The Government of Romania Scholarship for International Students is now open for application. Organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and the Ministry of Education and Research (MER), the scholarship is open for international students willing to study at Undergraduate, Master’s and PhD Level in Romania. Applicants from all countries in the world, except for EU member states are welcome to apply.
Candidates for this scholarship to study in Europe can only pursue their studies in the Romanian language if they have been selected for undergraduate and master’s degree programs. Doctoral students can choose to study in Romanian or a foreign language, provided those options are available at the institution they are applying to. For Romanian non-speakers who need to study in the Romanian Language, a one-year Romanian language preparatory course is granted prior to the actual university studies. Applicants may select their study program of interest in all fields, with the exception of Medicine, Dental Medicine and Pharmacy.
Located at the crossroads of Central, Eastern, and Southeastern Europe and sharing borders with Bulgaria, Ukraine, Hungary, Serbia, and Moldova, Romania is the seventh-most populous member state of the European Union (19.3 million inhabitants as of 2020). The country’s capital and largest city is Bucharest. Romania ranks 52nd in the Human Development Index and has the world’s 45th largest economy by nominal GDP (as of 2020).
- Host Institutions: Higher education institutions in Romania (See list below).
- Fields of study: Opened for available for all fields of study at host institutions except for studies in medicine, dental medicine and pharmacy.
- Language of study: Romanian language or foreign language.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Undergraduate (3 to 6 years), Master’s (1,5 to 2 years) and PhD (3-4 years).
- Target group: Open for all Nationalities except citizens EU member states.
Government of Romania Scholarship Benefits
This government scholarship will provide successful applicants with the following benefits
- Free tuition fees;
- Monthly allowance of:
- 65 EURO per month, for under-graduate students,
- 75 EURO per month, for post-graduate students (Master degrees and specialization) 2nd cycle,
- 85 EURO per month, for post graduate students (doctorate degree) 3rd cycle.
Note: The scholarships do not cover the costs of international transport and those of domestic transport from the Romanian border crossing point to the university. In this regard, candidates must be prepared for the personal financial support of the additional costs.
List of Romania Higher Educational Institutions
Below is the list of Higher Educational Institutions where scholarship winner may potentially pursue their studies in Romania.
- Politehnica University of Bucharest – www.upb.ro
- Technical University of Civil Engineering of Bucharest – www.utcb.ro
- University of Architecture and Urbanism of Bucharest – www.uauim.ro
- University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Bucharest – www.usamv.ro
- University of Bucharest – www.Unibuc.ro
- Bucharest University of Economic Studies – www.ase.ro
- Bucharest National University of Music – www.unmb.ro
- Bucharest National University of Arts- www.unarte.org
- Bucharest University of Theatre and Film “I. L. Caragiale” – www.unatc.ro
- National University of Physical Education and Sports – www.Uneoffs.ro
- National University of Political Studies and Public Administration of Bucharest – www.snspa.ro
- University of Alba Iulia – www.uab.ro
- University of Arad – www.uav.ro
- University of Bacău – www.ub.ro
- University of Braşov – www.unitbv.ro
- Technical University of Cluj-Napoca – www.utcluj.ro
- University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Cluj-Napoca – www.usamvcluj.ro
- University of Cluj-Napoca – www.ubbcluj.ro
- Music Academy of Cluj-Napoca – www.amgd.ro
- Arts and Design University of Cluj-Napoca – www.uad.ro
- University of Constanţa – www.univ-Ovidius.ro
- Constanta Maritime University – www.cmu-edu.eu
- Craiova University- www.Central.ucv.ro
- University of Galați – www.ugal.ro
- Technical University of Iaşi – www.tuiasi.ro
- University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Iaşi – www.uaiasi.ro
- University of Iaşi – www.uaic.ro
- Art University of Iaşi – www.arteiasi.ro
- University of Oradea – www.uoradea.ro
- University of Petroşani – www.upet.ro
- University of Piteşti – www.upit.ro
- Petroleum-Gas University of Ploiesti – www.upg-Ploiesti.ro
- University of Reșița – www.uem.ro
- University of Sibiu – www.ulbsibiu.ro
- University of Suceava – www.usv.ro
- University of Târgoviște – www.valahia.ro
- University of Târgu Jiu – www.utgjiu.ro
- University of Târgu Mureș – www.upm.ro
- Arts University of Târgu Mureș – www.uat.ro
- University of Timişoara – www.upt.ro
- University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of Timişoara – www.usab-Tm.ro
- West University of Timişoara www.uvt.ro.
Government of Romania Scholarship Eligibility
The scholarship program is open for candidates that have the following profile:
- Foreign citizens coming from all the states of the world, except for EU member states.
- Foreign citizens of Romanian origin and those belonging to the neighboring historic Romanian communities benefit from other scholarship programs.
- must not hold Romanian citizenship,
- did not request or did not obtain a form of protection in Romania,
- is not a stateless person whose residence on Romanian territory,
- is not a member of the diplomatic corps accredited to Bucharest or a family member of a diplomatic corps accredited in Romania,
- has not benefited from a scholarship from the Romanian state on the same course of study.
- Applicants must present study papers issued by accredited / recognized educational institutions and have good results.
- Belgium Government Scholarship;
- French Government Scholarship;
- Singapore Government Scholarship;
- Top Scholarships to Study in France for Foreign Students.
How to Apply for the Government of Romania Scholarship
This year, the Romania scholarship to study in Europe can be sent ONLY through the Study in Romania platform. Please click on the apply button below to access the online application platform. Applicants should also upload required documents to the online systems.
- Copies of the diplomas obtained (baccalaureate diploma or its equivalent, plus Bachelor, Master, doctoral degree (PhD), if applicable) and their authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copies of transcripts of the completed studies and their authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the birth certificate (or equivalent document) and the authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the first three pages of the passport or of the residence permit and the authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Curriculum Vitae in English or French in the required format, and for the doctoral cycle an additional letter of intent from the applicant in English, French, Spanish or Romanian.
Candidates should also provide the following documents (If applicable to them).
- Copy of the proof of name change (if applicable) and the authorized translation into English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the certificate proving the passing of the baccalaureate, Bachelor, or Master exam, as the case may be, for graduates who do not hold yet the diploma and the authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the certificate proving that the person in the final year of studies is to take the graduation exam at the end of the school/university year and the authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the transcript attesting the academic record of the person in the final year of studies, until the moment of submitting the application file, and the authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
- Copy of the certificate of completion of the Romanian language preparatory year or the certificate of linguistic competence, if applicable.
- Copy of the notarized declaration of parental consent in the case of candidates who have not reached the age of 18 by the date of commencement of the courses and the authorized translation in English, French, Spanish or Romanian, if applicable.
Note: Documents that are not in English, French or Romanian should be attached with their authorized translation into English, French or Romanian. After submitting the online application, you will receive a confirmation message on the platform and an email notifying you of the successful submission. The scholarship results will be announced on July 15, 2022.
The deadline to submit applications for the Government of Romania Scholarship is . Do not forget to visit the official page for more details. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.