Application for the 2020-2021 UBC Public Scholars Award in Canada is now open. The University of British Columbia (UBC) scholarship aims to build connections, community, and capacity for doctoral students who are interested in explicitly linking their doctoral work to an arena of public benefit and integrating broader and more career-relevant forms of Scholarship into their doctoral education process.
The scholarship is open for both domestic and overseas students who are currently pursuing doctoral degree at the University of British Columbia in Canada. Funding is available for up to 30-40 new students and tenable for up to two years. The award is part of the UBC Public Scholars Initiative (PSI).
- Host institution: University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada.
- Fields of Study: Available programmes at the university.
- Number of Awards: 30-40.
- Duration : 4 years.
- Eligible countries: Open to all nationalities (Foreigners, Canadians and Permanent Residents).
UBC Public Scholars Award in Canada Benefits
The University of British Columbia Scholarship is Up to $10,000 twice, for a total of $20,000 per student. Funding can be used for:
- A research allowance (including allowance for professional development or travel relevant to the scholarly work);
- Student stipend, if the student’s current funding source would not allow the alternative project(s).
UBC Public Scholars Award in Canada Eligibility
To apply to the University of British Columbia Scholarship, candidates must be a UBC Vancouver doctoral students (PhD, EdD, and DMA) in years 1-5. Applicants:
- must have completed no more than 48 months of doctoral study as of 31 August 2019
- must be registered in a UBC doctoral program as of 1 September 2020
- in their 6th year (48 to 60 months of doctoral study) will be accepted only in the most exceptional circumstances
Requirements for all funded students:
Submission of a report at the end of their first (and if applicable, second) year of funding and presentation of their work at a Network event PhDs Go Public.
All students, faculty, and collaborators will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of their funding/involvement. Student dissertations and student completion and career outcomes will also be reviewed as part of the assessment of this pilot initiative.
You may also be eligible for the:
- University of Jinan Scholarship for International Students;
- Slovak Government Scholarship for International Students;
- International Academic Scholarship in Switzerland;
- Government of Mauritius Africa Scholarship;
- Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI).
How to Apply for the UBC Public Scholars Award in Canada
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for the scholarship, must follow steps below:
- Download the following files: PSI Fellowship Application 2020-2021 and the PSI Fellowship Application Instructions 2020-2021.
- Following the guidelines, fill the Application form.
- Upload the filled Application form and your Canadian Common CV as one pdf file (see instructions for details) to this link.
- For the mandatory supervisor letter of support and the optional letter(s) of support from collaborators, your letter writers should go to this page. You can open the page, and share the link with them.
- This will complete your application.
Applications deadline is . For more detail on the UBC Public Scholars Award in Canada, please visit the official page.