Would you like to meet other youth leaders from all parts of the world and share your ideas about how to promote democracy in your community? Here is your chance to apply for the Hurford Youth Fellowship program. The Hurford Program seeks to build leadership skills, enhance organizational talents, and harness the potential of emerging democracy leaders worldwide. Through the Hurford program, four youth activists per year spend three months in the program, during which they expand their global network, learn lessons from activists from democracy movements around the world, and contribute to the development of the World Movement for Democracy.
Fellows will be expected to organize online discussions to generate active engagement among youth activists around the world. Hurford Youth Fellows will engage in strategic meetings; conduct research; and organize and lead presentations, and information-sharing sessions on specific democracy themes (Defending Democratic Space, Promoting Inclusive Governance, Strengthening Democratic Leadership). The program is fully funded and provide necessary coverage.
Established in 1983, the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) is a private, nonprofit organization that aims to strengthen democratic institutions around the world through nongovernmental efforts. The World Movement for Democracy, launched in 1999, is a global network of democrats who have come together to cooperate in the promotion of democracy. The Hurford Foundation was established to honor the late John B. Hurford, an internationalist and philanthropist who played an important role in helping to conceptualize and realize the World Movement for Democracy.
- Host institution: NED Democracy Resource Center in the United States of America.
- Number of awards: Not specified.
- Date: 3 Months (March 1 to May 31, 2023).
- Eligible countries: The Hurford youth fellowship program is open to applicants from any country.
Also Check : Université Sorbonne Paris Nord Scholarships
Hurford Youth Fellows Program Benefits
Selected candidates for this foundation fellowship will have the following benefits:
- a monthly stipend for living expenses. Stipends take into account the cost of living in Washington, D.C.,
- basic health insurance and,
- roundtrip travel to and from Washington, D.C.,
- Fellows are provided with a fully equipped office, including internet and email access, and a limited budget for fellowship-related long-distance phone calls.
- will receive assistance in the realization of their fellowship objectives.
- have access to a library with some 20,000 works, including books, journals, grantee reports, and other publications on democracy.
- Fellows may also enjoy access to other local libraries as needed.
Hurford Youth Fellows Program Eligibility
This fellowship program is intended for young people who meet the following criteria.
- Not be older than 30 years of age.
- Demonstrate strong interest in democratic activism and in the advancement of democracy in their respective communities, as well as worldwide.
- Youth affiliated with civil society organizations are especially encouraged to apply.
- English Language Requirement: A working knowledge of English is an important prerequisite for participation in the program for general communication purposes.
Fellows will be selected by the World Movement Secretariat staff, NED regional program staff, and the Hurford Youth Fellowship Alumni Network following an application process. Selection will be based on a set of criteria including demonstrated activism or interest in advancing democracy, a desire to network with others, and a clear explanation of how the fellowship will benefit their efforts to advance democracy.
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships.
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research);
- Schwarzman Scholars program at Tsinghua University.
How to Apply for the Hurford Youth Fellows Program ?
Interested applicants in this North America fellowship program should click on the “apply” button below to create an account and follow instructions to submit their applications. If you applied last year, you must create a new profile using a new email address.
Applicants will be asked to submit the following elements :
- Applicant Form;
- Two Letters of Recommendation.
All application materials should be uploaded in the online application portal. Furthermore, all application materials must be submitted in English. The International Forum for Democratic Studies assists fellows with the documentation needed to obtain visas.
Note : The program does not provide scholarship funds or any other type of financial aid to university or graduate students, nor is it designed to support postdoctoral research. The program is not an educational program offering academic courses leading toward a degree. In addition, it does not provide financial support to those seeking to complete professional training programs, attend conferences, or pursue internships at other organizations.
The application deadline is . For more details on the Hurford youth fellowship program, please visit the official website. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.