The Application call for the year 2021-2022 Islamic Development Bank Scholarship is now open. The program is a unique opportunity for students, scholars, researchers and doctors to enjoy a fully funded scholarship for studies and research at Undergraduate, Master, PhD and Postdoctoral level in development related fields with a special focus on “Sustainability Science”.
Offered by the Islamic Development Bank, the IsDB scholarship is available to the bank’s member state citizens and certain categories of people to gain proper education. The objective behind this program is to train human resources in specific fields to empower communities to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Presidency 5-Year Plan (P5P). The application process is online and IsDB does not charge any fees at any stage of the scholarship process.
- Host Institution: Top 10 universities in candidate’s country and partner institutions.
- Fields of Study: Sustainable Agriculture, Education, Education for Sustainable Development, Climate Change, Energy, Sustainable Cities, Responsible Growth, Waste Management, Population Growth, Green Chemistry, Biodiversity, Plastic pollution and Micro-plastics, Water and Hygiene, Health, ICT for Development, Innovation & Infrastructure Development, Islamic Economics, Finance and Banking, Development-related Social Sciences.
- Language of instruction: official program language at the candidate’s university.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: the necessary period for the completion of the applicant’s program.
- Target group: Open to Citizens of IsDB member countries (Saudi Arabia, Libya, Iran, Nigeria, United Arab, Qatar, Egypt, Kuwait, Turkey, Pakistan, Algeria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Yemen, Morocco, Sudan, Jordan, Oman, Iraq, Cameroon, Brunei, Niger, Burkina Faso, Gabon, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Mali, Senegal, Guinea, Tunisia, Lebanon, Mauritania, Bahrain, Kyrgyz, Gambia, Maldives, Mozambique, Uganda, Benin, Palestine, Syria, Tajikistan, Sierra Leone, Togo, Uzbekistan, Comoros, Cote D’Ivoire, Afghanistan, Chad, Albania, Suriname, Turkmenistan, Guinea-Bissau, Djibouti, Somalia, Guyana.) and Muslim communities in non-member countries.
Islamic Development Bank Scholarship Benefits
The Islamic Development Bank Scholarship program will provide successful applicants with the following benefits
- Monthly stipend commensurate with the cost of living of the country of study;
- Tuition fees, if any, subject to IsDB’s approval;
- Cost of medical treatment at university/government hospital;
- Economy class return air tickets (once at the time of joining and on completion of study) and installation and equipment allowance for the students selected to study abroad at partnered universities/countries; and
- Thesis preparation Allowance (Master and PhD students).
- Scientific papers’ preparation allowance (PhD and Post doctoral candidates).
Fields of Study for the Islamic Development Bank Scholarship
Candidates may apply to study in one of the following fields of study:
- Food Security
- Resilient Crops
- Postharvest Technologies
- Quality of Teaching,
- Pupil/Teacher Ratio
- High Level Training
- Integration of Sustainability-related issues into national curricula and teaching syllabus documents
- Strategies for Reductions of CO2 Emissions.
- Climate Mitigation
- Carbon Sequestration Methods
- Renewable Energy
- Green Technologies
- Solar Potential
- Hydrogen Fuel Cells
- Biogas and Biodiesel
- Insulation Technologies,
- Urban Planning
- Reduction of Waste
- Serving Communities
- Ethics of Growth
- Carbon Footprint Reduction
- Waste to Energy Technologies
- Urban Sprawl,
- Density and Epidemics
- Alternative Technologies
- Cutting-edge Research
- Limitation of Pollution
- Loss of Biodiversity
- Ecosystem Services
- Mass Extinction
- Plastic Incorporation into the Food Chain
- Biodegradable Plastics
- Recycling Possibilities
- Water Purity and Availability,
- Sanitation and Quality
- Computer Science
- Laser and Fiber Optics
- Build Resilient Infrastructure
- Innovation and Industrial Development
- Technological Infrastructure
- Product Innovation
- Mode & Services of Islamic Banking and Finance
- Sharia Standards for IFIs
- Islamic Insurance & Takaful
- Islamic Capital Market
- Sharia & Operational Aspects of Sukuk
- Islamic Micro-Finance
- Zakat Management
- Awqaf & Zakat Management
- International economics,
- Intellectual Property (IP)
- Political Sciences
- Trade and Commerce etc.
Islamic Development Bank Scholarship Eligibility
The Program is open for candidates with strong desire to engage in social services and community development who meet the following criteria:
- be a citizen of the IsDB member countries.
- Candidates from non-member countries must be Muslims.
- be medically fit and willing to undergo medical tests after selection.
- a research proposal in one of the fields of study of the program stating its scientific and development relevance to the community / country (Only for PhD and Post-doctoral research applicants).
Furthermore, candidates must meet specific requirements of their degree levels as shown below
Undergraduate and Master applicants must:
- have obtained a high school diploma or registered in one of the top 10 public/government universities in his/her own country.
- have a minimum of 70% in his/her high school final GPA (Undergraduate applicants) or in his/her Bachelor studies’ GPA (Master’s degree applicants).
- choose a field of study listed among the approved disciplines of the program.
- provide evidence of language proficiency in university medium of instruction as relevant. The language proficiency must be supported by a document or certificate, e.g., for English, by a recognized language certificate such as TOEFL, IELTS or passed required level test conducted such as by British Council or equivalent system in French or other language).
- provide certified English or French translation of all documents in case if they are initially in other languages.
- not be in receipt of any other scholarship at the time of application and during study.
PhD applicants must have:
- Master’s degree in one of the fields of study of the program.
- minimum (“Very Good”) academic standing;
- Preferably have work and/or research experience.
Post-doctoral research applicants must have:
- PhD degree in one of approved fields of the program.
- minimum (“Very Good”) academic standing.
- not less than two (2) years of experience in the field of research.
- have a record of publications/research in the same field.
- Government of Azerbaijan Scholarship for International Students;
- Donald Wehrung International Student Scholarship to Canada;
- Government of Romania Scholarship;
- Skoltech Scholarship in Russia For Local and International Students.
- Chinese Government Scholarship;
- University of Twente Kipaji Scholarship for Foreign Students;
Eligible candidates who would like to apply for the Islamic Development Bank Scholarship should first make click on the apply button below and follow instruction to fill the form and submit their applications.
Selected scholars (PhD and Post doctoral candidates) must obtain admission/invitation from public universities in their countries listed among the top (10) universities as per the Shanghai and Times Higher Education University ranking. Admission may also be sought at one of the universities having agreement with the IsDB, i.e. Cambridge University, Queen Mary University of London and Oxford in UK, McGill University in Canada, Copenhagen University in Denmark, National University of Uzbekistan and Tashkent University of Information Technology in Uzbekistan and Top universities in Malaysia, Turkey, Tunisia and Morocco. Getting admission does not mean automatic selection and is not a requirement for application. The final decision on the place of study is made by the selection committee.
The deadline to submit your application is . For more details on the Islamic Development Bank Scholarship program, please visit the official website. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.