Applications are now opened for the 2021-2022 Quebec Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE). The Fonds de recherche du Québec – Nature et technologies (FRQNT) is responsible for managing the scholarship program. It was commissioned by the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur du Québec (MEES) which provides the funding.
The Quebec Merit Scholarship Program has a component open to students of all countries and six specific components reserved for students from Brazil, China, India, Israel, Mexico and Wallonia. These specific components arise from agreements concluded between Québec and foreign governments.
The objective of the Quebec Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE) is to support the internationalization of research activities in Québec’s institutions of higher education, to attract the best foreign researchers and students, and to promote abroad Québec universities and College Centres for the Transfer of Technologies (CCTT).
- Host Institutions: Higher Education Institutions in Quebec, Canada.
- Area: Any research area (health, humanities and Social Sciences, arts and letters, Natural Sciences, and engineering etc.).
- Duration: up to 4 years.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Target Group: Open to all nationalities.
Quebec Merit Scholarship Program Benefits
In addition to the scholarship, the Quebec Merit Scholarship offers all scholarship recipients an exemption from paying the higher tuition fees required for foreign students and the medical insurance coverage offered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
Doctoral research scholarships (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W) : $25,000 a year. The duration of the scholarship is three years, with a possible extension of up to 12 months (monthly allowance of $1,000).
Postdoctoral scholarships (V2, 2B, 2C, 2I, 2M) : $35,000 for one year (cannot be renewed).
Short-term research or professional development scholarships (V3, 3B, 3C, 3I, 3IS, 3M, 3W) : $3,000 a month for a period of up to four months.
Quebec Merit Scholarship Program Eligibility
All candidates for the Quebec Merit Scholarship
- Must meet all eligibility conditions at the closing date of the competition (a different closing date has to be confirmed for the students preselected by CSC).
- Must have been preselected by a university or Synchronex (a CCTT).
- For the Québec-China scholarship, must be preselected by the CSC.
- Cannot have already received a Merit Scholarship for Foreign Students from MEES, FRQNT or the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC).
- Can’t be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Cannot have applied for permanent resident status under Canadian immigration law.
Doctoral candidates (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W)
- Must have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) and a study permit issued by the Canadian Consulate valid for the entire duration of their scholarship.
- Candidates are eligible for doctoral merit program scholarships from MEES in the first nine semesters of their doctoral studies. All doctoral semesters, funded or unfunded, completed before the scholarship takes effect, are used in calculating the eligibility period.
- A candidate admitted into a doctoral program from a bachelor’s program and one who fast-tracks into a doctoral program without writing a thesis must apply to the PhD scholarships competition (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W) to obtain the scholarship during the 3rd, 4th, and 5th years of his/her graduate studies (semesters 7th to 15th).
- The maximum duration of the scholarship is three years (nine semesters), with a possible extension of up to 12 months.
Postdoctoral candidates (V2, 2B, 2C, 2I, 2M)
- Must have a work permit issued by the Canadian Consulate for the entire duration of their scholarship.
- Postdoctoral scholarship are intended for researchers who have obtained their degree no more than two years before the deadline of the competition or who submitted their dissertation by January 15th 2022 at the latest, the deadline for the beginning of scholarship use.
- Postdoctoral research must be conducted in an institution other than the one that granted the PhD degree.
- The duration of this scholarship is one year and not renewable.
- A scholarship of lesser duration can be granted if the duration of the research is less than 12 months.
Short-term research or professional development candidates (V3, 3B, 3C, 3I, 3IS, 3M, 3W)
- Must have a temporary resident visa or electronic travel authorization to come to Canada.
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships are intended for technical and university students (option A) or researchers who have completed a doctorate no more than five years before the deadline for the competition (option B).
- The short-term research or professional development must be conducted in an institution other than the one at which the student was enrolled when he or she applied.
- The duration of this scholarship is four months. The scholarship is not renewable. A scholarship of lesser duration can be granted if the duration of the research is less than four months.
- Concordia University Entrance Scholarships to Study in Canada;
- University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship;
- Pierre Borgeat Fund Scholarship to Study at Laval University;
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS);
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
These scholarships to study in canada are intended for foreign students or researchers from all research sectors preselected by a Québec university, Synchronex, the China Scholarship Council (CSC), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico (SRE) or the National Council on Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT) to begin or continue studies or research activities in Québec.
Applicants must apply to nominating bodies who will then nominate them. The FRQNT will then contact all preselected candidates to complete an electronic form to which the required documents will be attached. Documents submitted in a language other than French or English must be accompanied by a translation of the original. The form may be completed in French or English. Candidates who apply in English must provide a French title for their project.
The deadline to submit to FRQNT the preselected candidates by responsible bodies (universities, Synchronex, SRE) is . The deadline to submit application to FRQNT by preselected candidates is and the submission to FRQNT of the preselected candidates by CSC is . For more details on the Quebec Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE), please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.