Applications for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria are currently being accepted. The scholarship is offered by the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) in partnership with the University of Pretoria to high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels (Master, and PhD), commencing in January 2021.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program.
The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
- Host institution: University of Pretoria (UP), South Africa.
- Fields of Study: Accounting Sciences, Financial Sciences, Economics, Informatics, Agribusiness Management, Food Science and Technology, Agricultural Economics / Business Management, Animal Science, Plant Pathology, Applied Plant and Soil Sciences, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Humanities for entry into the Honours or Masters (Political Studies or International Studies only).
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Candidate programme duration.
- Eligible countries: Open to citizens of African countries outside the SADC region (Algeria, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo (Brazzaville), Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda).
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria Benefits
Selected candidates for the MasterCard Scholarship will enjoy following benefits:
- Full tuition fees;
- Accommodation and meals in a UP residence or UP-accredited accommodation;
- A modest monthly stipend;
- Textbooks and printed material;
- Medical aid cover for the duration of the study;
- VISA costs;
- Reasonable travel costs (including flight ticket) to and from your home;
- Leadership development opportunities;
- Academic advising and counselling support.
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria Eligibility
In order to apply for the MasterCard Scholarship, you must:
- have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents as outlined in the application form;
- be sure to include documents that support what your family, guardian or foster parents can afford to pay. Examples of such documentation include bank statements, pay slips and loan documents;
- only students admitted to full-time study at UP will be considered for the scholarship;
- only prospective students who cannot afford to pay the full fees are eligible to apply. Do not apply for funding if you or your parents, guardian or foster parents can afford the full tuition fees.
All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of information on the application form may result in disqualification from consideration for a scholarship.
You may also be eligible for the:
- MEXT Scholarship College of Technology Students Program;
- MEXT Scholarships for Specialized Training College Program;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarship for Undergraduate;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research);
- Thailand Government Scholarship for International Students;
- Koç University in Turkey Scholarships for Master and PhD;
- Zhejiang Normal University MPA Scholarship.
Interested applicants who would like to apply for this Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, must follow steps below:
You may apply online by clicking on the apply button below. To use the online Application system, you will need Internet access and an email address that you can access regularly. As soon as you submit your online application, a student number (EMPLID) will be sent to this email address as confirmation of receipt.
Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form to the following address:
University of Pretoria
Student Service Centre
The application will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty and you will be informed of the outcome. Postgraduate applicants are required to have their certificate verified by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
The last day to submit application for the 2021 intake is . For more details on the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship at the University of Pretoria for Undergraduate, Master and PhD, please visit the official page.