Candidates are now invited to apply for the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship. This scholarship program to study in Hungary aims to support the internationalization of Hungarian higher education and its constant development. This will strengthen the international relations of the academic and research community, to enhance the cultural diversity to promote the good reputation and competitiveness of Hungarian higher education throughout the world.
The program also aims to establish and encourage the personal and professional attachment of foreign graduates to Hungary and contribute to the promotion of Hungarian culture and language abroad. The Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, one-tier master’s degree (cover both bachelor and master level studies), doctoral degree, and non-degree programs (preparatory and specialisation courses).
This scholarship program to study in Europe is managed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and co-ordinated by Tempus Public Foundation. Last year (2020), more than 35 0000 applications were received and more than 5000 scholarships were awarded. In Hungary, you will receive a high quality education, living in a safe and friendly environment at the heart of Europe.
- Host Institution: Hungarian partner universities available on the application page (Check list below).
- Field of Study: Eligible programs listed on the application page.
- Types of Scholarships: bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD, one-tier master’s and non-degree programs scholarships.
- Number of Awards: Not specified (more than 5000 scholarships awarded last year).
- Duration: 1 to 6 years depending on the program.
- Eligible Countries: Please check list below.
Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Benefits
Selected candidates for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship will have the following benefits:
- Tuition-free education: exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 120) for non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level students. For doctoral level students an amount of HUF 140,000 (cca EUR 390) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 500) for the second phase (4 semesters). Stipends are paid for 12 months a year, until completion of studies
- Accommodation contribution: free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Medical insurance: health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to 100,000 (cca EUR 275) a year/person.
Hungarian partner universities
Below is the list of universities in Hungary at which you can study with the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship.
- Andrássy Universität Budapest
- Apor Vilmos Catholic College
- Balassi Institue
- Budapest Metropolitan University
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- Corvinus University of Budapest
- Eötvös József College
- Eötvös Loránd University
- Eszterházy Károly University
- Hungarian Dance Academy
- Hungarian University of Fine Arts
- International Business School
- John von Neumann University
- John Wesley Theological College
- Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church in Hungary
- Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music
- Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design
- Óbuda University
- Pázmány Péter Catholic University
- Semmelweis University
- Széchenyi István University
- Szent István University
- Tomori Pál College
- University of Debrecen
- University of Dunaújváros
- University of Miskolc
- University of Nyíregyháza
- University of Pannonia
- University of Pécs
- University of Physical Education
- University of Public Service
- University of Szeged
- University of Theatre and Film Arts Budapest
- University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest
- Wekerle Sándor Business School.
Eligible Sending Partners
The Stipendium Hungaricum Programme is implemented through direct cooperation with the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner (the partner’s Ministry of Education). Therefore, applications will be considered eligible only if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner.
For full time programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Federative Republic of Brazil, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kingdom of Thailand, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Malaysia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Oriental Republic of the Uruguay, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), State of Palestine, Panama, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Chile, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Costa Rica, Republic of Cuba,
Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Singapore, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Sudan, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, State of Kuwait, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
For partial (exchange) study programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Republic of Costa Rica, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Federative Republic of Brazil, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, People’s Republic of China (only Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Chile, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Korea,Republic of Moldova, Republic of North Macedonia, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Singapore, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Russian Federation, Syrian Arab Republic, United Mexican States, State of Israel, Republic of Yemen.
Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Eligibility
Application for this government scholarship program is open for candidates, who meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of an eligible country and apply for the corresponding program (Full or partial time program);
- Must not be a
- person granted a refugee status (“menekült”),
- person enjoying temporary protection (“menedékes”),
- person admitted for subsidiary protection (“oltalmazott”) and
- person granted humanitarian protection (“befogadott”),
- hold a hungarian citizenship (including those with dual citizenship),
- Applicants must be born before 31 August 2003 (applicants must be over 18 years old as of 31 August 2020 except applicants applying for dance study programs. For more info, please check the official page.
- Meet the minimum entry requirements of the chosen study program.
- Meet the minimum language criteria set by the chosen Host Institution.
- MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University;
- University of Twente Kipaji Scholarship for Foreign Students;
- ENS International Selection Scholarship for All;
- Skoltech Scholarship in Russia For Local and International Students;
- Holland Scholarship for Non-EEA International Students;
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Scholarships.
Why study in Hungary?
Not yet sure Hungary is a good destination for your? Please watch the video below to see if this is a good place for you to study.
How to Apply for the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship?
Interested applicants need to click on the apply button below to access the online application system of Tempus Public Foundation and register. After registration, applicants will be able to login and follow given instructions to fill the application form. Applicants must also upload required documents in the system. Each applicant can apply for up to TWO different study programs, in order of preference. These two study programs can be both at the same Host Institution and at different Host Institutions. It’s up to you.
- Online application form (will need a recent photo of the applicant taken not earlier than 2 years);
- Motivation Letter (minimum 1 page, typed in Times New Roman 12 point letters);
- Proof of language proficiency;
- School certificates;
- Transcript of Records;
- Medical Certificate (not earlier than 15 November 2020);
- Copy of Identification;
- Research Plan: minimum 2 pages, typed in Times New Roman 12 point font size letters, written in the language of the selected study program (Only for PhD Applicants);
- Portfolio: photographs of three works of art / sketches (indicating the date of creation – Only for Art Applicants);
- Audio Portfolio: audio track of three works (indicating the date of the creation – Only for Music Applicants).
- Acceptance of Statement for Application in the online system. Please click here to download documents’ checklist.
Note: Applications should be submitted. Only saved applications will not be considered. Please note that no applications will be accepted without the online submission and after the deadline. No hard copies are required
For studies in English or other foreign languages, students shall have a level of proficiency in the language of education as required by the Host Institution. The applicants need to directly apply for the study programs in the online application system. The study programs are listed as foreign language programs in the online application system by default. However, if you wish to study in Hungarian language, you will have Hungarian language preparatory course, before starting your major studies.
The deadline for submitting the complete application package is – 23:59 (CET). For more detail on the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for international students, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.