The Google PhD Fellowship for Africa, India, and East Asia is now open for application. The program aims to maintain strong relations with the academic community. The Ph.D. Fellowship Program was created to recognize outstanding graduate students doing exceptional and innovative research in areas relevant to computer science and related fields.
The Google PhD fellowship is available for Africans, Indians, and East Asians, pursuing a PhD degree and enrolled in African, Indian or East Asian institutions. The program is tenable for up to 3 years for Africans and up to 4 years for Indians.
- Host Institution: Institutions in Africa, India, and Southeast Asian countries/regions.
- Field of study: Computer Science or related fields.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: 1 year for East Asians, up to 3 years for Southeast Asians, up to 3 years for Africans and up to 4 years for Indians.
- Eligible countries: Open to Africans, Indians, East Asians, and Southeast Asians (Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam).
Google PhD Fellowship for Africa, India, and East Asia Benefits
The funds are given directly to the university to be distributed to cover the student’s expenses and stipend as appropriate. In addition, the student will be matched with a Google Research Mentor who will become a valuable resource to the student. There is no employee relationship between the student and Google as a result of receiving the fellowship.
- Up to 3 year Fellowship;
- US $30K to cover stipend and other research-related activities, travel expenses including overseas travel;
- Google Research Mentor.
- Up to 4-year Fellowship;
- US $50K to cover stipend and other research-related activities, travel expenses including overseas travel;
- Google Research Mentor.
- Up to 3-year Fellowship
- US $10K per year for up to 3 years (or up to graduation, whichever is earlier) to cover stipend and other research-related activities, travel expenses including overseas travel
- Google Research Mentor.
- 1 year Fellowship
- US $10K to cover stipend and other research-related activities, travel expenses including overseas travel
- Google Research Mentor
Fellowship recipients are also eligible for other Google scholarships.
Also Check : Radboud Encouragement Scholarship, 2024-2025
Below is the list of potential research areas.
- Algorithms and Theory
- Data Management
- Data Mining and Modeling
- Distributed Systems and Parallel Computing
- Economics and Electronic Commerce
- Education Innovation
- General Science
- Health & Bioscience
- Hardware and Architecture
- Human-Computer Interaction and Visualization
- Information Retrieval and the Web
- Machine Intelligence
- Machine Perception
- Machine Translation
- Mobile Systems
- Natural Language Processing
- Quantum Computing
- Security, Privacy and Abuse Prevention
- Software Engineering
- Software Systems
- Speech Processing.
Google PhD Fellowship for Africa, India, and East Asia Eligibility
To apply for the Google PhD Fellowship for Africa, India, and East Asia, candidates must meet all the following requirements:
- Full-time graduate students pursuing a PhD and enrolled in an African Indian or Southeast Asian.
- Undergraduate or Master’s students and professionals may apply.
- undergraduate and Master’s student applicants must be currently enrolled, full-time students at an African, Indian, or Southeast Asian university.
- Professionals must be employed/affiliated with an organization registered in Africa, India, or Southeast Asia.
- For these applicants, the Fellowship award shall be contingent on the awardee registering for a full-time PhD program of an African, Indian, or Southeast Asian university in computer science (or an adjacent field) within the calendar year of the Fellowship award, or the award shall be forfeited.
- Grant of the Fellowship does not mean admission to the PhD program of a university. The awardee must also complete the PhD admission process of the respective institute/university where they wish to register for a PhD.
- Grant of the Fellowship will be subject to the rules and guidelines applicable in the institute/university where the awardee registers for the PhD program.
- Students must remain enrolled full-time in the PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship or forfeit the award.
- Google employees and their spouses, children, and members of their household are not eligible.
- Students that are already supported by a comparable industry award are not eligible. Government or non-profit organization funding is exempt.
- World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowships Program.
- Japan and World Bank Scholarship for Developing Countries;
- Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships in Germany.
How to Apply for the Google PhD Fellowship
Eligible applicants who want to apply for the Google PhD Fellowship for Africa, India, and East Asia must click on the corresponding button below and follow the instructions to submit their application:
- Please click here to apply for the Google Africa PhD Fellowship program.
- Please click here to apply for the Google PhD Fellowship India program.
- Please click here to apply for the Google PhD Fellowship Southeast Asia program.
- Please click here to apply for the Google PhD Fellowship East Asia program.
All applicants should submit the following required documents to complete their application (in English only):
- Student applicant’s resume with links to website and publications (if available)
- Available transcripts (mark sheets) starting from first year/semester of Bachelor’s degree to date
- Research proposal (maximum 3 pages, excluding references)
- 2-3 letters of recommendation from those familiar with the applicant’s work (at least one from the thesis advisor for current PhD students)
- Africa only:
- Short (one-page) resume of the student’s PhD program advisor
- Applicant’s essay response (350-word limit) to: What impact would receiving this scholarship have on your education? Describe any circumstances affecting your need for a scholarship and what educational goals this scholarship will enable you to accomplish.
Note : All documents must be in English. Therefore, all documents in other languages must be translated into English.
The application deadline for Africans is , for East Asians and for India and Southeast Asia applicants. For more detail on the Google PhD Fellowship for Africa, India, and East Asia, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.