Application are now opened for the Korean Government Scholarship for undergraduate students. Integrated and branded as Global Korean Scholarship (GKS), the Korean Government Scholarship aims to provide support for international students from eligible countries to undertake Undergraduate studies at Higher Educational Institutions in South Korea.
GKS program aims to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries. Selected candidates are required to attend a one-year Korean language course in Korea, prior to their major studies. Those who have attained a Korean language fluency score higher than level 5 in TOPIK are exempt from this requirement.
The GKS scholarship program is fully funded and will be awarded to 220 International Students, willing to study an undergraduate degree program in Korea under the Korean Global Korean Scholarship 2021. It will need 5 years to complete your bachelor’s degree (1 year of Korean language program + 4 years major courses) and 3 or 4 years to complete an Associate degree (1 year of Korean language program + 2~3 years of Associate degree).
This Scholarship has 2 Tracks: the embassy track and the university track. You may choose to apply through the track that is suitable for you. A total of 125 students will be selected through the embassy track and 95 through the university track to study in any academic field or major in South Korea.
- Host institutions: Partner universities in South Korea.
- Areas of Research : Disciplines available at participating universities.
- Number of fellowships : 220.
- Duration : 3 or 4 years for Associate degree and years for Bachelor’s degree.
- Eligible countries: Open to citizens of the following countries:
Afghanistan, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bhutan, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Congo(DRC), Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Rwanda, Senegal, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Sweden, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen,
Korean Government Scholarship for Undergraduate Students Benefits
The Korean Government Scholarship (GKS) will provide selected candidates with the following benefits:
- Round trip economy class flight ticket between GKS scholar’s home country and Korea;
- Resettlement Allowance: 200,000 KW;
- Monthly Allowance: 900,000 KRW per month
- 1-Year Korean Language Training Fee: Fully covered
- Medical Insurance: 60,000 KRW per month;
- Tuition Fees: Actual cost (No more than 5 million KRW per semester);
- Award for Excellent Korean Language Proficiency: KRW 100,000;
- Degree Completion Grants: 100,000 KRW (offered once);
Korean Government Scholarship for Undergraduate Students Eligibility
To apply for the Global Korean Scholarship (GKS), applicants must meet criteria below:
- All applicants and their parents must be citizens of GKS program’s partner countries that are invited to take part in this program and must not hold Korean citizenship.
- Korean citizens and dual citizenship holders (one who have Korean citizenship and citizenship of another country) are NOT eligible to apply.
- Must be under 25 years of age as of March 1, 2021 (born after March 1, 1996)
- Must hold high school diploma as of March 1st, 2021 or must be expected to graduate high school by March 1st, 2021.
- Applicants who are expecting to get their high school diploma must first submit a certificate of the expected graduation diploma at the time of applying. The official high school graduation certificate and final high school transcript must be submitted by March 1st, 2021 at the very latest.
- All applicants must have maintained the overall grade point average (CGPA) equivalent to or higher than any ONE of the following from their respective universities:
- Bachelor’s Degree Applicant: 80% or above on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 20% within one’s class
- Associate Degree Applicant: 75% or above on a 100 point scale or be ranked within the top 25% within one’s class.
- All applicants must be in good health, both mentally and physically, to study in Korea for the full duration of degree or research programs.
- All applicants must submit Form 6 (available at the required documents section) or the “Personal Medical Assessment” at the time of applying.
Korean Government Scholarship for Undergraduate Students Eligible Universities And Fields Of Study
Available Universities and specializations varies depending on the track you’re applying through:
EMBASSY TRACK (Bachelor’s Degree: 125 Candidates)
Type A (14 institutions):
Ajou University, Duksung Women’s University, Ewha Womans University, Hanyang University, Konkuk University, Kookmin University, Korea Polytechnic University, Korea University, Kyung Hee University, Seoul National University, Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Sookmyung Women’s University, Sungkyunkwan University, Yonsei University
Type B (24 institutions):
Busan University of Foreign Studies, Chungnam National University, Chonnam National University, Daegu University, Daejeon University, Dongseo University, Handong Global University, Hannam University, Inje University, Jeju National University, Kangwon National University, Keimyung University, Kongju National University,
Konyang University, Kyungpook National University, National Korea Maritime & Ocean University, Pai Chai University, Pukyong National University, Pusan National University, Semyung University, Silla University, Soonchunhyang University, Sun Moon University, Sunchon National University.
UNIVERSITY TRACKS (Bachelor’s Degree: 60 Candidates, Associate Degree: 35 Candidates)
Regional University Track: (only for Natural Science & Engineering Majors) 24 institutions:
Busan University of Foreign Studies, Chungnam National University, Chonnam National University, Daegu University, Daejeon University, Dongseo University, Handong Global University, Hannam University, Inje University, Jeju National University, Kangwon National University, Keimyung University, Kongju National
University, Konyang University, Kyungpook National University, National Korea Maritime & Ocean University, Pai Chai University, Pukyong National University, Pusan National University, Semyung University, Silla University, Soonchunhyang University, Sun Moon University, Sunchon National University.
Associate Degree Track: 6 institutions:
Chejuhalla University, Dong-Ah Institute of Media and Arts, Inha Technical College, Kyungbok University, Yeungjin University, Yeungnam University College.
Fields Of Study
- Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Applied Chemistry and Biological Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Transportation Systems Engineering
- Architectural Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Cyber Security Major
- Digital Media Major
- Life Sciences
- Business Administration
- Korean Literature and Languages
- English Literature and Languages
- French Literature and Languages
- Culture and Contents
- Economics & Finance
- Public Administration
- Political Science and Diplomacy etc. Please visit the official page for more details.
- UK Government Chevening Scholarships for Foreign Students;
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme;
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship;
- Government of the Czech Republic Scholarships (Master – PhD);
- Brazilian Government Scholarship Programme for Developing Countries;
- Slovak Government Scholarship for International Students;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
How to Apply for the Korean Government Scholarship for Undergraduate Students
- Deadline are decided by each Korean embassy and university and usually fall in
- September ~ October in the year prior to planned studies in Korea for undergraduate
- February ~ March for graduate studies. Please find more about the Korean Government Scholarship for Master’s and PhD degree students here.
- September ~ October in the year prior to planned studies in Korea for undergraduate
- Applicants MUST check the deadline with the institution they intend to submit their application to.
NIIED receives applications from Korean Embassies or domestic universities that recommend potential candidates. Therefore, applicants must submit their applications with all required documents either to
- Korean Embassies around the world or
- Partner universities in Korea.
- Applicant Form (Form 1). Please click here to download All Forms (form 1 to form 6);
- Personal Statement (Form 2);
- Study Plan (Form 3);
- TWO letters of Recommendation (Form 4);
- GKS Applicant Agreement (Form 5);
- Personal Medical Assessment (Form 6);
- Certificate of High school graduation (or expected graduation certificate);
- High school Grade Transcripts;
- Applicant’s Proof of Citizenship Document (Birth certificates or family registrar, passport copy, etc.);
- Applicant’s Parent’s Proof of Citizenship Document (Birth certificates or family registrar, passport copy, etc.);
- Awards and other certificates (Optional);
- Certificate of valid TOPIK score (Optional);
- Certificate of valid English Proficiency Test (Optional).
Please note that this application call is only for undergraduate applicants. To know more about the Korean Government Scholarship (GKS), please visit the official page To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.