Application for the Korean Government Scholarship for master and PhD degree students is now open. The Korean Government Scholarship (GKS) programs which have been integrated and branded as Global Korean Scholarship (GKS), aim to provide international students with opportunities to conduct advanced studies in undergraduate & graduate programs at higher educational institutions in the Republic of Korea.
Fully funded, this scholarship program to study in South Korea aims to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries. Grantees are required to take the Korean language training courses for 1 year at a language institution located on the campus of domestic universities. Those who have attained a Korean language fluency score higher than level 5 in TOPIK, are exempt from this requirement.
- Host institutions: Partner universities in South Korea.
- Areas of Research : Disciplines available at participating universities.
- Number of fellowships : 1,300 for graduate studies and research.
- Duration : Please find details below.
- Eligible countries: Open to non-Korean citizens.
Korean Government Scholarship Benefits
The Korean Government Scholarship (GKS) is a Fully funded program that provides selected candidates with the following benefits:
- Airfare: Actual cost;
- Resettlement Allowance: KRW 200,000;
- Living Allowance:
- Undergraduate: KRW 900,000;
- Graduate (Master PhD): KRW 1,000,000;
- Research : 1,500,000 KRW.
- Medical Insurance: standard amount set by NIIED;
- Language Courses: KRW 1,000,000 per quarter;
- Tuition Fees: Actual cost (No more than 5 million KRW per semester);
- Award for Excellent Korean Language Proficiency: KRW 100,000;
- research Support: KRW 210,000 – 240,000 (per semester).
|Associate degree||1 year of Korean language program (KLP) + 2~3 years|
|Bachelor’s degree||1 year KLP + 4~6 years (5~6 years for some programs e.g., Architecture, Medicine)|
|Master’s Degree||1 year KLP + 2 years|
|Doctoral Degree||1 year KLP + 3 years|
|Research||6 months or 1 year|
Korean Government Scholarship Host Universities by Type
Candidates can use this Asia scholarship to study in various fields at partner higher educational institutions.
Type A : General (30 institutions)
Ajou University, Chung-Ang University, Dankook University, Dongguk University, Duksung Women’s University, Ewha Womans University, GIST (Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology), Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Hanyang University ERICA, Hanyang University (Seoul), Inha University, KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology), KDI School of Public Policy and Management, Konkuk University, Kookmin University, Korea University, Kyung Hee University,
POSTECH (Pohang University of Science and Technology), Seokyeong University, Seoul National University, SeoulTech (Seoul National University of Science and Technology), Sogang University, Sookmyung Women’s University, Soongsil University, Sungkyunkwan University, Sungshin Women’s University, Tech University of Korea, UNIST (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology), University of Seoul, Yonsei University.
Type B (35 institutions)
Andong National University, Busan University of Foreign Studies, Changwon National University, Chonnam National University, Chungbuk National University, Chungnam National University, Daegu University, Daejeon University, Dong-A University, Dongseo University, Gangneung-Wonju National University, Gyeongsang National University, Hannam University,
Hoseo University, Inje University, Jeju National University, Jeonbuk National University, Kangwon National University, Keimyung University, Kongju National University, Konyang University, KOREATECH (Korea University of Technology and Education), Kunsan National University, Kyungpook National University, Mokwon University, National Korea Maritime & Ocean University, Pai Chai University, Pukyong National University, Pusan National University, Semyung University, Silla University, Soonchunhyang University, Sun Moon University, Sunchon National University, Yeungnam University.
Available Universities by Application Track
Please find below, the list of universities to which applicants can apply through the two tracks.
General, Overseas Korean, Teaching Professional, and Research Program candidates can apply for Type A or Type B universities.
Note : Overseas Koreans refer to ethnic Korean without Korean citizenship. Overseas Koreans include
offspring of the Korean diaspora or Korean immigrants who live in countries outside of the Korean peninsula. Embassy Track applicants may choose up to THREE different universities from Type A and B and MUST apply to at least one of the universities from Type B. Research program applicant must apply to ONE university among Type A and B.
General and Research university candidates can apply for Type A or Type B universities. Regional University candidates can only apply for Type B universities.
