Application for the Korean Government Scholarship for master and PhD degree students is now open. The Korean Government Scholarship (GKS) programs which have been integrated and branded as Global Korean Scholarship(GKS), aims to provide international students with opportunities to conduct advanced studies in undergraduate & graduate programs at higher educational institutions in the Republic of Korea.
Fully funded, this scholarship program to study in South Korea aims to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries. Grantees are required to take Korean language training courses for 1 year at a language institution located on-campus of the domestic universities. (Those who have attained a Korean language fluency score higher than level 5 in TOPIK are exempt from this requirement).
- Host institutions: Partner universities in South Korea.
- Areas of Research : Disciplines available at participating universities.
- Number of fellowships : 105 for undergraduate and 1,278 for graduate studies.
- Duration : Depends on the program of study.
- Eligible countries: Open to non-Korean citizens.
Korean Government Scholarship Benefits
The Korean Government Scholarship (GKS) will provide selected candidates with the following benefits:
- Airfare: Actual cost;
- Resettlement Allowance: KRW 200,000;
- Living Allowance:
- Undergraduate: KRW 900,000;
- Graduate (Master PhD): KRW 1,000,000.
- Medical Insurance: KRW 20,000 (per month);
- Language Courses: KRW 800,000 per quarter;
- Tuition Fees: Actual cost (No more than 5 million KRW per semester);
- Award for Excellent Korean Language Proficiency: KRW 100,000;
- research Support: KRW 210,000 – 240,000 (per semester);
- Printing Costs (Dissertation): KRW 500,000 – 800,000;
- Completion Grant: KRW 100,000 (Once).
Korean Government Scholarship Eligible Universities And Fields Of Study
Candidates can use this Asia scholarship to study in verious fields at partner higher educational institutions.
Type A: General (24 institutions)
Academy of Korean Studies, Ajou University, Chung-Ang University, Dongguk University, Duksung Women’s University, Ewha Womans University, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Hanyang University, Hongik University, KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology), KDI School of Public Policy and Management, Konkuk University, Kookmin University,
Korea Polytechnic University, Korea University, Kyung Hee University, POSTECH (Pohang University of Science and Technology), Seoul National University, SeoulTech (Seoul National University of Science and Technology), Sogang University, Sookmyung Women’s University, Sungkyunkwan University, UNIST (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology), Yonsei University
Type B: General + Regional Science / Engineering (35 institutions)
Busan University of Foreign Studies, Chonnam National University, Chungbuk National University, Chungnam National University, Daegu University, Daejeon University, Dong-A University, Dongseo University, Gangneung-Wonju National University, Gyeongsang National University, Handong Global University, Hannam University, Inje University, Jeju National University, Jeonbuk National University, Jeonju University, Kangwon National University, Keimyung University,
Kongju National University, Konyang University, KOREATECH (Korea University of Technology and Education), Kumoh National Institute of Technology, Kyungpook National University, Mokwon University, Namseoul University, National Korea Maritime & Ocean University, Pai Chai University, Pukyong National University, Pusan National University, Semyung University, Silla University, Soonchunhyang University, Sun Moon University, Sunchon National University, Yeungnam University
Applicants applying for the Science and Engineering majors of Regional University program MUST choose from the universities in Type B. Applicants applying for other University Track programs (General program and research program) can choose their university from either Type A or Type B.
Embassy Track applicants must choose THREE different desired universities and available majors (fields of study) among 59 universities listed above, and MUST include at least one university from Type B.
Available Fields of Study
Applicants must choose their majors (fields of study) that are listed in the “2021 GKS-G Available Universities & Fields of Study“.
Korean Government Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for the Global Korean Scholarship (GKS), applicants must meet criteria below:
- Both an applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin.
- Applicants should not hold Korean citizenship.
- Applicants should have adequate health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for a long time.
- Should be under 25 years of age at the date of entrance. (Undergraduate)
- Should be under 40 years of age at the date of entrance. (Graduate)
- Have finished or be scheduled to finish formal education of all elementary, middle, high school courses by the date of arrival. (Undergraduate)
- Possess a grade point average (G.P.A.) above 80% from the last educational institution attended.
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree by the date of arrival (Graduate)
- Applicants who have previously achieved in any undergraduate program, master’s program, or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program unless they’ve achieved an overall grade of 90% or above.
- Danish Government Scholarships For international Students;
- Turkish Government Scholarship for International Students;
- Austrian Government Scholarships for International Students;
- Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship;
- Government of Azerbaijan Scholarship for International Students.
- Deadline are decided by each Korean embassy and university and usually fall in
- September of the year prior to planned studies in Korea for undergraduate applicants and
- February ~ March for graduate applicants.
- Applicants MUST check the deadline with the institution they intend to submit their application to.
NIIED receives applications from Korean Embassies or domestic universities that recommend potential candidates. Therefore,
- Applicants must submit their applications with all required documents either to
- Korean Embassies around the world or
- Partner universities in Korea.
- The embassies and universities select the successful candidates among the applicants in the 1st round of selection.
- The application of successful candidates will then be forwarded to NIIED.
- The NIIED selection committee selects successful candidates among those who passed the 1st round.(2nd round)
- Among the successful candidates who have passed the 2nd round, application of those who applied through the Korean Embassies will be reviewed by universities for admission.
Please note that this application call is only for master and PhD applicants. For more detail on the Korean Government Scholarship (GKS), please visit the official page To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.