Application for the Canadian Government Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program are currently being received. The Fellowship provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program to study in North America is to attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally, develop their leadership potential, position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow.
- Host institutions: Fellowships are distributed equally among the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) in Canada.
- Field of study: Health Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering, Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Number of Awards: 70.
- Duration: 2 years (non-renewable).
- Eligible countries: Open to all nationalities.
Canadian Government Banting Fellowships Benefits
The Banting Fellowships are valued at $70,000 (taxable) per year. There are no additional funds provided for travel/research.
Canadian Government Banting Fellowships Eligibility
To apply for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent residents of Canada or foreign citizens who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree ;
- Applicants to the 2022-2023 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree (between September 15, 2019 and September 30, 2023 (inclusively), and before the start date of their award) ;
- Canadian governments (federal, provincial, municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions ;
- Applicants can submit only one application per competition year to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Without exception, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- are tenable only at the institution that supported the original application for the program;
- must be taken up no earlier than April 1st and no later than October 1st following the year of application;
- are for two years;
- cannot be held concurrently with another tri-agency training award; and
- can only be held once in a lifetime.
Furthermore, applicants should pay attention to the following points:
- The fellowship is not intended for students (including Health Professionals) to complete a degree. For a list of eligible health professions, please see CIHR’s webpage.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
- Foreigners (graduated in Canada or abroad) and Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Top 25 Government Scholarships Currently Open;
- 25+ Scholarships to Study in Canada or USA (Currently Open);
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University;
- NMG-NJUST Joint Scholarship for International Students.
How to Apply for the Banting Fellowships
Those who would like to apply for this government fellowship need to follow steps below to submit their application.
- Confirm eligibility
- Contact your desired host institution;
- Register for Canadian Common CV (CCV) and ResearchNet accounts.;
- Create CCV (Vanier-Banting academic template) and link to ResearchNet application;
- Start a ResearchNet application;
- Identify area of research;
- Identify participants;
- Identify referees;
- Enter degree information;
- Enter proposal information and supporting documents;
- Preview application materials;
- Consent and submit application;
- Ensure attached documents meet presentation standards.
Applicants should start seeking endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines). The deadline for complete application submission is . For more details on the Canadian Government Banting Fellowships, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.