Applications for the 2020 DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships is now open. The Scholarship aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), as a publicly funded, self-governing organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Sahara Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Sahara African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Host Institutions: Universities listed below.
- Fields of Study: Fields of Study listed below.
- Number of awards: Not Specified.
- Duration: Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes.
- Target group: Open to Africans.
DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships Benefits
The DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships Program will offer selected candidates the following Benefits:
- Tuition fees
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
- Travel allowance (In-Region scholarship holders only)
- Health Insurance (In-Region scholarship holders only)
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research stay in Germany for 3 up to 6 months. The short-term research scholarship includes:
- a monthly scholarship payment for living costs
- health/accident/personal liability insurance
- a flat-rate travel allowance
DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships Eligibility
In order to apply for the DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships, applicants must meet following criteria.
- must be nationals or permanent resident of a Sub-Sahara African country
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- should generally be
- staff member of a public university,
- candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment,
- from the public sector or
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Countries, Fields of study and Host Institutions
- University of Abomey – Calavi (UAC) Faculty of Agronomic Sciences, Subject field: Mathematics (Master, PhD)
- International Chair in Mathematical Physics and Applications (CIPMA), Subject fields: Natural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- Burkina Faso: International Institute for Water and Environmental Engineering (2iE), Subject field: Engineering (Master, PhD)
- University for Development Studies (UDS), Department of Public Health, Subject field: Medicine – Public Health (Master Phil, Master Sc)
- University of Ghana, Regional Institute for Population Studies (RIPS), Subject field: Humanities / Political Science (Master, PhD)
- West African Center for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana, Subject field: Agricultural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- Nigeria: University of Ibadan, Subject fields: Engineering/Agricultural Science (Master Energy Studies, Master Fisheries Management)
- Addis Ababa University – IPSS, Subject field: Global & Area Studies (PhD)
- Hawassa University – Wondo Genet College of Forestry and Natural Resources (WGCF), Subject field: Agro-Forestry (Master)
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject fields: Information Technology (PhD), Mechanical Engineering (PhD)
- Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), Subject field: Health Management (taught at Strathmore University) (PhD)
- Kenyatta University, Subject fields: Biotechnology (PhD), Environmental Planning (PhD), Renewable Energy (Master)
- Moi University, Subject field: Mathematics (PhD)
- East and South African-German Centre of Excellence for Educational Research Methodologies and Management (CERM-ESA) – Moi University, Subject fields: Education (Master), Sociology of Education (PhD)
- Mount Kenya University, Subject fields: Medical Surgical Nursing (Master), Public Health (Master)
- Strathmore University, Subject fields: Computer Science/IT (PhD), Mathematics (Master, PhD)
- Sudan: Alzaiem Alazhari University, Subject field: Family Medicine (Master)
- Ardhi University, Subject fields: Built Environment Analysis (PhD), Housing and Settlement Studies (PhD), Urban Planning and Management (PhD)
- Tanzanian-German Centre for East African Legal Studies (TGCL), University of Dar es Salaam, Subject field: Law (Master)
- Centre d’Etudes Régional pour l’Amélioration de l’Adaptation à la Sécheresse (CERAAS), Subject field: Agricultural Sciences (Master, PhD)
- African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), Subject field: Agriculture Economics (PhD)
- International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE), Subject field: Insect Science (PhD)
- Malawi: Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR), Subject field: Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (PhD)
- Mauritius: University of Mauritius, open to all development-related subject fields (PhD, Master full-time as well as part-time)
- Namibia: Namibia University of Science and Technology (NUST), Subject fields: Computer Science (Master), Informatics (Master)
- South Africa:
- African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS), Subject field: Mathematical Sciences (PhD)
- African Paediatric Fellowship Programme (APFP), Subject field: Pediatrics, Medicine (Master)
- Centre for Human Rights (CHR), Subject field: Human Rights (Master, PhD)
- Rhodes University, Subject field: Biochemistry and Microbiology/Science (PhD)
- Stellenbosch University (SUN), Subject field: Economic and Management Sciences (PhD)
- University of South Africa (UNISA), Subject field: Nanosciences (Master, PhD)
- University of Pretoria – Agriculture and Environmental Studies, Subject field: Agriculture and Environmental Studies (Master, PhD)
Note: Kindly note that the DAAD scholarships are currently being revised. Therefore, there are lists of institutions with 2019 call or without a link to the application call. The list will be updated as soon as the scholarship provider update them.
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the In-Country / In-Region Scholarships must follow steps below.
Applicants must apply for their studies at chosen University using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution in the call (as shown above). Universities may have their own deadlines.
Universities will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list applicants. DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Pre-selected candidates are provided with the link to the DAAD-Portal. They are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register and submit a DAAD application.
In general following documents are needed:
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the european specimen form), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- 2 recommendation letters by university teachers
- Letter of admission from the host university / institution / network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport
PhD candidates may also have to submit the following additional documents:
- Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and time table (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of proposal)
Application deadlines vary and fall between January – April, 2020 for the DAAD In-Country / In-Region Scholarships. The furthest application deadline till now for a programme is April 15th, 2020. However, Universities may have their own deadlines. Please click on the desired institution name (in the list under “Countries, Fields of study and Host Institutions” section) to download and read the scholarship call for each institution. For more details, please visit the official page.