Established by the Ministry of Education of P.R. China in accordance with educational exchange agreements or understandings reached between the Chinese government and the governments of other countries, organizations, education institutions and relevant international organizations, the Chinese Government Scholarship Program provide both full scholarships and partial scholarships to international students and scholars. The China Scholarship Council (CSC) manage the recruitment and carry out the routine management of Chinese Government Scholarship program.
This scholarship program aims to promote education, culture, cooperation and mutual understanding between China and other countries. International students from all world countries are eligible to apply. CSC scholarship is a fully funded program that provides tuition fees, accommodation, monthly stipend, Insurance etc. The program is opened to citizens of all countries in the world willing to study at undergraduate, Master’s, PhD, conduct research or receive a short term training in China.
There are three types of Chinese Government Scholarship: Type A (Chinese Government Scholarship – Bilateral Program), Type B (Chinese Government Scholarship – Chinese University Program), Type C (Chinese Government Scholarship – Other programs). Please read the CSC Scholarship Application Tips and Tricks for more details. The application process varies depending on the type of scholarship you’re applying to. For example, those who are applying for the Chinese University Program are required to submit an application on the CSC online portal, apply to their selected universities and send them all the required documents. Candidates can apply for the three types of scholarship. However, they can only hold one scholarship during their studies.
Located in East Asia, The People’s Republic of China (PRC; 中华人民共和国 – Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó) is the world’s most populous country (1.4 billion in 2019). China is the largest economy in the world by PPP since 2014, the second-largest by nominal GDP since 2010, the world’s largest manufacturing economy since 2010, and the second-wealthiest nation in the world. The country has prestigious institutions that ranked among the world’s top universities.
- Host Institutions: Designated Chinese universities that host CSC scholarship recipients (Click here for full list).
- Fields of study: Opened for available fields of study at designated Chinese universities which offer a variety of academic programs in science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, economics, legal studies, management, education, history, literature, philosophy, and fine arts.
- Language of study: Chinese or English.
- Number of awards: Thousands each year.
- Duration: Please see the table below.
- Eligible Countries: This scholarship program is opened to citizens of all countries in the world.
Chinese Government Scholarship Benefits
Winners of this governmental scholarship will have the following benefits depending on the type of scholarship they won.
A. Full Scholarship
- Exempt from registration fee, tuition, and fee for accommodation;
- Monthly allowance is granted to students through the host institution at the following rates:
- Undergraduates and Chinese language students: 2,500 CNY/month
- Master’s degree students and general scholars: 3,000 CNY/month
- Doctoral degree students and senior scholars: 3,500 CNY/month
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance for International Students in China.
- One-off inter-city travel subsidy (each for coming-in and leaving China) From the port of entry to the admitting institution’s city.
B. Partial Scholarship
One or several items of full scholarship (one-off settlement subsidy and one-off inter-city travel allowance excluded).
Chinese Government Scholarship Duration
This scholarship program to study in China will be awarded for the durations indicated in the table below.
|Supporting Categories||Major Study (year)||Chinese Language (year)||Duration of Scholarship (year)|
|Undergraduate students||4-5||1- 2||4-7|
|General scholars||up to 1||up to 1||up to 2|
|Senior scholars||up to 1||up to 1||up to 2|
Chinese Government Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for this scholarship, candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
- be non-Chinese citizens and in good health.
- Education background and age limit:
- Bachelor degree applicants must have a high school graduation certificate with good academic performance and be under the age of 25. .
- Master’s degree program applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35.
- Doctoral degree program applicants must have a master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Chinese language training program applicants must have a senior high school diploma and be under the age of 35.
- General scholar program applicants must have completed at least two years of undergraduate study and be under the age of 45. All subjects including Chinese language are available.
- Senior scholar program applicants must have a master’s degree or above, or hold academic titles of associate professor or above, and be under the age of 50.
- Belgium Government Scholarship;
- French Government Scholarship;
- Singapore Government Scholarship;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship;
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
There are different ways to apply for the CSC Scholarship depending on the type of scholarship you’re applying for.
I. Application for the Bilateral Program (Type A)
Please contact the local Chinese embassy/consulate for Application Procedure (Generally between January – April).
II. Application for the Chinese University Program (Type B)
Candidates must apply on the CSC online application system, apply to the university (if required) and send documents by post to the university. Please click on the CSC Scholarship Application Steps and Required Documents for more details.
III. Application for Other Programs (Type C)
Please contact the organization or institution that you’re willing to apply through for more details.
Please click on the apply button below, to see the list of Chinese Government Scholarships programs at universities and organization that you can apply for.
Application deadline varies. However, deadlines are generally between December – May. For more details, please read the CSC Scholarship Application Tips and Tricks. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.