The Ashinaga Africa Initiative began in 2014. Its mission is to contribute to Sub-Saharan Africa’s expanding role in global development through increasing access to higher education abroad. the initiative support orphaned students who are committed to returning home and initiating change, by providing access to full financial support to study at a university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree). Ashinaga support covers tuition, accommodation, travel costs, and other necessary fees.
Ashinaga Africa Initiative Details
- Host Institution: Universities abroad.
- Field of study: Not specified.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Applicants program duration.
- Target group: Open to people who have citizenship and have completed/are completing secondary school in one of the following countries: Botswana, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Kingdom of eSwatini, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius*, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles*, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon*, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Gabon, Guinea Conakry, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Republic of Congo, Senegal and Togo.
Ashinaga Africa Initiative Benefits
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative provides successful applicants with a full financial support to study at university abroad (equivalent to undergraduate degree), including tuition, room, travel cost and other necessary fees.
Ashinaga Africa Initiative Eligibility
To qualify for the Initiative, Applicants must:
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Have completed secondary school and passed national secondary school examination (technical and vocational degrees not accepted) within the last two years (any date after 1st September 2017, including all of 2018 and 2019) or will have completed secondary school and received final exam results before February 28th, 2020.
- Have citizenship and have completed/are completing secondary school in one of the eligible country above.
- Were born after 1st September 1997.
- Do not have the means to attend university until graduation without external financial support.
- Are proficient in English or French.
- Are regularly ranked in the top 10% of their class during their last 2 or 3 years of secondary school.
- Are able to participate in the two Ashinaga preparatory programs, over the course of one year, before attending university.
- Are committed to return home, or to Sub-Saharan Africa, and contribute to society in Sub-Saharan Africa after graduating from university.
- Have no dependents who could interfere with academic progress.
- Have a good enough health condition to be able to study abroad.
There are three ways to apply for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative; Online, by email and by post. There is no application fee, and you must never pay anyone to apply or to apply on your behalf.
- Copy of national ID card or passport.
- Copy of term reports / high school transcripts (the last 2 years).
- Copy of final Secondary School Examination Certificate. For students receiving their examination results after December 13th 2019 and before February 28th 2020 we will ask you to send your examination certificate if you are selected to progress to the second round of the application process.
- Copy of academic transcripts or diplomas from university/post-secondary institution, if applicable.
- Copy of death certificate of deceased parent(s), including the deceased parent’s name, or alternative official documentation proving death of parent(s) or orphan status.
- Copy of birth certificate of applicant.
As stated above, there are three ways to apply for the Ashinaga Africa Initiative
A. Online application
Click on the apply button below, select your country (The form will change to the official language of the selected country) and click next. follow instruction to fill the form, upload required documents (except for the application form) and submit.
B. Application by Email:
- Download the application form.
- Print the application form and fill it out
- Scan the completed application form and the other required documents in either PDF or JPG format
- For Anglophone Countries, email your scanned documents to: [email protected]
- For Francophone Countries, email your scanned documents to:[email protected]
- Use your name and country as the email title
C. Application by Post
- Download the application form or ask for the form from your local Japanese embassy.
- Print the application form and fill it out.
- Make photocopies of your completed application form and all other required documents
- For Anglophone Countries, Send all photocopies to the following address: Ashinaga Africa Initiative Recruitment Team. P.O. Box 16864 – Kampala, Uganda. Do not send original documents, copies only
- For Francophone Countries, Send all photocopies to the following address: Ashinaga Sénégal, BP5081, 10700, Fann, Dakar, Sénégal
For more detail, please visit the official page.