The 2020-2021 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) are now opened for applications. The program has been created by the Government of Canada to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning.
The Vanier programme is fully funded and available for doctoral degree studies in the social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health. The Scholarship will be awarded to candidates who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of academic achievements in their graduate studies.
Vanier scholarships are distributed equally between the three federal granting agencies: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC).
- Host Institutions: Eligible Canadian institutions in Canada.
- Field of Study: social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
- Duration: 3 years (non-renewable).
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 166.
- Target group: Open to all nationalities.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Benefits
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships is valued at $50,000 per year. The scholarship will be provided to successful applicants for three years, during doctoral studies.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Eligibility
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be of any nationality;
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD);
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral studies and research at the nominating institution;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2020;
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent;
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level Scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree;
- Doctoral awards are tenable only in degree programs that have a significant research component.
Candidates will be selected using the following criteria: Academic Excellence, Research Potential and Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability).
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships;
- Global PhD Scholarship in Computer Science For All;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research);
- Konrad Adenauer Stiftung scholarship for Master and PhD degrees in Germany;
- World Bank Group Young Professionals Program Benefits;
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University;
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarship.
Interested applicants must follow instructions below to know how to apply. Applications are initiated in one of two ways. Either:
- the student informs the faculty of graduate studies at the selected institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program; or
- the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadline (set in ResearchNet by the nominating institution) using the ResearchNet application system.
A student who has completed the Vanier CGS electronic application through ResearchNet must submit the application online to the Canadian institution that will be putting forward their nomination. Applications cannot be submitted directly to the Vanier CGS program.
Prospective candidates should consult their nominating institution for submission deadline while nominating institutions should send their nominees application no later than . For more detail on the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.