Research and Development (R&D) candidates must apply to the following universities: Ajou University, Chonnam National University, Gyeongsang National University, Inje University, KAIST (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology), Keimyung University, Kookmin University, KOREATECH (Korea University of Technology and Education), Kyungpook National University, SeoulTech (Seoul National University of Science and Technology), Soonchunhyang University, Sungkyunkwan University.
Note : R&D Program (in University Track) provides R&D-focused curriculum and field experience in research institutes and industries. In addition, the program aims to attract and nurture talented scholars in the strategic high-tech industry and to be beneficial to an individual’s future career. Applicants for Type B universities can apply to their desired program. For example, master’s degree applicants for Type B University can apply either through a general program or through a regional university program.
Korean Government Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for the Global Korean Scholarship (GKS), applicants must meet criteria below:
- All applicants must hold citizenship of NIIED designated countries that are invited to take part in the GKS program.
- All applicants and their parents must NOT hold Korean citizenship. If an applicant or his/her parent(s) hold dual citizenship (one who has Korean citizenship and citizenship of another country), he/she is NOT eligible to apply.
- Applicants and their parents who had previously held Korean citizenship must submit documentation that proves their renunciation of Korean citizenship.
- If an applicant’s citizenship is changed during the selection process, he or she will be excluded from the evaluation. (Not applicable to R&D program).
- Applicants from all countries around the world can apply to R&D program
Note : For Overseas Korean applicants in an embassy track holding Japanese citizenship, if their parents hold a ‘Permanent Residency Permit’ within Japan while holding Korean citizenship, they are exceptionally eligible to apply
- Master’s Program Applicant: Must hold a bachelor’s degree or a level of education equivalent to or higher than a bachelor’s degree.
- Doctoral Program Applicant: Must hold a Master’s degree or a level of education equivalent to or higher than a master’s degree.
- Research Program Applicant: Applicants must have obtained the required degree (minimum level of education indicated above) by February 28, 2023.
- Postdoctoral Research Program: Must hold a doctoral degree
- Professor Exchange Program: Must hold a Master’s degree AND must be currently teaching at a university as a professor
- Program for Education, Science, Culture, or International Cooperation Professionals: Must hold a Master’s degree AND must be a professional in a field of Education, Science, Culture, or International Cooperation (E.S.C.I.)
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of the entire curriculum from the previous degree program must meet one of the conditions below. For example, the previous degree for a doctoral degree program applicant is a master’s degree program.
- CGPA must be above 2.64/4.0, 2.80/4.3, 2.91/4.5, or 3.23/5.0
- Score percentile should be 80% or above on a 100-point scale or be ranked within the top 20% of one’s class.
Note : Applicants must submit an academic transcript with CGPA or ranking information. If a transcript does not provide CGPA in any one of the accepted GPA scales (4.0, 4.3, 4.5, 5.0, or 100-point scale), then the applicant must submit a transcript converted into one of the above GPA scales as a supplementary document.
- Must be under 40 years of age (born after September 1, 1983)
- Academic professors in one of the Official Development Assistance (ODA) recipients who are under 45 years of age (born after September 1, 1978) are eligible to apply.
- Islamic Development Bank Scholarship for all Levels;
- Australia Awards Scholarships for Development;
- Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships in Germany.
How to Apply for the Korean Government Scholarship?
Interested applicants in this government scholarship program must check the deadline and application methods with the institution they intend to submit their application to.
NIIED receives applications from Korean Embassies or domestic universities that recommend potential candidates. Therefore, applicants must submit their applications with all required documents either to :
- Korean Embassies around the world or
- Partner universities in Korea.
- The embassies and universities select the successful candidates among the applicants in the 1st round of selection.
- The application of successful candidates will then be forwarded to NIIED.
- The NIIED selection committee selects successful candidates among those who passed the 1st round. (2nd round)
- Among the successful candidates who have passed the 2nd round, application of those who applied through the Korean Embassies will be reviewed by universities for admission.
Please note that this application call is only for master, PhD and research applicants. Please click here if you wish to apply for undergraduate programs.
Deadlines are decided by each Korean embassy and university and usually fall in February ~ March for graduate applicants. For more detail on the Korean Government Scholarship (GKS), please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.