Application for the MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University for the 2021-2022 academic year is now opened. The Scholarship is awarded to international students who are recommended by the Yokohama National University. The scholarship is available for master’s degree and PhD degree program at the Yokohama National University.
The Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) provides the MEXT scholarship (Japanese Government Scholarship – Monbukagakusho) with the aim of enhancing the international competitiveness and promoting the active exchange of international students in Japanese universities.
Founded in 1874, the Yokohama National University (横浜国立大学, Yokohama Kokuritsu Daigaku) is one of Japan’s National Seven Universities and is located in Yokohama, Japan. The University has five Colleges, five graduate schools, about 7,500 Undergraduate Students, 2,500 Graduate Students, 1,000 International Students, 600 Full-time Faculty members and 140 Partner Institutions.
- Host Institution: The Yokohama National University (YNU) in Japan.
- Types of Scholarships: The General and the Special Program.
- Field of study: Available programs at the university.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Master’s Program (2 years) and Doctoral Program (3 years).
- Target group: Open to nationals of countries that have diplomatic relations with the Japanese government.
MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University Benefits
The Japanese Government Scholarship at Yokohama National University provides successful applicants with the following benefits:
- Students enrolled in Master’s or professional degree courses: 144,000 yen per month
- Students enrolled in doctoral courses: 145,000 yen per month
- Education fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT
- Transportation: MEXT will provide round trip economy-class flight ticket to and from Japan.
MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University Eligibility
An applicant willing to apply for the Monbukagakusho Scholarship at Yokohama National University must meet the following requirements:
- have outstanding academic records in undergraduate as well as Master degree (for PhD candidates), and shows robust research potential
- normally possesses a four-year bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree
- have proof of English language proficiency (An official score of TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent)
- Applicant should be in good mental and physical health
- have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan
- Be 34 years of age or younger as of April 1, 2021
- Be able to arrive in Japan before 2021 Fall semester will begin.
- University of Twente Kipaji Scholarship for Foreign Students;
- ENS International Selection Scholarship for All;
- Skoltech Scholarship in Russia For Local and International Students;
- Holland Scholarship for Non-EEA International Students;
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship To Study in Canada;
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Scholarships.
There are two type of MEXT Scholarship University Recommendation at the Yokohama National University: the General and the Special Program.
A. Apply for the Special Program
Applicants wishing to considered under this program must send application form and required documents to the correspondence address Below. Required documents must be sent by both E-mail and Postal-mail.
PDF copies of documents (1, 2 & 3) must reach the correspondence E-mail address ([email protected]) by the deadline (December 20th, 2020). Furthermore, All original documents (1, 2, 3 & 4) also shall arrive at the correspondence address by Postal-mail (including FedEx, DHL etc.) no later than January 15, 2021.
- Completed Application Form (PDF, DOC).
- For PhD candidates, an official transcript showing the applicant’s academic performance from both an undergraduate and a master’s course. For Master candidates, an official transcript showing the applicant’s academic performance from an undergraduate course.
- Proof of English proficiency (an official score of TOEFL or IELTS or equivalent).
- Two confidential Recommendation Letters in the specific form (PDF, DOC). Each letter should be in a sealed envelope with the signature of the recommender over the flap of the envelope and should be sent to the correspondence address directly.
Prof. Koichi Maekawa
Foreign Student Officer
Department of Civil Engineering
Yokohama National University
79-5 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku
Yokohama 240-8501, Japan.
Note: All documents must reach the correspondence address by postal mail no later than January 15, 2021.
B. Apply for the General Program
If you wish to apply through this program, please first find a potential academic advisor (a professor). If he/she agrees to be your supervisor, he/she will submit necessary documents on your behalf to the International Admissions Office until around mid-January. Application documents directly submitted by the applicant will not be accepted.
The deadline to submit applications for this scholarship to study in Japan is . For more detail on the MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.