Application are currently being received for the French Government Scholarship (Eiffel Scholarship). The scholarship program was established by the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs to enable French higher education institutions to attract top foreign students to enroll in their masters and PhD programs.
The program gives an opportunity to future foreign decision-makers of private and public sectors, in priority areas of study and supports applicants up to 30 years old from developing countries at Master’s level, and applicants up to 35 years old from developing and industrialized countries at PhD level.
- Host Institution: French Universities and Academic Institutions.
- Fields of Study: Law, Economy and management, Engineering sciences for master’s level, sciences in the broad sense for doctorate level (mathematics, physics, chemistry and life sciences, nano and biotechnologies, earth sciences, the universe and the environment, information and communication sciences and technologies), The political sciences.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: 12 months for a M2, 24 months for a M1, 36 months for the preparation of an engineering degree and 12 months for the PhD.
- Target group: Open to International Students.
French Government Scholarship Benefits
For Master’s level studies, the Eiffel scholarship includes a monthly allowance of €1,181 (a maintenance allowance of €1,031 and a monthly stipend of €150).
For PhD level studies, the Eiffel scholarship holders receive a monthly allowance of €1,400 until December 31, 2020, and €1,700 as of January 1, 2021. In addition, the scholarship offer following benefits to both master’s and PhD degree students.
- a round-trip international ticket Country of origin – France;
- a train ticket to the first study location; a train ticket from the last study location to the airport for the return to the country of origin;
- reimbursement of up to a maximum of €50 of the trip between the airport or train station and the first study location (taxi or public transport);
- Health insurance by Campus France, for the time needed to register to French Social Security, for students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA);
- Mutual health insurance;
- Cultural activities
Scholarship holders may also receive an additional housing allowance, under certain conditions. Tuition fees are not covered by the Eiffel Program. The French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs expects the educational institutions, whose international influence is enhanced by this program, make sure students receive the best financial support. Students admitted to public educational institutions as French government scholarship holders are exempted from enrollment fees.
French Government Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for the French Government Scholarship, applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Nationality: This program is reserved for candidates of non-French nationality. Candidates with two nationalities, one of which is French, are not eligible.
- Age: For master’s level, candidates must be not older than 25 on the date of the 2021 Campaign, that is, students born after March 1995. At PhD level, candidates must be not older than 30 on the date of the 2021 Campaign, that is, students born after March 1990.
- Origin of applications: only applications submitted by French educational institutions are accepted. These institutions commit to enrolling scholarship holders on the academic program for which they have been selected. Applications submitted by any other means shall not be considered. Furthermore, any candidate nominated by more than one institution shall be disqualified.
- Courses of study: Scholarships are for students wishing to enroll on a master’s course, including at an engineering school, and for PhD students. The Eiffel Program does not apply to French-run master’s courses abroad. It does not apply to training under an apprenticeship contract or a professional training contract either.
- Scholarship incompatibilities: foreign students who, at the time of application, have already been awarded a French government scholarship from another Program, are not eligible, even if the scholarship only covers health insurance.
- For Eiffel Master Scholarship: No application will be accepted for any student who applied previously but was rejected, even if the application is submitted by a different establishment or in another field of study. Students who have already been awarded an Eiffel scholarship at master’s level are not eligible to re-apply at master’s level.
- For Eiffel PhD Scholarship: Establishments may nominate a candidate who was previously awarded an Eiffel scholarship at master’s level for a scholarship at PhD level. Candidates who have already been awarded an Eiffel scholarship once during their PhD cannot be awarded it for a second time. No application will be accepted for any student who applied previously but was rejected, even if the application is submitted by a different establishment or in another field of study.
- Language skills: When preselecting non-French-speaking candidates, establishments must make sure that their language skills meet the requirements of the relevant course of study.
- UK Government Chevening Scholarships for Foreign Students;
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship;
- Government of the Czech Republic Scholarships (Master – PhD);
- Slovak Government Scholarship for International Students;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
Application files directly from students are not accepted. Student will have to contact institutions (where they want to apply) which will present their application. Deadlines may vary per institution. Therefore, applicants are advised to get in touch with them for more details.
Institutions will complete and submit the application files online. They must ensure that they submit files that meet the criteria defined for the program. The scholarship results will be available on the week of March 22, 2021.
The last day to submit applications is . For more details on the French Government Scholarship, please check out the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.