Application for the The AfDB Young Professionals Program (YPP) cohort 2020 is now open. The program targets High Potential, best-in-class talent young professionals with a strong passion for Africa’s development. The Program offers exceptional career opportunities to talented young professionals with leadership potential, an established record of outstanding academic and professional achievement to make a difference to the development of the African continent.
The AfDB Young Professionals Program is a three-year leadership opportunity for the development of Bank’s future workforce and leaders. The Bank aims attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development. Through the YPP, the Bank ensures continuity and excellence in both the management of its work programs and the provision of policy advice to its RMCs.
The Bank aims to offer this opportunity to 30 candidates for the 2020 cohort. The Bank is an equal opportunity employer. To this end, we are committed to achieving and maintaining a diverse workforce that reflects our diversity
AfDB Young Professionals Program Details
- Host Institution: African Development Bank.
- Focus Areas: Light Up and Power Africa, Feed Africa, Integrate Africa, Industrialize Africa, Improve the lives of the people of Africa.
- Number of awards: 30.
- Duration: Three years (36 months).
- Target group: Open to citizens of the following countries: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, eSwatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
AfDB Young Professionals Program Benefits
- The Young Professionals Program offers you a three- year platform to build an exceptional and fulfilling career in the Bank.
- There is a structure Young Professionals Learning Academy that is integral to the Program. Partnerships with experts from within the Bank and recognized institutions support the delivery of learning packs.
- The Learning academy also includes on- the- job- training supported by coaches, mentors and buddies. On boarding and orientation programs ensure faster integration into the Bank’s culture.
- If selected you will receive an official offer of employment.
Program Focus Areas
Power systems development (grid base power system, power utilities), Climate change and green growth (climate finance, climate adaptation), Energy statistics, policy and regulation (energy statistics), Renewable energy (off grid energy access), Energy partnerships (energy partnerships and stakeholders engagement, energy markets).
2. Feed Africa:
Agriculture & agro-industry (agribusiness development, agriculture research, production and sustainability), Agricultural finance & rural development (agricultural and rural finance, rural infrastructure development).
3. Integrate Africa:
Development research (macroeconomic policy, debt sustainability and forecasting, microeconomic, institutional and development impact), Governance and public financial management (program development, policy management), Statistics (economic and social statistics, statistical capacity building).
Private sector development (strategy and new product, portfolio asset management, special operations), Financial sector development (financial institutions, financial inclusion), Infrastructure, cities & urban development (transport and logistics, ICT), Industrial and trade development.
Water, human and social development (education, human capital and employment, sanitation and public health.
AfDB Young Professionals Program Eligibility
To qualify for the AfDB Young Professionals Program, Applicants must:
- Be a citizen of a member country of the Bank.
- Be 32 years of age or younger by 1st May 2020.
- Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
- Have at least 3 years work experience in the areas related to the high priority areas (Hi-5s) as mentioned above.
- Interested candidates with coding, e-development, animation and platforms designs and maintenance are required this year.
- Demonstrable hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries is a necessary requirement.
- Have passion for Africa’s Development
- Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others. Work effectively in teams with displayed high adaptability to a diverse environment.
- Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results- orientation and problem-solving capability.
- High business acumen and innovative mindset.
- Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
- Have skills that enable you work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
- Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and any other country in Africa where the Bank may require your services.
Interested candidates must check their eligibility and apply for the AfDB Young Professionals Program through the online platform. The YPP is highly competitive program and you are advised to provide as much relevant information as possible.
- Maximum two page Curriculum Vitae in Microsoft Word version.
- Copies of Academic Certificates/Transcripts.
- PhD Dissertation/Master’s Thesis topic (short summary), if applicable.
- You will be expected to write an essay of about 800 words.
To make a valid application, applicants must provide all requested data, scan and upload requested documents to the system. Kindly submit your online application beforemidnight (GMT) on the expiry date, November 13, 2019. For more detail on the AfDB Young Professionals Program, please visit the official page.