The Internship Program at FAO for Students and Recent graduates aims to attract talented young women and men who are strongly motivated to share their new perspectives, innovative ideas and latest research experience in FAO’s domains.
The FAO Internship rogramme provides selected students, enrolled in an under-graduate, graduate or post-graduate degree programme or recent graduates with the opportunity to supplement, their academic knowledge with practical work assignments in a field related to the work of FAO. This will enable them to gain a better understanding of FAO’s mandate and programmes. At the same time, the Programme provides FAO with the assistance of qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in connection to FAO Strategic Objectives and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to support development in member countries in the areas of agriculture, fisheries and forestry. FAO’s mandate is to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy.
- Organizational Unit: FAO Headquarters in Rome (Italy).
- Area: The intern will be assigned to different fields of work according to his/her profile and to the needs of the Organization.
- Number of Places: Not specified.
- Duration: From 3 months to 11 months.
- Primary Location: Italy-Rome.
- Target group: To apply for the Internship Program at FAO, candidates must be nationals of FAO Member Nations.
Internship Program at FAO Benefits
Selected candidates for the Internship Program at FAO for Students and Recent graduates will have the following benefits.
- Opportunity to supplement academic knowledge with practical work assignments in a field related to the work of FAO;
- FAO pays a monthly stipend to interns if they are not sponsored by sending universities or other entities.
Internship Program at FAO Eligibility
To be eligible for the Internship Program at FAO for Students and Recent graduates, applicant must:
- Enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate degree programme in a bona fide (i.e. listed in the IAU/UNESCO database) educational institution at the time of application or recent graduates;
- Candidates must specialize in a field relevant to the mission and work of FAO;
- Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish). Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset. Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE and LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications;
- Be nationals of FAO Member Nations;
- Candidates should be aged between 21 and 30;
- Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment and have good communication skills;
- Candidates with family members (defined as brother, sister, mother or father) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not eligible for the Internship Programme;
- Candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the proposed duty station prior to the start of the internship assignment;
- Results Focus ;
- Teamwork ;
- Communication ;
- Building Effective Relationships;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program;
- UNICEF Internship Programme For All Nationalities;
- United Nations Volunteers Programme For All Nationalities;
- World Youth Alliance Regional and Headquarter Internship Program;
- DSM Brighter Living Scholarship for One Young World Summit.
To apply, please visit the official recruitment page and click on “Apply Online”. Follow instructions to complete your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered;
- Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non- and under-represented member nations as well as candidates from the global south and Indigenous Peoples are encouraged to apply;
- Candidates are requested to attach to their application a letter of motivation, the evidence of attendance in a recognized university or copy of their academic qualifications and copies of their language proficiency certificates.