Applications for the Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship are currently being accepted. Created by the Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) of the People’s Republic of China, the program aims to sponsor young and the middle-aged talents from recipient countries to pursue their postgraduate degree education in China.
The MOFCOM Scholarship wish to further strengthen the communication and cooperation between China and other countries as well as to develop talents for developing countries.
- Host Institutions: Peking University, Tsinghua University, Renmin University of China, Beijing Normal University, Beijing Jiaotong University, University of International Business and Economics, Beihang University, Nankai University, Tianjin University, Jilin University, Fudan University, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Tongji University, East China Normal University, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, Nanjing University, Zhejiang University, Xiamen University, Shandong University, Wuhan University, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan University of Technology, Sun Yat-sen University, Southwest Jiaotong University, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Harbin Institute of Technology, Zhejiang Normal University.
- Field of Study: International Relations, Public Administration, Engineering Management, Management Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Journalism and Communication, Chinese Economy, Science in Finance, Chinese Law, Educational Leadership, Advanced Learning Technology, Contemporary China, Ecological Environment Protection and Management, World Economy and China, Chinese Philosophy, Logistics Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Technology, Electrical Engineering, International Trade and more.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Duration: MOFCOM Scholarship supports Master’s program for 2-3 years or PhD program for 3 years.
- Eligible countries: Open to all Nationalities (non-chinese citizens).
Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship Benefits
Winners of the MOFCOM scholarship will have following benefits:
- Students are exempt from tuition fee, teaching material fee, research and survey fee, allowance of English-taught program, dissertation guidance fee;
- Free on-campus accommodation;
- Monthly stipend:
- One-off resettlement fee: 3000 RMB per person;
- Free medical insurance for international students;
- One-time round-trip international airfare for all the students (First time fly to China after enrollment, and Fly back to home country while graduation), and a maximum of “n-1” (“n” is for the length of schooling year which is set while the student was enrolled by the program, “n” is less than or equal to three) round-trip international airfares for home visits (one time per year set at the end of an academic year);
- The annual review is compulsory for all students. Those who pass the review may continue to enjoy full Scholarships in the next year.
- Other expenses shall be managed and used by the Ministry of Commerce or the universities as a whole, and shall not be distributed to students. The Ministry of Commerce only provides students with financial assistance within their enrolled academic duration. Students who postpone their graduation will not receive the continuing sponsorship.
Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for the MOFCOM scholarship programme, applicants must be:
- a citizen of a developing country other than the People’s Republic of China, and under the age of 45 (born after September 1, 1975);
- healthy physically and mentally with a physical examination report issued by a local public hospital, and not having any disease or situation listed below:
- Diseases prohibited by Chinese Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Laws and Regulations;
- Other severe chronic diseases like high blood pressure, cardio-cerebrovascular disease, diabetes; psychological diseases; or other infectious diseases which may harm public health ;
- In recovery period after major surgery or acute disease attacks;
- Severe physically challenged;
- with at least three years working experience;
- a bachelor’s degree holder when applying for master’s program or a master’s degree holder when applying for doctoral program;
- incumbents with a relevant educational background or working experience to the applied program are preferred;
- public officials of division level and above (or corresponding level) in government sectors, or senior management staff of organizations and enterprises, or academic backbones of universities and research institutions;
- sufficient in English which meets the academic requirements of the program (equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 80 and above level);
- with the potential of professional development, and is committed to promoting the friendly exchanges and cooperation between the host country and China;
- neither studying in China nor being admitted to other scholarship programs provided by Chinese government.
- UCL Denys Holland Scholarship;
- Government of Taiwan Fellowships in Social Sciences and Humanities;
- University of Brunei Darussalam Scholarships for Masters & PhD;
- Central South University Scholarship for International Students;
- Australia Awards Scholarships for Development;
- SUSTech Integrated Master-PhD and PhD Scholarships.
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for the MOFCOM Scholarship should follow steps below:
- Click on the apply button below;
- Read “Tips for online application ” carefully before clicking “NEXT” to the registration page.
- Log in with your user name and password. For new user, please click “Create an account” for registration.
- Fill in the correct Program Category and Agency Number. The Program Category is: Type A and the Agency Number is: 00010. Once the correct ‘Agency Number’ is entered, the name of the agency will automatically emerge.
- Fill in the online application form and upload Supporting Documents.
- Check each part of your application carefully before submitting it. Click Submit to submit your Application.
- You can make changes to your application by clicking Withdraw and Edit the Application on the top of the page and resubmit it again
- Download the completed application form by clicking Print the Application Form and print two hard copies.
- Prepare other supporting documents as required and send the full package of application documents (both hard copies and scan copies) to the Economic and Commercial Counselor’s Office (ECCO) of the Chinese Embassy.
The application deadline for the Chinese Government’s MOFCOM Scholarship is . For more details please refer to the CSC Scholarship Application Tips and Tricks and visit the official page.