Applications for the ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships 2020 for African students is now open. The programme is provided by the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarships Programme.
The primary objective of the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS) PhD Programme is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in internationally competitive research and development environments within national, regional and international research programmes.
At icipe, ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, attending scientific meetings and international conferences etc.
- Host Institution: The International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe).
- Field of Study: The programme is available for the following projects: LIST OF PROJECTS.
- Number of awards: 6.
- Duration: 3 years.
- Target group: Open to Africans.
ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships Benefits
The RPPIS DAAD scholarship is fully funded and cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships Eligibility
In order to apply for the icipe scholarship, applicants must meet following criteria.
- A citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- Master’s degree, with above average results, taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project (see LIST OF PROJECTS).
- Master’s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Additional specific skills requirements may be required depending on the PhD project(s) selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project (see LIST OF PROJECTS).
- Good working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Completed application form and accompanying supporting documents.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
You may also be eligible for the:
- DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships;
- New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarship;
- Turkish Government Scholarship.
ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships Application instructions
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the Scholarship need to click on the apply button below and follow instructions.
Additionally, once you submit your application to icipe, please send a brief email notification to DAAD stating that you have applied to icipe with the subject “Your Surname_First name_ICIPE” to [email protected]. Do not send your application to DAAD at this time.
Successful candidates will register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after starting the PhD programme at icipe.
The application deadline is January 31st, 2020. For more detail on the ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships, please visit the official page.