Candidates are now invited to apply for the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship. This scholarship program to study in Hungary aims to support the internationalization of Hungarian higher education and its constant development. This will strengthen the international relations of the academic and research community, enhance the cultural diversity to promote the good reputation and competitiveness of Hungarian higher education throughout the world.
The program also aims to establish and encourage the personal and professional attachment of foreign graduates to Hungary, and contribute to the promotion of Hungarian culture and language abroad. The Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for Bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, one-tier master’s degree (cover both bachelor and master level studies), doctoral degree, and non-degree programs (preparatory and specialization courses).
This scholarship program to study in Europe is managed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade and coordinated by Tempus Public Foundation. Last year (2021), nearly 50 0000 applications were received and more than 4700 scholarships were awarded. In Hungary, you will receive a high-quality education, living in a safe and friendly environment at the heart of Europe.
- Host Institution: Hungarian partner universities available on the application page (Check list below).
- Field of Study: Eligible programs listed on the application page.
- Types of Scholarships: bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD, one-tier master’s and non-degree programs scholarships.
- Number of Awards: Not specified (more than 4700 scholarships awarded last year).
- Duration: 1 to 6 years depending on the program.
- Eligible Countries: Please check list below.
Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Benefits
Selected candidates for this government scholarship program will have the following benefits:
- Tuition-free education: exemption from the payment of tuition fee.
- Monthly stipend of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 120) for non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level students. For doctoral level students an amount of HUF 140,000 (cca EUR 390) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 500) for the second phase (4 semesters). Stipends are paid for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation contribution: free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period. For students not living in dormitories, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to the rental costs since in bigger cities, this amount would not cover the full rental costs.
- Medical insurance: health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to 65,000 (cca EUR 180) a year/person.
Hungarian partner universities
Below is the list of universities in Hungary at which you can study with the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship.
- Andrássy Universität Budapest
- Apor Vilmos Catholic College
- Balassi Institue
- Budapest Metropolitan University
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics
- Corvinus University of Budapest
- Eötvös József College
- Eötvös Loránd University
- Eszterházy Károly University
- Hungarian Dance Academy
- Hungarian University of Fine Arts
- International Business School
- John von Neumann University
- John Wesley Theological College
- Károli Gáspár University of the Reformed Church in Hungary
- Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music
- Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design
- Óbuda University
- Pázmány Péter Catholic University
- Semmelweis University
- Széchenyi István University
- Szent István University
- Tomori Pál College
- University of Debrecen
- University of Dunaújváros
- University of Miskolc
- University of Nyíregyháza
- University of Pannonia
- University of Pécs
- University of Physical Education
- University of Public Service
- University of Szeged
- University of Theatre and Film Arts Budapest
- University of Veterinary Medicine Budapest
- Wekerle Sándor Business School.
Eligible Sending Partners
The Stipendium Hungaricum Programme is implemented through direct cooperation with the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner (the partner’s Ministry of Education). Therefore, applications will be considered eligible only if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the Sending Partner.
For full-time programs, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Federative Republic of Brazil, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kingdom of Thailand, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Mongolia, Montenegro, Oriental Republic of the Uruguay, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), State of Palestine, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Chile, Republic of Costa Rica, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Ecuador,
Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Liberia, Republic of Mali, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of North – Macedonia, Republic of Panama, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Seychelles, Republic of Sierra Leone, Republic of Singapore, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Sudan, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Saint Lucia, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, Sultanate of Oman, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Taiwan, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
For partial (exchange) study programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners:
Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Japan, Kingdom of Morocco, Montenegro, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Chile, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Costa Rica, Republic of Ghana, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Mali, Republic of Moldova, Republic of North-Macedonia, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Seychelles, Republic of Sierra Leone, Republic of Singapore, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Saint Lucia, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, Sultanate of Oman, Syrian Arab Republic, Taiwan, Turkmenistan, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Eligibility
Application for this government scholarship program is open for candidates, who meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of an eligible country and apply for the corresponding program (Full- or partial-time program);
- Must not be a
- person granted a refugee status (“menekült”),
- person enjoying temporary protection (“menedékes”),
- person admitted for subsidiary protection (“oltalmazott”) and
- person granted humanitarian protection (“befogadott”),
- hold a hungarian citizenship (including those with dual citizenship),
- Applicants with a citizenship different from the sending country/territory will not be accepted. For example, only Chinese citizens can apply through the Chinese Sending Partner.
