Applications are currently being received for the Science by Women Fellowship Programme. The Women for Africa Foundation, in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through the drive of its women, launched the SCIENCE BY WOMEN program, with the aims of promoting African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and fostering the capacity of the research centres in their home countries.
The objective of the Science by Women Fellowship Programme ultimate goal is to enable African women researchers to play a leading role in the transition of Africa to a knowledge-based and innovation-led economy and thereby in the transformation of people’s daily lives.
- Host institutions: Centres of Excellence in Spain (Institute of Photonic Sciences (ICFO), Vall d´Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR), Institute for Neuroscience (IN), Kronikgune Research Center, Biocruces Bizkaia, DeustoTech, Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO), Institute of Health Carlos III (ISCIII), Donostia International Physics Center, Spanish National Center of Biotechnology (CNB), Institute of Mathematical Sciences (ICMAT), Centre for Genomics Regulation (CGR), Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (BGSE), Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC), Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands (PLOCAN), Biomedical and Health Research Institute at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC), The Basque Center for Applied Mathematics – BCAM, Basque Center for Macromolecular Design and Engineering POLYMAT Fundazioa, Materials Physics Center (MPC-CFM)).
- Area: Health and Bio-medicine, Energy, Water and Climate Change, Sustainable Agriculture and Food Safety.
- Number of awards: 19.
- Duration: Six-month.
- Target group: Open to African Women.
Science by Women Fellowship Programme Benefits
The Programme will provide successful candidates with the following benefits:
- Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
- Living allowance of 2.400 Euros (before taxes) per month to cover accommodation, personal expenses and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
- Women for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with the research centre, will help beneficiaries with the compulsory formalities in order to obtain the visa with Spanish Embassies and Consulates.
Science by Women Fellowship Programme Eligibility
Any person who meets the following requirements can apply for this programme:
- Being a woman;
- Having the nationality of an African country;
- Having a PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience;
- Current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated above;
- Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience;
- Solid working knowledge of English;
- Proven experience leading a research group.
Note: Beneficiaries of previous editions of this program are not eligible. When applying, candidates must have already identified research groups in the host centres to confirm that their proposed research can be carried out in collaboration with those research groups and, when needed, in their laboratories.
- Concordia University Entrance Scholarships to Study in Canada;
- Special Scholarship Program at Kochi University of Technology;
- Université de Montréal International Student Scholarship;
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS);
- Learn Africa Scholarship Program for African women;
- DRD Scholarships for Sub-Saharan Africans with SA-GER CDR;
- KAUST Scholarship 2020 for Master and PhD Students.
Please submit your application by clicking the apply button and following instructions. Candidates must submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
- Full curriculum vitae
- Fully filled form
- Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages).
Research proposals should fall within the main research strands of the chosen centre. Applications must be submitted in English only. For further information, please contact the Foundation at: [email protected].
The deadline to submit applications has been extended to . For more detail on the Science by Women Fellowship Programme, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.