Applicants are invited to apply for the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program in Japan. The objective of the program is to provide undergraduate students from different countries (including some from Japan) who are committed to or who are considering a career in biology or related sciences and looking to continue to graduate studies, with eight weeks of biomedical research experience in the basic and translational sciences.
Research experiences are being provided by faculty members of the Graduate School of Medicine, Graduate School of Engineering, Graduate School of Science, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, and the Institute of Industrial Science.
By the end of their summer experience, students are expected to acquire knowledge and skills for conducting research. The students are also expected to extend their international friendship through the collaborative experiences. These experiences will help the students to develop future collaborations in many situations.
- Host Institution: The university of Tokyo.
- Number of awards: About 15 students.
- Duration: 9 June, 2020 – 3 August, 2020 in Tokyo and 4/5 to 8 August, 2020 in Singapore.
- Target group: Open to all
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program Benefits
The UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program provides Selected candidates with the following benefits.
- ROOM: Near-campus accommodation
- STIPEND: 250,000 JPY. The stipend should be used freely to budget for food and any personal trips during your stay in Japan and so on.
- TRAVEL COSTS:Economy-class airline tickets for flights, or round-trip train tickets for domestic students, will be provided to participate in the program and the Amgen Scholars Asia Symposium to be held in Singapore.
UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program Eligibility
Applicants for the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program must be undergraduate students who satisy following criteria:
- Enrolled in colleges or universities worldwide that award a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent); and
- At the minimum, have completed their first year of undergraduate study at the time the summer program begins, and
- Are not graduating before the summer program begins, and after the summer program ends will resume undergraduate studies for at least 1 semester or 1 quarter
- Have a strong record of academic performance; and
- Have good working knowledge of English, demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 72, IELTS overall band score of 5.5, Cambridge English FCE, TOEIC score of 1095, TOEIC L&R score of 785, or TOEIC S&W score of 310, if not a native English speaker or English is not your first language, and
- Have an interest in pursuing a Ph.D.
Interested applicants who would like to be considered for the CERN Junior Fellowship Programme are required to click on the apply button and follow instructions to apply. Applicants must not forget to upload required documents.
- Portrait photo (Same rules as photos for a passport, 45 x 35mm)
- Scanned copy of Passport or ID card
- Resume/CV and Cover letter
- Academic Transcript
- Questionnaire: Download and complete the designated form. Please save your documents as an Excel file (e.g. .xls/xlsx).
- Proof of your English proficiency. Non-native speakers whose institutions are located in an area where English is not the first language and the medium of education is not English must submit a valid proficiency test score
- Two recommenders for Letters of Recommendation. Instructions for Recommenders
- Privacy Statement and Agreement.
The application deadline is February 3, 2020 at 3:00 pm JST. For more detail on the UTokyo Amgen Scholars Program in Japan and Singapore, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.