Applications are now opened for the World Bank WANIDA Master and PhD Scholarships. The scholarship aims to enhance collaboration among West African health research institutions funded under the World Bank’s African Centres of Excellence (ACE) Impact project.
In line with its training mandate, the West African Network of Infectious Diseases ACEs (WANIDA) is accepting fellowship applications under the ACE Partner project for regional students enrolled in Master’s and PhD programs at African Centres of Excellence (ACE). Please check full list below.
WANIDA is funded by the Agence Française de Développement (AFD), and the French National Research Institute for Sustainable Development (Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, IRD). The ACE Partner project seeks to create and ensure the influence and sustainability of thematic networks with the aim of positioning them as scientific and academic leaders for development in West Africa.
- Host Institution: African Centres of Excellence (ACE). Full list below.
- Field of Study: Priority diseases areas (Covid-19, HIV, Malaria, Tuberculosis, Ebola, Mycobacterial infections, Neglected tropical diseases, Food borne pathogens).
- Number of awards: Not Specified.
- Duration: Master’s Degree program (2 years), Doctoral Degree program (4 years).
- Target group: Open to African.
World Bank WANIDA Master and PhD Scholarships Benefits
Selected candidates for this scholarship to study in Africa will receive a partial scholarship, which can be applied towards:
- Research costs
African Centres of Excellence (ACE) Partner Institutions
The fellowship is tenable at the following African Centres of Excellence (ACE):
- West African Centre for Cell Biology of Infectious Pathogens (WACCBIP), University of Ghana, Legon, Accra, Ghana
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Mycotoxin and Food Safety (ACEMFS), Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID), Redeemer’s University Nigeria, Ede, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Neglected Tropical Diseases and Forensic Biology (ACENTDFB), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria
- Africa Centre of Excellence for Population Health and Policy (ACEPHAP), Bayero University Kano, Kano, Nigeria
- Centre d’Excellence Africain en Innovations Biotechnologiques pour l’Élimination des Maladies à Transmission Vectorielle (ITECH-MTV), Université Nazi Boni, Burkina Faso
- Centre d’Excellence Africain – Prévention et Contrôle des Maladies Transmissibles (CEA-PCMT) Université Gamal Abdel Nasser, Conakry, Guinea.
World Bank WANIDA Master and PhD Scholarships Eligibility
In order to apply for this Master’s and PhD Scholarships, applicants must meet following criteria.
Be an African national admitted as a regional student (non-national) in a Master’s or PhD program starting the 2020/2021 academic year at one of the WANIDA partner institutions.
Be interested in working on one of the priority disease areas with a supervisor at the WANIDA host institution (optional co-supervisor at a WANIDA partner institution).
Successful fellows will be expected to:
- Conduct high quality research leading to the publication of at least 1 paper (for Master’s fellows) or 2 papers (for PhD fellows) in peer reviewed journals
- Present research at scientific meetings, including the WANIDA conference
- Contribute to the training of undergraduate students (PhD fellows only)
- Graduate with a PhD degree or a Master’s degree conferred by the same University/WANIDA-ACEPartner as in the scholarship application.
- Government of Hungary Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship;
- Bourse Kipaji de l’Université de Twente;
- Bourse D’études du Gouvernement Néerlandais pour étudiants étrangers;
- Bourse de l’École Normale Supérieure de Paris;
- Bourse d’Étude Skoltech en Russie pour étudiants étrangers;
- Bourses de la Fondation Pierre Elliott Trudeau Pour études au Canada.
Interested applicants who would like to apply for this Master’s and PhD scholarships need to send their application documents as a single PDF file with the subject “2020 WANIDA Scholarship_FirstNameLastName” to: [email protected].
- Completed application form
- Summary of research proposal including plans for partnership(s) with other ACE(s), budget and timelines (maximum 2 pages)
- Letter of motivation (maximum 1 page)
- Endorsement from current supervisor and ACE centre leader
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum 2 pages)
- Proof of registration in current academic year or letter of admission
- Official transcript from most recent degree.
The deadline to submit the application is . Incomplete applications and applications received after the deadline shall not be considered. For more detail on the World Bank WANIDA Master and PhD Scholarships, please visit the official page. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.