Applications are opened for the Orange Social Venture Prize in Africa and the Middle East (POESAM). The contest aims to reward the best innovative and socially responsible business projects in Africa and the Middle East.
The Prize is awarded to entrepreneurs or startups created less than three years ago that offer high-tech solutions based on mobiles or the Internet to meet the needs of the populations in Africa and the Middle-East.
To mark its 10th anniversary, Orange will reward even more start-ups, with the launch of the international women’s prize and the special prize.
The international women award rewards either a woman, or a project offering a technological solution to improve the living conditions of women (women’s independence, creating or maintaining jobs, data collection on gender, digital inclusion and financial inclusion …).
The special 10th year prize will reward a project that improves the daily life of “vulnerable” people (disabled or marginalized people or those who are socially and financially disadvantaged, etc.).
- Event: Orange Social Venture Prize (OSVP).
- Number of awards: National awards and 5 Grand-Prix.
- Date: June 10 – August 31, 2020 (National Contests) and September – October 2020 (International Contest).
- Eligible countries: Open to all nationalities.
Orange Social Venture Prize Benefits
The competition is organised in two stages: first a national competition in 17 countries; then an international jury chooses the Grand Prix winners.
Various prizes are awarded locally to national winners. The top 3 projects from each country will automatically be positioned to enter the International Grand Prize competition. The international Grand-Prix awards the following prizes:
- 1st prize: € 25,000 (twenty-five thousand euros);
- 2nd prize: € 15,000 (fifteen thousand euros);
- 3rd prize: € 10,000 (ten thousand euros);
- International women’s prize: € 20,000 (twenty thousand euros);
- special prize: € 10,000 (ten thousand euros – specific to this edition);
- In addition, the Grand Prix winners benefit from personalized support from Orange experts, and high media coverage of their project on the continent and beyond.
Orange Social Venture Prize Eligibility
To apply for the Orange Social Venture programme, candidates must have the following profile:
- Be entrepreneurs over the age of 21 and start-ups operating for less than three years can qualify for the Prize.
- There are no nationality requirements.
- The projects must be implemented in one of the following countries in which Orange operates in Africa and the Middle-East (Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Jordan, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Tunisia).
The jury will consider the social and environmental impact of the projects, their degree of innovation, the possibility of expanding the product or service to several countries and the financial viability and feasibility of the projects submitted.
You may also be eligible for the:
- Coimbra Group Scholarship Sub-Saharan Africa Programme;
- One Planet Fellowship for Africans;
- Skoltech Scholarship in Russia For Local and International Students;
- Slovak Government Scholarship for International Students;
- International Academic Scholarship in Switzerland;
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the prize, must click on the apply button below and follow instructions to apply.
Each participant must submit its project only once by selecting the country of deployment of the project in the online registration form. The 3 winners from each country will automatically be positioned to compete at the international Grand Prix.
The deadline to apply is . For more details the Orange Social Venture Prize in Africa and the Middle East (POESAM), please visit the official page.