Applications for the 2020 ANSO Scholarship for International Students is now open. The ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents provides young students/scholars who are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue postgraduate education at the colleges or schools of the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) or institutes of CAS around China. Every year, up to 200 Master’s students and 300 PhD students from all over the world will be sponsored to study in CAS.
The Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO) was created by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and other 36 scientific institutes as well as international organizations worldwide. ANSO main objective through this scholarship is to train and cultivate young scientists from all over the world.
- Host Institution: Colleges or schools of the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) or institutes of CAS around China.
- Field of Study: Available Master’s and PhD programmes at host institutions.
- Number of awards: 500 (up to 200 master scholarship and 300 PhD scholarship).
- Duration: The duration for master is up to 36 months, while for PhD, is up to 48 months.
- Target group: Open to non-Chinese citizens.
ANSO Scholarship for International Students Benefits
The ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents will offer selected candidates the following Benefits:
- a monthly stipend from CAS through USTC/UCAS:
- RMB 3000 for Master’s awardees,
- RMB 6000 for PhD awardees or RMB 7000 depending on whether they have passed the qualification test.
- health insurance as well as;
- tuition and application fee waivers;
- a certain amount of travel subsidy from their home countries to China.
ANSO Scholarship for International Students Eligibility
In order to apply for the ANSO Scholarship for International Students, applicants must meet following criteria.
- Not hold Chinese citizenship;
- Provide proof of proficiency of English or Chinese language;
- Have a maximum of 30 years old on 31 December 2020 for Master’s applicants and 35 years old on 31 December 2020 for PhD applicants;
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of USTC/UCAS;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her scholarship.
Note: Applicants currently pursuing master or doctoral degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for a programme at same level. Applicants CANNOT apply for both UCAS and USTC simultaneously. Applicants can ONLY apply to ONE supervisor from ONE institute/school at either UCAS or USTC.
You may also be eligible for the:
- TWAS-CSIR Postgraduate Fellowship Programme;
- Denmark Katoni scholarship Program;
- Université Paris-Saclay Scholarship for International Students;
- Qatar University Scholarships for National and Foreign Students;
- Japan and World Bank Scholarship for Developing Countries;
- International Academic Scholarship in Switzerland.
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the ANSO Scholarship for International Students, must follow each of the following steps as required and before the specific time.
- Meet eligibility criteria
- Find an eligible host supervisor affiliated with USTC (full list here) or UCAS (full list here). Once you find an eligible professor of your interest, you must contact him/her, send an explanatory e-mail together with your CV, research proposal and any other required documents to him/her, and indicate that you wish to apply for the master/PhD program of the ANSO Scholarship.
- Fill your scholarship application and admission application via the online application systems. Please create an account and fill in the basic information. The system will lead you to the admission application system of USTC/UCAS.
- Remind your supervisor to complete the supervisor’s comment procedure before deadline.
- For USTC applicants, please ask your supervisor to email the scanned copy of the supervisor’s comment page to [email protected].
- For UCAS applicants, please ask your supervisor to visit the UCAS online admission system and finish the required procedure which will be instructed in an email automatically sent to your supervisor by the system immediately after your application materials pass the preliminary review.
ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents Supporting Documents
- Copy of your regular passport which has at least 2 years validity;
- Complete CV with a brief introduction of research experience;
- Original copy of the certificate of university degrees held;
- master program applicants: Bachelor’s degree certificate. Applicants having just completed or about to complete their Bachelor degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating their expected graduation date;
- PhD program applicants: both Bachelor’s and Master’s degree certificates; Applicants having just completed or about to complete their degree should provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date;
- Original copy of transcripts;
- TWO reference letters: You must ask two referees (NOT the host supervisor) to upload their scanned reference letters to the online admission system of USTC/UCAS;
- Detailed research proposal;
- Photocopies of all the title pages and abstracts of maximum 5 published academic papers (if available);
- Proof of knowledge of English and/or Chinese;
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form.
All documents must be in English or Chinese, otherwise notarial translations in English or Chinese are required. If selected, candidates must present the original hard copies of uploaded documents to the scholarship office upon arrival in China.
The deadline for submitting applications has been extended to . For more detail on the ANSO Scholarship for International Students, please visit the official page.