Applicants are invited to apply for the Fulbright Greek Graduate Students Scholarship. Awards are open to graduate students in all fields of study except medicine, dentistry and veterinary science or to those who wish to enter residency training programs. A very limited number of awards will be offered for architectural and law degrees, and toward Ph.D. degrees.
Candidates should already have applied to U.S. universities or be in the process of applying when they submit their Fulbright application. Admission to a U.S. university is not required at the time of application but is mandatory for the award of the grant.
Candidates are selected on the basis of academic excellence, potential for professional development, civic engagement, extra-curricular activities, and personal qualities/abilities to serve as a cultural ambassador for Greece.
Fulbright Awards offer financial support toward the first year of study but do not cover the full amount (university fees plus cost of living) for one year of U.S. study and beyond. The candidate is responsible for securing additional and adequate funding from personal and/or other sources and will need to provide financial evidence.
- Host Institution: Universities in the United States of America (USA).
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: up to one year.
- Target group: Open to Greek citizens.
Fulbright Greek Graduate Students Scholarship Benefits
The Fulbright Greek Graduate Students Scholarship provides successful applicants with the following benefits:
- Funding cannot exceed the amount of US $20,000 (maximum $2,000 per month for 10 months or one academic year).
- Round trip travel allowance according to Fulbright Travel Policies & Regulations.
- Limited health and accident insurance (for recipient only).
- Free Advising and Counseling Services on academic issues.
- Invitation to the Finalists Workshop.
- Pre-Departure Orientation program.
- Participation in the Annual Awards Ceremony.
- Fulbright Certificate of Award.
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa sponsorship.
- Gateway Orientation, Enrichment Seminars, Pre-Academic Programs, and other benefits/invitations offered by the cooperating agency in the United States: the Institute of International Education (IIE)
- Membership in the online global community for all participants of U.S. government sponsored exchange programs (such as the Fulbright program).
Fulbright Greek Graduate Students Scholarship Eligibility
Application for the Fulbright Greek Graduate Students Scholarship is open for candidates, who meet the following criteria:
- Greek citizenship and a valid Greek passport. Candidates with dual citizenship (U.S./Greek) or permanent residence in the United States are not eligible.
- Permanent residency in Greece and commitment to return to Greece following the academic program to fulfill the mission and aim of the Fulbright grant.
- A Bachelor Degree from a Greek institution of higher education with a grade point average (GPA) of 8.0/10.00 and above or a degree from Deree-The American College of Greece or Anatolia College with a GPA of 3.4/4.0 and above. For those students who are in their last year of undergraduate study, a GPA is required on the basis of their previous performance.
- English language fluency test scores, TOEFL or IELTS, GRE and/or GMAT, are solicited in accordance with U.S. university requirements.
- Candidates should apply to more than one U.S. institution.
- Candidates applying for a Master of Business Administration (MBA) should have at least two years of full-time relevant work experience since their graduation. Part-time employment while in school will not be considered satisfactory work experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates below the age of 28 at the time of application.
- Students who have already begun their studies in the United States are not eligible to apply. Applicants who have previously studied abroad in the U.S. will be expected to explain how their return to the U.S. for further study will add to their previous experience.
STEP 1. Registration Period: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 – January 15, 2021. No registration will be accepted beyond January 15, 2021 at midnight EET.
STEP 2. Online Application Submission Deadline: Friday, February 12, 2021. No applications will be accepted after February 12, 2021 at midnight EET.
For more detail the Fulbright Greek Graduate Students Scholarship and the application process, please visit the official page. To be the first to see latest opportunities, please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.