Application are now invited to apply for the CAORC Multi-Country Research Fellowship Programme. The Fellowship supports advanced regional or trans-regional research in the humanities, social sciences, or allied natural sciences for U.S. doctoral candidates, and postdoctoral scholars. Preference will be given to candidates examining comparative and/or cross-regional research.
Applicants are eligible to apply as individuals or in teams. Scholars must carry out research in two or more countries outside the U.S., at least one of which hosts a participating American overseas research center.
CAORC abides by all U.S. Department of State travel restrictions. Therefore, applicants are advised to visit the
DOS Travel Advisories Page for more details. Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, fellowship travel will resume when travel restrictions are lifted. Please list a tentative travel plan and dates in your application. CAORC will continue to monitor the situation and will work with fellows to confirm travel plans when the fellowships are awarded in April 2021.
- Host Institutions: Scholars must carry out research in two or more countries outside the United States, at least one of which hosts a participating American overseas research center.
- Fields of Research: Humanities, social sciences, or allied natural sciences.
- Number of places: Approximately 8 awards of up to $11,000 each will be given (funding is provided by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs).
- Duration: The award is for a minimum of 90 days and Fellows may travel and carry out research between the period of May 2021 and November 2021. (The 90-day travel minimum can be split into multiple trips and does not need to be consecutive).
- Target group: Open to U.S. citizens.
CAORC Multi-Country Research Fellowship Benefits
Selected fellows for the CAORC Multi-Country Research Fellowship will receive an award of up to $11,500.
CAORC Multi-Country Research Fellowship Eligibility
Application for the Fellowship is open for candidates, who meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Funding is not available for research conducted in the U.S.
- Group projects are admissible and will be evaluated as a single application. Groups should submit one (1) application for the group project and Curriculum Vitae for each member of the group. Two (2) letters of recommendation are required for the group. If awarded, a single grant of $11,000 will be issued to the group.
- It is not required that you be affiliated with a U.S. academic institution to apply. As long as you are a PhD candidate at an accredited university, or have already earned your PhD, you are eligible for the fellowships.
- PhD candidates must be ABD (all but dissertation) by May 2021.
- If you have held a Multi-Country Fellowship in the past, you must wait 3 years before you are eligible to apply again.
- Minority scholars and scholars from Minority Serving Institutions are strongly encouraged to apply.
- DAAD University Summer Courses in Germany for All;
- University of Toronto International Students Scholarship;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship;
- Université de Montréal International Student Scholarship;
- Brazilian Government Scholarship Programme for Developing Countries;
- Government of the Czech Republic Scholarships (Master – PhD);
- Emile-Boutmy Scholarship at Sciences Po for international students.
Interested applicants who would like to apply for the CAORC Multi-Country Research Fellowship must submit their application, using the apply button below. You must sign up for an account to access the application materials. This will allow you to save and return to your application before submitting.
- Project Description: In 1500 words or less, please describe the nature of your proposed project and your competence to carry out the required research.
- Project Bibliography/Literature Review: You must submit a one-page bibliography or literature review outlining your project resources.
- Letters of Recommendation: You must have two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Curriculum Vitae: Three (3) pages maximum.
- Transcripts: PhD candidates only. Please submit transcripts from your most recent institution.
Applicants are advised to submit applications well before the deadline in case applicants have questions for the CAORC main office. If you have questions, please email [email protected].
The application deadline is at 5:00pm EST January 23, 2021. Applicants are advised to submit applications well before the deadline in case applicants have questions for the CAORC main office. For more detail on the CAORC Multi-Country Research Fellowship, please visit the official page. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.