Application for the 2021-2022 United Nations University PhD Scholarship is now open. The doctoral program in Sustainability Science is a three-year program that aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science. The program takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
This program to study in Asia program will equip graduates with comprehensive, multidisciplinary knowledge of sustainability problems, and deepen their understanding of the role of environmental sustainability in addressing current issues related to global change. The program provides students with unique opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, international conferences, and workshops.
- Host Institution: United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) in Japan.
- Field of Study: PhD Program in Sustainability Science.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: 36 months.
- Target group: Open to nationals of developing countries (countries included in the latest OECD DAC list).
United Nations University PhD Scholarship Benefits
The successful applicants for the United Nations University PhD Scholarship will have following benefits.
- The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months.
- The tuition fees are fully waived for the scholarship recipients.
- However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
United Nations University PhD Scholarship Eligibility
Applicants for the PhD in Sustainability Science are required to have met All the following requirements by the application deadline in order to be considered:
- be from a country included in the latest OECD DAC list
- can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- are currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
- have a strong interest in sustainability studies;
- demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- have completed a Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- have a minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which was acquired after obtaining a university degree OR
- have two completed Master’s degrees, at least one of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies;
- *Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2021 – may also apply.
- A GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
- English language proficiency (taken within the last two years with minimum score of):
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
- Applicants whose native language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English-speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an Undergraduate or postgraduate degree program where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
- UNU-IAS requires original TOEFL/IELTS score reports (no photocopies accepted).
- TOEFL: Please order an official score report using an institution code 6991. For more information on TOEFL, please visit http://www.ets.org/toefl/
- IELTS: Please request that an official report be sent directly to UNU-IAS. For more information on IELTS, please visit http://www.ielts.org/
- Turkish Diyanet Foundation Scholarship;
- GIST Scholarships for Graduate Students to study in South Korea;
- Heinrich Böll Foundation scholarships in Germany;
- Chinese Government Scholarship.
- Doha Institute For Graduate Studies Scholarship;
Interested candidates who would like to apply for this scholarship to study in Japan should click on the apply button below and follow instructions to complete the online application form.
The deadline to submit applications is . For detailed information on the United Nations University PhD Scholarship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.