (for PhD candidates)
- have proof of English language proficiency (An official score of TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent)
- Applicant should be in good mental and physical health
- have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- Be 34 years of age or younger as of April 1, 2024
- Be able to arrive in Japan before 2024 Fall semester will begin.
- Mohamed Bin Zayed University Scholarship in Artificial Intelligence;
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships;
- Singapore Government Scholarship.
How to Apply for the MEXT Scholarship at YNU
There are two type of MEXT Scholarship University Recommendation at the Yokohama National University: The General and the Special Program. Through the general program, students are recommended to MEXT by the Japanese university which will accept them as research students.
The Special Program will be awarded for master’s and doctoral courses in “Civil and Development” program and “Civil and ICT/IoT” program. Candidates who wish to receive the MEXT scholarship can only apply for October 2024 enrollment.
A. Apply for the Special Program
Applicants wishing to considered under this program must click on the apply button below and follow instructions to submit their applications.
The following documents also must be uploaded until deadline, but do not need to be mailed.
- Research Plan (within 5 pages, including the abstract). The research plan should be within 5 pages in an A4 size PDF/Word file. Write an abstract in the first 1/3 portion of the first page. Describe in detail and with specifics – particularly concerning the ultimate goal(s) of your research at YNU. Your academic background and research methodology should be included.
- Official transcript(s). For the Doctoral Course, official transcripts showing the applicants academic performance from both at undergraduate and master’s course. For the Master Course, an official transcript showing the applicants academic performance from undergraduate course.
- Certification(s) of Graduation or Copies of Diploma : for the Doctoral Course, certifications of Graduation or copies of diploma which should be including the title of Bachelor and Master. For the Master’s course, certification of Graduation or copy of diploma should be including the title of Bachelor.
- Proof of an applicant’s English proficiency (official score of TOEFL and IELTS or equivalent). If the applicants have completed a university program conducted mainly in English, upload a certificate of English proficiency sufficient to prove the fact that the medium of instruction has been English and that the applicants have successfully completed the program.
- Academic Performance Entry Sheet : Applicants are required to download the sheet below, read the notes on it carefully and fill in the relevant information from Official transcript(s) for all academic years of the last university attended. Applicants must check whether their grade point average is 2.30 (out of 3.00) or above by filling out the sheet.
Academic Performance Entry Sheet
Example: Academic Performance Entry Sheet
- Names and contact information of recommenders. Names of two different people must be provided to support the application. Thet will later be asked to provide a recommendation letter for the applicant electronically.
B. Apply for the General Program
If you wish to apply through this program, please first find a potential academic advisor (a professor). If he/she agrees to be your supervisor, he/she will submit necessary documents on your behalf to the International Admissions Office. Application documents directly submitted by the applicant will not be accepted.
The deadline to submit applications for this scholarship to study in Japan is . For more detail on the MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.