Applications are now opened for the Belgium Government Scholarship for masters and training courses. The program offers to candidates, a chance to pursue a one-year specialized Master’s degree program or a 4-to-6-month advanced training course within a higher education institution of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, Belgium.
The program is opened for nationals of developing countries with professional experience looking to further develop their skills in a development-related topic. Application for the program is totally free and ARES (L’Académie de Recherche et d’Enseignement supérieur) does not charge fees at any stage of the application or selection process.
Belgium is one of the best destination for studies in the world. The Country has three official languages (Dutch, French and German) and its capital Brussels is home to both the European Parliamen and NATO. This allows students to have many working opportunities within these organizations or other affiliate organizations. Tuition fees are believed to be low compared to other EU countries.
Belgium Government Scholarship Details
- Host Institutions: Higher education institution of the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, Belgium.
- Specialized Master’s Programs: Please check list below.
- Number of awards: an average of 150 scholarships as part of the master’s program, and 70 grants for training courses.
- Duration: one-year specialized master’s degree program or a 4-to-6-month advanced training course.
- Target group: Open to citizens of the following countries: Benin, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cuba, Ecuador, Ethiopia (only for training courses in English), Haiti, Madagascar, Morocco, Niger, Peru, the Philippines, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, and Vietnam.
Belgium Government Scholarship Benefits
The Belgium Government Scholarship covers the following costs for selected candidates:
For a master’s scholarship recipients:
- International travel costs: Economy-class travel on an IATA-approved airline, with a maximum of one round-trip ticket per academic year.
- Living allowance: €1150/month for a duration of 12 months.
- Indirect mission fees: €150. This amount is given once per stay, upon arrival of the grantee.
- Arrival allowance, tuition and return fees: €700. This amount is given once per stay, upon arrival of the grantee.
- Registration fees: At the current rate for DGD grantees.
- Insurance fees: Directly paid by ARES.
- Travel costs that are part of inter-university training: Reimbursed based on real costs incurred, with receipts provided.
For a training course grant:
- International travel costs: Economy-class travel on an IATA-approved airline, one round-trip ticket.
- Living allowance:
- €83/day for stays lasting 8 to 17 days;
- €1400/month for stays lasting 18 days to 1 month (set amount);
- €1400/month for stays lasting 1 to 6 months, prorated to the number of days.
- Indirect mission fees: €150 (This amount is given once per stay, upon arrival of the grantee).
- Insurance fees: Directly paid by ARES.
- Travel expenses in the framework of inter university training: Reimbursed based on the real incurred, with receipts provided.
The Belgium Government Scholarship 2021 Eligible Programs
Below is the list of master’s programs and training courses financed by ARES.
Specialized master’s programs for 2021-2022
- Master de spécialisation en développement, environnement et sociétés
- Master de spécialisation en droits de l'homme
- Master de spécialisation en gestion des ressources aquatiques et aquaculture
- Master de spécialisation en gestion des risques et des catastrophes
- Master de spécialisation en gestion intégrée des risques sanitaires dans les pays du Sud (GIRISS)
- Specialized Master in International and development Economics
- Master de spécialisation en médecine transfusionnelle
- Specialized Master in Microfinance
- Master de spécialisation en production intégrée et préservation des ressources naturelles en milieu urbain et péri-urbain
- Specialized Master in Public Health Methodology
- Master de spécialisation en sciences de la santé publique – méthodes de recherche appliquées à la santé globale
- Master de spécialisation en sciences et gestion de l'environnement dans les pays en développement
- Master de spécialisation en transport et logistique.
Training courses for 2021
- Stage en contrôle et assurance qualité des médicaments et produits de santé
- Stage en système d'information géographique
- Stage méthodologique en appui à l'innovation en agriculture familiale
- Stage d'initiation à la recherche pour le renforcement des systèmes de santé.
Belgium Government Scholarship Eligibility
To qualify for the Belgium Government Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a citizen of a developing country. To be eligible, applicants must be residing and working in their country of origin when they apply;
- Only nationals of the following countries may apply for grants from ARES: Benin, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cuba, Ecuador, Ethiopia (only for training courses in English), Haiti, Madagascar, Morocco, Niger, Peru, the Philippines, the DR Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, and Vietnam;
- Be under the age of 40 for degree programs, and under 45 for training courses, at the time the training is scheduled to begin;
- Have earned a diploma comparable to a graduate-level diploma from Belgian university studies. Nevertheless, for certain training courses, different requirements may be requested;
- Possess relevant professional experience in a developing country of at least two years after graduate studies, or of three years after their studies if the applicant has earned a post-grad degree from a university in an industrialized country;
- Have good mastery of written and spoken French. For training courses held in another language, it is essential to have a proper level in the course’s language, both written and spoken.
- Apply for only one training course.
Applicants should not obtain prior admission to one of the Francophone universities in Belgium in order to be considered for ARES grants.
- French Government Scholarship;
- UK Government Chevening Scholarships for Foreign Students;
- Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme;
- Turkish Government Research Scholarship;
- Government of the Czech Republic Scholarships (Master – PhD);
- Slovak Government Scholarship for International Students;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
To apply for this scholarship to study in Belgium, applicants must click on the apply button below to access the online application platform (GIRAF).
Note : if you click several times on the button “Start an application for masters and training programs” in GIRAF after the creation of your account, you will open several forms. If this happens, always use only one of these forms and be sure to respect the requested identifier. Forms that are not submitted and without identifier will be deleted.
Application files will not be considered if they (are):
- sent in by post, e-mail or fax;
- submitted outside the application period (indicated on this website within the section describing how to submit an application);
- are not completed in the language in which the training course is given;
- do not include items that are required attachments (certified copy of diploma, etc.);
- do not follow one of the admissibility criteria that are clearly stated on the form (certified copy of diploma, age, professional experience, etc.).
The deadline to submit applications is . For more detail on the Belgium Government Scholarship , please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.