Applications are opened for the 2021 MEXT Scholarship College of Technology Students Program. The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in Japan as College of Technology Students.
The program is open for candidates enrolled in a course of study or in an advanced course at a college of technology, or who are receiving preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects prior to placement at the college of technology.
Each grantee will be enrolled at a preparatory educational institution designated by MEXT for the first year of the scholarship period. The preparatory course is a one-year intensive course in the Japanese language, Japanese affairs, mathematics, and other subjects necessary for preparation for proceeding to a college of technology.
Applicants willing to apply for an Undergraduate or a Bachelor’s degree programs should click on the following link: MEXT scholarship program for undergraduates studies.
Applicants wishing to apply for a Research, Master’s or PhD degree programs should click on the following link: MEXT scholarship program for graduate studies.
- Host institutions: Colleges of Technology in Japan.
- Fields of study: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Information, Communication and Network Engineering, Materials Engineering, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Maritime Engineering, Other Fields. Please click here for full list of subjects.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: The Scholarship period will last for four years from April 2021 to March 2025, including one-year preparatory education in the Japanese language and other subjects due to be provided upon arrival in Japan. For scholarship grantees majoring in maritime engineering, the scholarship period will be four and a half years, lasting up to September 2025. There is an additional two-years advanced course (Optional)
- Eligible countries: Open to nationals of countries that have diplomatic relation with Japan.
MEXT Scholarship College of Technology Students Program Benefits
Selected candidates for the College of Technology Program will enjoy following benefits:
- Allowance: 117,000 yen per month. A supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 yen or 3,000 yen per month will be added to the monthly scholarship amount for the grantees studying or conducting research in specially designated regions.
- Education fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at colleges of technology and preparatory educational institutions will be paid by MEXT.
- Transportation: MEXT will provide round trip economy-class flight ticket to and from Japan.
MEXT Scholarship College of Technology Students Program Eligibility
To apply for the MEXT (MONBUKAGAKUSHO) College of Technology scholarship program, candidate must satisfy following criteria:
- Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the other country and renounce their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan.
- Age: Applicants, in principle, must have been born on or after April 2, 1996. Exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant could not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country (military service obligation, loss of educational opportunities due to disturbances of war, etc.)
- Academic Background: Applicants must satisfy any one of the following conditions
- Applicants who have completed 11 years of schooling in countries other than Japan. (Applicants who will meet the above condition by March 2020 are eligible.)
- Other than the above ① condition, applicants who are eligible for transfer admission to a third-year course at a college of technology at the time of application.
- Japanese Language: Applicants must be willing to learn Japanese.
- MEXT Scholarships for Specialized Training College Program;
- UCL Denys Holland Scholarship;
- Government of Taiwan Fellowships in Social Sciences and Humanities;
- University of Brunei Darussalam Scholarships for Masters & PhD;
- Australia Awards Scholarships for Development.
To apply for MEXT Scholarship College of Technology Students Program programme, candidates must submit required documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in their country by the designated deadline. Please confirm application period and requirements with the Japanese embassy or consulate.
- Application Form
- Academic transcript(s) for all school years of last school/university attended
- Certificate(s) of graduation of school/university attended (If the applicant has not yet graduated, submit a certificate of prospective graduation from the school/university)
- Recommendation letter from the president/dean or the academic advisor at the current or last university attended
- Medical certificate
- Certificate of enrollment (Only for those currently enrolled in a university)
- Certificate of language proficiency (Only in case the applicant has documents attesting to competency in Japanese or English; submit 2 copies)
Documents must be written in Japanese or English, or translation in either of these languages should be attached. The applicants must submit two application packets: one is a complete set of original documents and the other is a complete set of their copies. Write the document number from ① to ⑦ in the upper right-hand corner of the first page for all the documents.
The deadline to submit applications varies by Japanese diplomatic mission. Make sure to confirm the deadline at the website of Japanese diplomatic mission in the country of your nationality or in some other ways.
Please find here Past Examination Questions (2014, 2015, 2016). For more details on the Japanese government MEXT Scholarship College of Technology Students Program, please visit the official page.