Applications are now opened for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Program to study in Canada. The scholarship program is fully funded and aims to help shape researchers into engaged leaders who are conscious of the impact of their research, connected to the realities of their communities, and open to non-conventional forms of knowledge.
The Foundation is looking for audacious, original and avant-garde candidates. The program will last for three years and will also provide generous support for Scholars’ doctoral work in the form of a stipend and a research and travel allowance.
Founded in 2001 as a living memorial to the former prime minister of Canada, the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation is an independent and non-partisan charity. Not only the foundation supports for creative and critical thinking, but also shape their scholars to become leaders with meaningful impact in their institutions and communities.
- Host Institution: Canadian Universities.
- Eligible Program: Your work must be related to one of the following themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, People and their Natural Environment.
- Number of Awards: Up to 20.
- Duration: Three years.
- Eligible Countries: Open to nationals of all countries in the world.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Benefits
Successful applicants for the Trudeau Foundation Scholarship will have the following benefits:
- Membership in a vibrant community of Scholars, Mentors, and Fellows, all of whom are leaders in their respective disciplines and sectors
- Leadership training from our Mentors and Fellows, including unique experiential learning opportunities that enrich and complement their academic experience
- Opportunities to acquire greater proficiency in Canada’s official languages (French and English) as well as Indigenous languages
- Up to $40,000 per year for three years to cover tuition and reasonable living expenses
- Up to $20,000 per year for three years, as a research, networking, and travel allowance. This funding may also be used for activities related to the learning of languages (see below)
- Lifelong membership in the Foundation’s alumni network.
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships, candidates must meet the following conditions:
- You must be already accepted into or in year one, two, or three of a full-time doctoral program in the humanities or social sciences;
- Your doctoral work must relate to at least one of the Foundation’s four central themes: Human Rights and Dignity, Responsible Citizenship, Canada and the World, People and their Natural Environment;
- Canadian citizens are eligible whether they are at a Canadian or an international institution;
- Non-Canadians (permanent residents or foreign nationals) enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian institution are eligible.
The Trudeau Foundation scholars will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Academic excellence;
- Thematic relevance of doctoral research to the Foundation’s central themes;
- Community engagement;
- Leadership experience and abilities;
- Originality and audacity;
- Communication skills and desire to contribute to public dialogue and knowledge dissemination;
- Interest for the scientific theme of the 2020-2023 cycle: Technology and ethics. You do not have to have expertise on this topic, but you must be willing to engage with this theme as part of our leadership training program.
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University Scholarships;
- DGIST Scholarship for Graduate Students to study in South Korea;
- Ashinaga Africa Initiative to Support Orphaned Students;
- Chinese Government Scholarship at HIT;
- DAAD University Summer Courses in Germany for All;
- University of Toronto International Students Scholarship;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship.
Those wishing to apply for the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarships must follow these steps:
- Find out about the deadlines for your university’s internal selection process. Each university sets its own internal deadlines, so make sure you respect them.
- Registration: click on the apply button below and follow instructions. It takes up to 4 business days for registration to be processed. Therefore, applicants must complete this process correctly (incomplete registrations will not be processed) and check spam folder if they do not receive anything in 4 days.
- Fill out the application : Once logged in, apply by completing the application form in the “Ébauche/Draft” section of the Trudeau portal. Fill out contact information in the “Coordonnées/Contacts” section of the portal;
- Upload all required documents in the online system.
- Follow up with references to ensure they submit the completed the online form at latest on at 11:59 p.m EST. Once you have entered the name and email address of your referees in the space provided in the application form, an email will automatically be sent to the referees, asking them to complete a predetermined referral form directly on the Foundation’s application portal.
- Contact your university: Please inform the awards officer responsible for the PETF Scholarship Competition at your university to let them know you’ve applied. This ensures that your application will be included in your university’s selection process.
Same as the reference form submission, the deadline to submit an application directly to the Foundation is at 11:59 p.m EST. Successful applicants will be officially announced in May 2021. For further information on the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Program in Canada, please visit the official page. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.