The Government of Romania Scholarship for International Students is now open for application. Organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and the Ministry of Education and Research (MER), the scholarship is open for international students willing to study at Undergraduate, Master’s and PhD Level in Romania. Applicants from all countries in the world, except for EU member states are welcome to apply.
Candidates for this scholarship to study in Europe can only pursue their studies in Romanian language if they have been selected for undergraduate and master’s degree programs. Doctoral students can choose to study in Romanian or foreign language, provided those options are available at the institution they are applying to. For Romanian non-speakers who need to study in Romanian Language, a one-year Romanian language preparatory course is granted prior to the actual university studies.
Located at the crossroads of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe and sharing borders with Bulgaria, Ukraine, Hungary, Serbia, and Moldova, Romania is the seventh-most populous member state of the European Union (19.3 million inhabitants as of 2020). The country’s capital and largest city is Bucharest. Romania ranks 52nd in the Human Development Index and has the world’s 45th largest economy by nominal GDP (as of 2020).
- Host Institutions: Higher education institutions in Romania (See list below).
- Fields of study: Opened for available fields of study at host institutions except for studies in medicine, dental medicine and pharmacy.
- Language of study: Romanian language or foreign language.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Undergraduate (3 to 6 years), Master’s (1,5 to 2 years) and PhD (3-4 years).
- Target group: Open for all Nationalities except citizens EU member states.
Government of Romania Scholarship Benefits
The Government of Romania Scholarship will provide successful applicants with the following benefits
- Free tuition fees;
- Monthly allowance of:
- 65 EURO per month, for under-graduate students,
- 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (Master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle,
- 85 EURO per month, for post graduate students (doctorate degree) 3rd cycle.
Note: the scholarship do not cover food, international and local transport. Candidates must be prepared to personally support any other additional expenses.
List of Romania Higher Educational Institutions
Below is the list of Higher Educational Institutions where scholarship winner may potentially pursue their studies in Romania.
- Politehnica University Of Bucharest – www.upb.ro
- Technical University Of Civil Engineering Of Bucharest – www.utcb.ro
- University Of Achitecture And Urbanism Of Bucharest – www.uauim.ro
- University Of Agronomic Scriences And Veterinary Medicine Of Bucharest – www.usamv.ro
- University Of Bucharest – www.Unibuc.ro
- Bucharest University Of Economic Studies – www.ase.ro
- Bucharest National University Of Music – www.unmb.ro
- Bucharest National University Of Arts- www.unarte.org
- Bucharest University Of Theatre And Film “I. L. Caragiale” – www.unatc.ro
- National University Of Physical Education And Sports – www.Uneoffs.ro
- National University Of Political Studies And Public Administration Of Bucharest – www.snspa.ro
- University Of Alba Iulia – www.uab.ro
- University Of Arad – www.uav.ro
- University Of Bacău – www.ub.ro
- University Of Braşov – www.unitbv.ro
- Technical University Of Cluj-Napoca – www.utcluj.ro
- University Of Agronomic Scriences And Veterinary Medicine Of Cluj-Napoca – www.usamvcluj.ro
- University Of Cluj-Napoca – www.ubbcluj.ro
- Music Academy Of Cluj-Napoca – www.amgd.ro
- Arts And Design University Of Cluj-Napoca – www.uad.ro
- University Of Constanţa – www.univ-Ovidius.ro
- Constanta Maritime University – www.cmu-edu.eu
- Craiova University- www.Central.ucv.ro
- University Of Galați – www.ugal.ro
- Technical University Of Iaşi – www.tuiasi.ro
- University Of Agronomic Scriences And Veterinary Medicine Of Iaşi – www.uaiasi.ro
- University Of Iaşi – www.uaic.ro
- Art University Of Iaşi – www.arteiasi.ro
- University Of Oradea – www.uoradea.ro
- University Of Petroşani – www.upet.ro
- University Of Piteşti – www.upit.ro
- Petroleum-Gas University Of Ploiesti – www.upg-Ploiesti.ro
- University Of Reșița – www.uem.ro
- University Of Sibiu – www.ulbsibiu.ro
- University Of Suceava – www.usv.ro
- University Of Târgoviște – www.valahia.ro
- University Of Târgu Jiu – www.utgjiu.ro
- University Of Târgu Mureș – www.upm.ro
- Arts University Of Târgu Mureș – www.uat.ro
- University Of Timişoara – www.upt.ro
- University Of Agronomic Scriences And Veterinary Medicine Of Timişoara – www.usab-Tm.ro
- West University Of Timişoara www.uvt.ro.
Please click here for details on Romanian Higher Educational Institutions.
Government of Romania Scholarship Eligibility
The scholarship program is open for candidates that have the following profile:
- Foreign citizens coming from all the states of the world, except for EU member states.
- Foreign citizens of Romanian origin and those belonging to the neighboring historic Romanian communities benefit from other scholarship programs.
- must not hold Romanian citizenship,
- did not request or did not obtain a form of protection in Romania,
- is not a stateless person whose residence on Romanian territory,
- is not a member of the diplomatic corps accredited to Bucharest or a family member of a diplomatic corps accredited in Romania,
- has not benefited from a scholarship from the Romanian state on the same course of study.
- Applicants must present study papers issued by accredited / recognized educational institutions and have good results.
- Applicants must have less than
- 35 years old for bachelor and master studies and
- 45 years old for doctoral studies or for postgraduate studies.
- Belgium Government Scholarship;
- French Government Scholarship;
- Singapore Government Scholarship;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship;
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
There are two ways to submit applications for this scholarship to study in Europe.
A :Application files must be submitted, in electronic or physical format (preferably in electronic format) through diplomatic missions (Romanian diplomatic missions accredited to the candidate’s country of origin, or of residence), or
B :Through the diplomatic mission of the candidate’s state of origin accredited to Bucharest.
- Application form, completed in full (Click here to download the form). The form is in English and French.
- Copies of the diplomas obtained (baccalaureate diploma or its equivalent, plus bachelor’s, master’s, doctorate degree, if applicable), if applicable
- Copies of transcripts of the completed studies, if applicable
- Copy of the birth certificate (or equivalent document) and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable
- Copy of the first three pages of the passport
- Curriculum Vitae in English or French (Please click here to download the required format), and for the doctoral cycle also a letter of intent from the applicant in English, French or Romanian.
Candidates should also provide the following documents (If applicable to them).
- proof of name change (if applicable) and the authorized translation into English, French or Romanian, if applicable
- certificate proving the passing of the baccalaureate, bachelor’s or master’s exam, as the case may be, for graduates who do not hold yet the diploma
- certificate proving that the person in the final year of studies is to take the graduation exam at the end of the school/university year
- transcript attesting the academic record of the person in the final year of studies, until the moment of submitting the application file,
- certificate of completion of the Romanian language preparatory year or the certificate of linguistic competence, if applicable
- notarized declaration of parental consent in the case of candidates who have not reached the age of 18 by the date of commencement of the courses.
Note : Documents that are not in English, French or Romanian should be attached with their authorized translation into English, French or Romanian
Note : Application files submitted by the candidate directly to the MFA or to the MER, as well as application files received after deadline will NOT be taken into consideration. The scholarship results will be announced on July 15, 2021 to each diplomatic mission that has submitted application files to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
To be considered for this scholarship, candidates must make sure that all their documents are received by . Do not forget to visit the official page for more details. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.