Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the research Fellowship Program in 1980. The 2021 Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship Program is open for applicants from all part of the world for research stay (3 to 6 months) in Japan.
- Host Institutions: Applicants are free to select host institutions (universities, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities in private sector) in which to carry out their research. However, applicants are reminded that they are obliged to obtain acceptance from such host institutions prior to submitting their applications.
- Fields of Study: Fields of research such as natural science, engineering and medicine are considered with first priorities.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Around 20.
- Target Group: Open for all nationalities (Except Japanese).
Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship Benefits
Selected candidates for the Matsumae Fellowship to conduct research in Japan will have the following benefits:
- Allowance for research and stay (¥220,000/month)
- Air transportation ( a round-trip air ticket to/from Tokyo)
- Start-up Fund upon arrival (¥120,000)
Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship Eligibility
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all the following eligibility requirements are invited to apply for the Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship. Applicants must:
- obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
- hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
- be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted.
- have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
- should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
- should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
You may also be eligible for the:
- PASET RSIF Scholarships for PhD Students;
- Harvard University Online Courses For All;
- Study a Master’s Degree in Europe Scholarship;
- TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowships Programme;
- Bilkent UNAM Scholarship in Turkey.
Eligible applicants who would like to apply for the researsh opportunity in Japan must follow steps below:
- Fill the Application Form (in PDF-format or MS Word file).
- Add all required documents to the application form and submit them all together in one package by postal mail
- Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country.
- Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will not be processed.
- Send your application to this address:
The Matsumae International Foundation
4-14-46, Kamiogi, Suginami-ku, Tokyo, 167-0043 JAPAN Tel : + 81-3-3301-7600
- Application Form;
- The Research Project;
- A reprint of the most significant publication by the applicant. Please select one and only one publication;
- Personal History (Curriculum Vitae);
- A letter of recommendation by the applicant’s employer;
- Certified copies for all the academic certificates/diplomas (for Ph.D., MA/MS/MD, BA/BS);
- A letter of invitation signed by the professor/scholar-in-charge at the host institution.
Applications must be received by MIF at latest (Japan Standard Time). For more information about the Matsumae MIF Research Fellowship, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.