McGill University and the Mastercard Foundation are pleased to offer full scholarships to economically challenged, academically gifted Master’s students from Sub-Saharan Africa through the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program. This scholarship program is designed to sponsor outstanding, community engaged students to attend university who otherwise would not have the opportunity, thereby, fostering the development of future Sub-Saharan African leaders and entrepreneurs.
- Eligible Programs (non-thesis only): Master of Architecture (M. Arch.), Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Education (M.Ed.), Master of Engineering (M. Eng.), Master of Information Studies (M.I.St.), Master of Science Applied (M .Sc.A.), Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Urban Planning (M.U.P.).
- Number of Awards: Not specified
- Duration: Duration of the candidate’s programme.
- Target group: Open to citizens of the following countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African, Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic, of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the, Congo, Rwanda, São Tomé and, Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Benefits
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program provides financial, social, and academic support to Scholars. Financial support includes, but is not limited to, tuition fees, accommodation, books, and other scholastic materials. In addition, Scholars are provided with a comprehensive support network that includes an array of mentoring and support services to ensure each student’s academic success, community service engagement and transition to socially relevant employment opportunities
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Eligibility
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill, you must:
- Be admissible to one of the eligible programs at McGill University (see Program List);
- Have never registered for /completed any graduate studies;
- Be nominated by a current McGill Professor or Staff Member from the department you wish to apply to (see Nomination Form);
- Be a citizen of and have lived a significant part of your life in a Sub-Saharan African Country (see List of Eligible Countries);
- Have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community;
- Have an intent to return to your country immediately upon the completion of your degree with the goal of transforming your community through social and economic development;
- Demonstrate that your financial status is in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
- Must be less than 35 years old at the time of application
Prospective candidates must identify their program of interest and consult the departmental requirements as well as the standard graduate admission requirements (on the university website), to verify that they are eligible to apply. If the minimum requirements are met, the applicant may request nomination from the department via email. This request should have the following information enclosed:
- University Transcript
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Short Personal Statement (max. 350 words).
The nomination made by the department acts as a verification step. If an applicant has been nominated, they will be prompted to create an account on the uApply portal and share the username with the nominating department. The applicant MUST wait until they have been nominated before creating an account in order for the application to be considered for the MCF scholarship.
Once nominated, the applicant will be issued a fee waiver and should complete the admission application in uApply. They should upload the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application Form, sponsor letter and bank statement to the uApply checklist. The applicant should request their Referee complete the MCFSP Recommendation form and return the completed form by email to [email protected].
Successful applicants will be notified in April 2020 if they have been selected for the 2020 Cohort of the Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program at McGill University. For more detail on the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, please visit the official page.