The objective of the United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship Programmes is to provide opportunities for advanced education and research in the field of ocean affairs and the law of the sea, and related disciplines including marine science in support of management frameworks, to Government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing States, so that they may obtain the necessary knowledge to assist their countries to formulate comprehensive ocean policy and to implement the legal regime set out in UNCLOS and related instruments.
- Area: Marine sciences and the ocean science-policy linkage.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Target groupe: Open to nationals of developing coastal countries.
- Duration: 1st phase of 3 months at United Nations Head Quarters in New York (normally April through June) and 2nd phase of 6 months at the host institution (normally July through December).
- Fellows will be provided with a return air-ticket in economy class for travels from their home country to the first host institution, from the first host institution to the second, and from the second host institution back to their home country.
- Fellows will receive a stipend during their 9-month fellowship in accordance with the established United Nations rates for each host Country. These rates are updated regularly and available here.
- During the first phase of the Fellowship placement, Fellows will be provided with a Book Allowance of US$100 per month.
To apply for the United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship Programme:
- You must be between the ages of 25 and 40;
- You must have successfully completed a first university degree, and demonstrate a capacity to undertake independent advanced academic research and study;
- You must be a mid-level professional from a national government organ of a developing coastal State, or another governmental or non-governmental agency in such a State, which deals directly with ocean affairs issues;
- Your proposed research and study programme must contribute directly to your nation’s formulation and/or implementation of ocean affairs and law of the sea policies and programmes; and
- Candidates must be free of all non-Fellowship obligations during this entire period unless otherwise authorized by the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs, United Nations.
- Women candidates are strongly invited to apply, with a view to achieve gender balance in the selection process.
To apply for the United Nations Nippon Foundation Fellowship Programme, candidate must complete the Personal History and Proposed Research/Study Programme Form and forward it to Nominating Authority along with the Nomination and “Recommendation Form.Candidates should indicate their linguistic preference (English, French or Spanish) in their application form. For more detail, please visit the official page.