Applications for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria are currently being accepted. The scholarship is offered by the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) in partnership with the University of Pretoria to highly achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels.
This scholarship is opened to students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree and are residents or citizens of an African country. MCFSP targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged, young people in Africa who will go back to contribute to the transformation of their countries. Applicants should not already be in possession of a Master’s Degree/ Qualification.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a 10-year, $500 million global initiative to educate and develop next generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic transformation. The Program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and university education, and make successful transitions to further education or careers in their home countries.
- Host institution: University of Pretoria (UP), South Africa.
- Fields of Study: Please check below.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Candidate program duration.
- Eligible countries: Open to residents or citizens of African country (Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo (Brazzaville), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda).
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria Benefits
The University of Pretoria-Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (UP-MCFSP) is uniquely designed to provide selected candidates with the following benefits:
- Comprehensive scholarships (tuition fees, living expenses, books, stipends, transportation);
- Academic support in the chosen programme;
- Mentoring and counseling support;
- Service and experiential learning (volunteerism, internship, social entrepreneurship); and
- Advise on CV writing and interview skills to apply for jobs in the scholar’s countries.
Mastercard Foundation offers a full scholarship to students who have applied for and been admitted to one of the following Postgraduate Study Programmes at the University of Pretoria:
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities for entry into the BPolSci (Political Studies or International Studies only)
- Honours and Master’s degree applications will be accepted in the fields of Engineering (continuing students only). There are no PhD scholarships.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria Eligibility
In order to apply for this scholarship to study in Africa, you MUST have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents as outlined in the application form.
- Candidates should be citizens from Africa.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness;
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc;
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Friedrich Ebert Foundation Scholarship for International Students;
- KAUST Scholarship for Master and PhD Students;
- Koç University in Turkey Scholarships for Master and PhD.
How to Apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship
Interested applicants who would like to apply for this foundation scholarship must first have applied and have been accepted for one of the eligible programs (please check the list above). Application to study at UP closes on August 30 of the year proceeding the year of study. Students who are interested in studies at the University of Pretoria and wish to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program must follow the steps below:
- Apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form. For more information, dial +27 (0)12 420 4297/6621 or send an email to: [email protected] for undergraduates and postgraduates enquiries.
- After your application has been submitted, it will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty. The faculty will inform you whether you have been admitted.
- Once you have been admitted, please contact [email protected] to commence the process to apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program immediately. Please click here to download the form.
- Successful Mastercard Foundation Scholars should have a passport to enable them to apply for a visa promptly.
Only students in full-time programs are eligible for this scholarship. You will need your student number to complete this application form. Students registering for an Honours program must plan to continue into a related Master’s degree.
Documents listed below (in English only) are required to process your application:
- Proof of your provisional admission or application for admission letter from the University of Pretoria;
- Proof of gross income (pay slip(s)/pension advice(s)/financial statements/allowances, maintenance, not older than 3 months for biological/adoptive parent(s)/legal guardian/spouse/applicant’s source of income;
- If no proof of income or if unemployed, the source of income/maintenance/allowance must be provided per individual by means of an affidavit. House Executive/housewives must confirm any source of income by means of an affidavit;
- If biological/adoptive parent is single or never married, an affidavit confirming marital status and maintenance – also if not receiving any financial assistance;
- If biological/adoptive parent(s) are deceased – death certificate(s);
- If biological/adoptive parent(s) are divorced, the decree of divorce and affidavit confirming maintenance (also if not receiving any financial assistance);
- If the legal guardian is appointed by a court, the court order must be provided or an affidavit supporting this. The guardian must declare a monthly allowance to the applicant by means of an affidavit;
- Certified copy of ID/Passport;
- IDs/passport for biological/adoptive parent(s)/legal guardian/spouse;
- IDs/passport and birth certificate for both applicant and siblings;
- Proof of enrollment of all siblings at a tertiary institution(s).
The last day to submit application for this scholarship is . For more details on the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.