Application are now opened for the 11 Cohort of African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC). The programme is available for Young African professionals, willing to serve as AU Volunteers for a 12 months period.
The program aims to deepen the status of young people as key actors in Africa’s development targets and goals, enhancing their participation in policy development as well as design and implementation of relevant interventions towards the Africa Union’s Agenda 2063, ‘The Africa we want’.
The AU youth volunteer programme will bring people from different places together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens. The volunteering opportunities are intended to build professionalism and a sense of responsibility among the participants, thus enhancing their employability.
- Host institution: African Union.
- Areas of Work: African Union work areas.
- Number of positions: Not specified.
- Duration: 12 months.
- Duty Station: Across AU Member States.
- Target group: Open to national of African countries.
African Union Youth Volunteer Corps Benefits
Full costs of pre-deployment training and deployment be covered for successful candidates. They are entitled to the following:
- Economy return air ticket from hometown to place of deployment;
- A modest monthly stipend;
- Health Insurance cover;
- AU Service Passport;
- Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve (12) Months service.
African Union Youth Volunteer Corps Eligibility
To apply for this AU youth volunteer programme Applicants have to meet the following criteria:
- Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or the Diaspora;
- Aged between 18 – 35 years (must be under the age of 35 when completing 12 months service)
- Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET, Bachelor’s, Master’s etc.)
- Available to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for volunteer work;
- Willing to live and work in another AU Member State;
- Is proficient in at least one AU working language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese);
- Have at least one year verifiable volunteering experience and one year professional work experience.
Furthermore, the programme is looking for motivated young leaders who embody the following qualities:
- Embodies the spirit of Pan-Africanism;
- Committed to Africa’s shared values of an Integration, peace and development;
- Embodies the spirit of service & servant leadership;
- High degree of professionalism;
- Solution oriented & can demonstrate results;
- Able to work and thrive in challenging, multicultural settings including post conflict environments;
- Respectful towards cultural, intellectual, religious and linguistic diversities;
- Strong interpersonal and organizing skills;
- Flexible, independent and self-motivated.
- World Bank Group Young Professionals Program Benefits;
- CERN Junior Fellowship Programme for Graduate Students;
- UNICEF Internship Programme For All Nationalities;
- Internship Program At FAO (The Food And Agriculture Organization);
- United Nations Volunteers Programme For All Nationalities;
- World Youth Alliance Regional and Headquarter Internship Program.
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the African Union Youth Volunteer Corps should follow steps below:
- Click on the apply button below to create an account on the online portal;
- Fill out your personal information and the application form;
- Attach the following documents:
- Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages);
- Bio page of your passport (or national ID);
- Copy of your highest completed qualification (no transcripts);
- Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your leadership qualities.
- Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions:
- Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer?
- What makes you the best candidate for AU-YVC?
- What skills are you bringing to the AU-YVC and your host organization?
- Review and submit your application before the deadline.
The deadline to submit applications has been extended to midnight (Addis Ababa time). For more details on the African Union Youth Volunteer Corps (AU-YVC), please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.