The Harvard University Academy Scholars Program identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their careers whose work combines disciplinary excellence in the social sciences with a command of the language and history or culture of countries or regions outside the United States or Canada. Their scholarship may elucidate domestic, comparative, or transnational issues, past or present.
The Academy Scholars are a select community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, curiosity, and originality, whose work in cultures or regions outside the US or Canada shows promise as a foundation for exceptional careers in major universities or international institutions. Each year, four to six Academy Scholars are named for two-year appointments. Academy Scholars are expected to reside in the Cambridge/Boston area for the duration of their appointments unless traveling for pre-approved research purposes.
- Host institution: Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, United States of America.
- Areas: Social sciences.
- Number of awards: Five to six.
- Target group: Open to all Nationalities.
Harvard University Academy Scholars Program Benefits
Each year, five or six Academy Scholars are named for two-year appointments with an annual stipend of $75,000, with the two years to be completed within a three-year window. Year 1 of the fellowship must be taken up no later than the fall immediately following the postdoctoral fellowship offer. Delays or deferrals at the start of Year 1 are not permitted. Between Years 1 and 2, Academy Scholars may apply for a one-time leave (up to 12 months), either to accept or to continue with a tenure-track teaching appointment but for no other reason. Academy Scholars may not accept other sources of funding, awards, or obligations during their appointment.
Also Check : Government of Romania MEAT Scholarship, 2022-2023
Harvard University Academy Scholars Program Eligibility
Applications are welcome from qualified persons without regard to nationality, gender, or race. The competition for these awards is open to recipients of PhD or comparable doctoral degree (within two years of the August 1, 2023, start date) and advanced doctoral candidates in the Social Sciences.
Scholars nearing dissertation completion must be able to submit degree conferral documentation issued by their university registrar’s office by June 30, 2023, for an August 1, 2023, start date. Individuals who hold or have completed another Harvard postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
- Canadian Government Banting Fellowships;
- KAUST Scholarship 2020 for Master and PhD Students;
- Japanese Government MEXT Scholarships (Master, PhD, Research).
How to Apply for the Harvard University Academy Scholars Program
Please use the apply button below to apply for the Harvard University Academy Scholars. The required documents for application are as follows:
- Curriculum vitae (CV) or resume; including list of publications
- Research proposal (2000 words maximum); including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work
- One scholarly writing sample (e.g., PhD dissertation chapter or peer-reviewed academic journal article); only ONE sample may be submitted and it must be in English
- A copy of your PhD program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded through the online application).
Letters of recommendation need to be uploaded by the deadline. All parts of the application, including the three letters of recommendation, are submitted online as PDF documents. For any questions, please send your message to [email protected].
Candidates will have till to submit their application for the Harvard University Academy Scholars Program. For more details, please visit the university website. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.