The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns. The OIST Internship in Japan program is for at least two months and at most six months. Placements give the opportunity to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique.
Interns work under the direction of a Professor at OIST and contribute to the research activities of OIST. Specific assignment of duties is at the discretion of the PI, and is subject to change. Places for Research Interns are awarded twice a year on a competitive basis, with the application period months in advance.
OIST Internship in Japan Details
- Host Institution: OIST Graduate School.
- Field of research: Available Faculty and research projects for interns.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: 2 to 6 months.
- Target group: Open to all nationalities.
OIST Internship in Japan Benefits
The OIST Internship in Japan provides successful applicants with:
- OIST provides living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby. Successful applicants will receive a Living Allowance of 2,400 JPY per day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
- OIST will pay for one direct round-trip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facility where the internship will take place (primarily in Okinawa). The travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. Travel for successful applicants is arranged by the OIST Graduate School.
- The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will provide support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as housing, visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. OIST regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student is not available.
OIST Internship in Japan Eligibility
Those eligible to apply for the OIST Internship in Japan Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions. Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST. Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive and are only awarded to outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline. In some cases, additional internship positions may be offered directly by OIST faculty to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group’s research.
- Applications to the OIST Internship in Japan must be made through the online application form
- You will receive an auto-notification that your application has been received. (Please check your settings to ensure you can receive emails from addresses [email protected]).
- Following the application period, applications will be screened and selection will be completed.
- Notification will be sent to successful applicants by 3 months after the deadline, at the latest.
- Following final confirmation of internship offers, all necessary arrangements will be made, in cooperation with the interns. Your cooperation is required for timely completion of logistics to begin the internship, including possible visa preparations and other necessary Japanese government documentation.
- Curriculum Vitae Sheet – OIST C SHEET
- Personal Statement –STATEMEN SHEET
- Academi Transcript – Upload a scan of your current academic transcript in PDF format. Unofficial partial transcripts are accepted.
- Recommendation Letter – A letter of reference from an academic or research professional familiar with your work is required The application system will ask him/ her directly, using the email contact details that you provide. Please obtain the consent of that person before submitting their details in the form. Be sure to also confirm the e-mail address before entering it in the web-form. Applicants will be automatically notified within the application system when a letter of recommendation is received by OIST.
- ID Photo – Upload a recent photo, showing your face from the front in standard passport orientation (image must be in JPG format, and less than 5 MB).
Once you have obtained/ prepared all the documents above, and checked faculty projects availability, please apply to the program through this APPLICATION FORM. The deadlines are as follow: March 15th – April 15th for the first round and September 15th – October 15th for the second round each year. For more detail on the OIST Internship in Japan, please visit the official page.