- Meet the minimum entry requirements of the chosen study program.
- Meet the minimum language criteria set by the chosen Host Institution.
- Applicants applying for bachelor’s, master’s, one-tier master’s, non-degree programmes or a doctoral programme within the SH (scholarship holder) programme in the same application round are not accepted.
- Korean Government Scholarship for Undergraduate Students;
- MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University.
- ENS International Selection Scholarship for All;
- Holland Scholarship for Non-EEA International Students;
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Scholarships.
Why study in Hungary?
Not yet sure Hungary is a good destination for you? Please watch the video below to see if this is a good place for you to study.
How to Apply for the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship?
Interested applicants who wish to apply for this scholarship to study in Europe need to click on the apply button below to access the online application system of Tempus Public Foundation and register. After registration, applicants will be able to login and follow given instructions to fill the application form. Applicants must also upload required documents in the system. Each applicant can apply for up to TWO different study programs, in order of preference. These two study programs can be both at the same Host Institution and at different Host Institutions. It’s up to you.
All of the following documents are compulsory and need to be submitted to the online application system by the deadline, except the medical certificate which must be submitted by the nominated applicants only until 15 April.
- Online application form (will need a recent photo of the applicant taken not earlier than 2 years);
- Motivation Letter (minimum 1 page, typed in Times New Roman 12-point letters);
- Proof of language proficiency;
- School certificates;
- Transcript of Records;
- Medical Certificate. Mandatory only for nominated applicants by the Sending Partners and submittable until 15 April 2022.
- Copy of Identification document;
- Research Plan: minimum 2 pages, typed in Times New Roman 12-point font size letters, written in the language of the selected study program (Only for PhD Applicants);
- Letter of Recommendation: a signed Letter of Recommendation from the applicant’s former or current academic tutor or supervisor, who has a scientific degree and has an insight into the professional work of the applicant. The letter must be written in the language of the selected study programme or in Hungarian (Only for PhD Applicants);
- Statement of the Supervisor (if required by the proposed Doctoral School): a statement by the supervisor at the proposed Host Institution declaring that the supervisor undertakes to supervise the student’s work (Only for Ph.D. Applicants);
- Portfolio: photographs of three works of art / sketches (indicating the date of creation – Only for Art Applicants);
- Audio Portfolio: audio track of three works (indicating the date of the creation – Only for Music Applicants).
- Acceptance of Statement for Application in the online system. Please click here to download documents’ checklist.
All documents that cannot be obtained or produced in the language of the selected study program or in Hungarian have to be translated and the translations have to be submitted together with a copy of the original document.
Applications should be submitted in the online system. Only saved applications will not be considered. Please note that no applications will be accepted without the online submission and after the deadline. No hard copies of documents are required by Tempus Public Foundation at the time of application. However, sending partners might require hard copies. Please check their requirements.
For studies in English or other foreign languages, students shall have a level of proficiency in the language of education as required by the Host Institution. The applicants need to directly apply for the study programs in the online application system. The study programs are listed as foreign language programs in the online application system by default.
However, if you wish to study in the Hungarian language, you will have a Hungarian language preparatory course (in case you’re not proficient in Hungarian), before starting your major studies. In that case, applicants need to apply directly for the preparatory course (and NOT for the degree program they wish to start after the language preparatory year), in the online application system. All Hungarian language preparatory courses and entry requirements are available in the online application system.
Note : Applicants should be extra cautious when selecting their preferred study programmes in the online application system as most of them are available for full- and partial-time studies. Therefore, those programs appear twice (one for full-time and the other for part-time) in the system. Make sure to select the program marked with the study mode you want since it is impossible to change it later.
The online application system is now open and applicants have till – 23:59 (CET) to submit their complete application package. For more detail on the Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for international students, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.