The Flemish Ministry of Education awards scholarships to outstanding students for Master’s degree programs in Flanders and Brussels. The Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships 2021-2022 for International Students aims to promote Flanders and Brussels as a top study destination.
Applications will be accepted from all Flemish universities, Schools of Arts and the Antwerp Maritime Academy. Applicants from all nationalities are welcome to apply for the Flanders Master Scholarships. Around 30 international students can benefit from the Master Mind Scholarships.
There are a number of scholarships reserved for students from certain countries: Japan (3), Mexico (3), Palestine (2) and USA (5). These countries are priority countries for the Flemish government. If a scholarship is not taken up, it is awarded to the candidate ranked highest by the Flemish selection committee.
- Host Institutions: Flemish universities, Schools of Arts and the Antwerp Maritime Academy in Belgium (full list with deadline are listed below).
- Eligible Program: available programs at host universities.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Candidate’s program duration.
- Target Group: Open for all nationalities.
Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships Benefits
Selected candidates for the Flemish Government scholarships are awarded a maximum scholarship of €8 200 + a tuition fee waiver per academic year.
The Host institution can ask the applicant for a tuition fee that equals the lowest rate of the yearly tuition fee for a student who receives a study grant from the Flemish Government. The rate for the academic year 2021-2022 is €113.20. This rate may increase slightly from year to year.
Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships Eligibility
To apply for the study in Flanders Scholarship, candidates must have a below profile:
- The applicant applies to take up a Master degree program at a higher education institution in Flanders (hereafter ‘Host institution’).
- should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential (The student has a Grade Point Average of 3.5 out of 4.0)
- Have a good knowledge of the English language:
- an overall band score of minimum 7.0 on the IELTS test;
- a minimum total score of 94 on a TOEFL test;
- a C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
- or a similar result in another official language test (recognized by the Host institution).
- Students who apply for a Master program at a School of Arts have at least:
- an overall band score of minimum 6.5 on the IELTS test;
- a minimum total score of 90 on the TOEFL test;
- a B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference;
- or a similar result in another official English language test (recognized by the Host institution).
- The student has to be accepted by the Host institution to be able to receive the scholarship. Even if the Host institution’s decision to accept the student is taken after the selection of the Master Mind Scholarships program, this criterion applies.
- All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education institution located outside Flanders. International students who have been on credit mobility in a hosting Flemish higher education institution are still eligible for a Master Mind Scholarship.
- Students who are already enrolled in a Flemish higher education institution cannot apply. The only exception is made for international students who, at the moment of their application in Master Mind Scholarships / academic year 2021-2022 Spring 2021, are already enrolled in a specific preparatory program in order to start a master program in September 2021.
- Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships;
- Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship;
- Government of Azerbaijan Scholarship for International Students;
- Government of Romania Scholarship;
- Chinese Government Scholarship;
How to Apply for the study in Flanders
Interested applicant who would like to apply for this scholarship to study in Europe must follow steps below:
- The applicant submits his/her application to the Host institution. Internal deadlines set by the Host institution may differ (see Deadline for application at Host institution section below)
- The Host institution accepts the application of the candidate.
- The Host institution starts the application procedure for the Master Mind scholarship by creating the candidate’s application file in the Mobility-Online tool.
- The applicant receives an email generated by the Mobility-Online tool notifying him/her of being preselected for a Master Mind scholarship.
- The applicant registers in the Mobility-Online tool and completes his/her application file in the Mobility-Online tool before the deadline.
- The Host institution validates and submits the completed application file in the Mobility Online tool before the deadline of midnight 30th April 2021 GMT+1. Applications validated submitted after midnight 30th April 2021 GMT+1 will not be accepted.
Documents to Upload
- Passport photo
- International passport or national ID;
- Transcript of records; if written in another language than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be enclosed;
- English language test results or Letter of exemption provided by the Host university;
- Letter of motivation written in English;
- Two letters of recommendation from professors of your (previous) Home university, University of Applied Sciences, School of Arts or recent employer written in English;
- Copy of acquired diploma(s); if written in another language than Dutch, French, German or English, a certified translation must be enclosed;
- Three reasons of motivation for submission (at least 150 words) of the candidate’s application formulated in English by the Host institution.
Deadline for application at Host institution:
- KU Leuven / University of Leuven: 1st February 2021;
- University of Antwerp: 1st March 2021;
- Ghent University: 28 February 2021;
- Hasselt University: 15 March 2021;
- Vrije Universiteit Brussel: 25 February 2021.
University colleges, also know as Universities of Applied Sciences (and Arts):
- AP University of Applied Sciences and Arts:: March 1, 2021;
- Erasmus Brussels University of Applied Sciences and Arts: (to be communicated);
- HOGENT University of Applied Sciences and Arts:: April 30, 2021;
- KdG University of Applied Sciences and Arts:: t.b.c.;
- LUCA School of Arts:: 1st March 2021;
- PXL University of Applied Sciences and Arts:: 1st March 2021;
The Application deadline varies per institution. The furthest deadline is . For more information about the Government of Flanders Master Mind Scholarships, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.