The general purpose of the OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists is to contribute to the emergence of a new generation of women leaders in science and technology, and to promote their effective participation in the scientific and technological development of their countries.
Candidates can choose between a full-time fellowship (maximum 4 years funding) and a sandwich fellowship, where the candidate must be a registered PhD student in her home country and undertakes part of her studies at a host institute in another developing country.
- Host institutions: Host institutes must be located in a developing country in the South (not the candidate’s home country). A list of recommended institutes is available here. Other institutes, not included in the link above, will also be considered if they demonstrate appropriate resources and expertise.
- Fields of study: Agricultural sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth sciences, Biological systems and organisms, Chemical sciences, Computer science and Information technology, Engineering sciences , Mathematical Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Neurosciences, Physical Sciences, Molecular, cellular and structural biology.
- Number of scholarships: not specified.
- Duration: 4 years maximum.
- Eligible countries: Open to citizens of the following countries:
Asia & the Pacific: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Solomon Islands, Kiribati, Laos (People’s Rep. Of), Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, East Timor, Tuvalu, Vanuatu;
Arab Region: Djibouti, Palestine, Rep. Syrian Arab, Sudan, Yemen;
Latin America & the Caribbean: Bolivia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay.
OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists Benefits
The OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists will provide successful applicants with the following benefits:
- A monthly allowance to cover basic living expenses such as accommodation and meals while in the host country
- A special allowance to attend international conferences during the period of the fellowship
- A return ticket from the home country to the host institute for the agreed research period
- Visa expenses
- Annual medical insurance contribution
- The opportunity to attend regional science communications workshops, on a competitive basis
- Study fees (including tuition and registration fees) in agreement with the chosen host institute which is also expected to contribute
OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists Eligibility
Candidates for the OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists must come from an eligible country and confirm that they intend to return to their home country as soon as possible after completion of the fellowship.
You may also be eligible for the:
- Slovak Government Scholarship for International Students;
- International Academic Scholarship in Switzerland;
- Government of Mauritius Africa Scholarship;
- Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI).
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for the scholarship, must Click on the apply button below and follow instructions to submit their applications.
The deadline to submit applications has been extended to . For more detail on the OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists, please visit the official page.