Applicants are invited to apply to the 2020-2021 UN fellowship for people of African descent. This UN Fellowship programme aims to strengthen participants’ skills to contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of people of African descent in their respective countries.
The UN fellowship for people of African descent is a three-week intensive learning opportunity for people of African descent from the diaspora, who are engaged in promoting the rights of people of African descent.
At the end of training, participants will be equipped with necessary tools to enhance the development of legislation, policies and programmes; to strengthen collaboration of civil society with governments; and to undertake local awareness-raising activities.
- Host Institutions: Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Area: Human Rights.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration : Three weeks.
- Target Group: The fellowship is available for people of African descent from the diaspora.
UN Fellowship for People of African Descent Benefits
Selected candidates for the fellowship will have following benefits:
- a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva;
- basic health insurance;
- a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
UN Fellowship for People of African Descent Eligibility
To apply for the UN Fellowship, candidates must have following profile:
- be an individual of African descent living in the Diaspora.
- have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of People of African Descent.
- the programme is bilingual in English and French. The candidate needs to have sufficient command of one of the two languages to be able to participate fully in the programme.
- candidate has to submit a letter from an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights certifying their status.
- candidates must be available to attend the full duration of the programme. The selected fellows will be expected to participate in different activities and to strictly follow the programme.
You may also be eligible for the:
- Canada-CARICOM Scholarship for International Students;
- Canada’s Emerging Leaders in the Americas Scholarship;
- Japan and World Bank Scholarship for Developing Countries;
- OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists;
- University of Jinan Scholarship for International Students;
- International Academic Scholarship in Switzerland.
Eligible applicants willing to apply for this opportunity are required to submit Application documents in one single e-mail to [email protected].
- Curriculum Vitae
- completed, signed and scanned Application Form in one single document.
- Personal Statement (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use the knowledge gained from the fellowship to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- Official Letter from the nominating organization or community certifying the status
- copy of the applicant’s passport.
Note: submissions with more than five attachments will not be accepted. Please mention in the subject header of your e-mail: “Application for the 2020 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent.”
Name the attached document as follows:
- LAST NAME First name – Type of document
- Example: SMITH Jacqueline – Application form.doc
- SMITH Jacqueline – A Personal Statement.doc
- SMITH Jacqueline – Letter certifying Status.pdf
- SMITH Jacqueline – Passport.pdf
The deadline to submit application is . For more detail on the UN Fellowship for People of African Descent, please visit the official page.